JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been thinking a lot about what I call the big 3 of the 338's:
A. 338 Lapua
B. 338 RUM
C. 338-378 Wby

I have the skill, and ability to practice at some long range shooting. (i did say practice.) I guess what I am saying is, I have done it enogh to know I am capable. I reload so ammo cost isn't a huge deal (though I am fully aware that these three are powder hogs). I can take the recoil, I've shot 340 Wby enough to know.

Though it may be assumed, I will state that, I am looking for a bolt gun, so "the Lapua can run semi-auto" isn't a great point. I hear belted brass may not have the reload life expectancy as non-belted, so that may put the RUM over the Wby.

I hear a LOT about the Lapua lately, but only say the last 5 yrs or so. I have always thought I would go with the Wby, but the Lapua got me thinking more, and I figured while at it I ought to consider the RUM. Not sure how Wby reloading is with the radii sholder.

I wonder about the long term availability of the RUM. I know Lapua will stick cause of the military.

Any pointers fellow NWFA members?

I asked because I've seen 750 Gr. A-max 50BMG ammo for about $56 a box of 10.
$30-$35 bucks for M-33 FMJ box of 10.
It will always be around [If not banned]. And it's not a belted magnum.

And 338 Lapua match type ammo is $75-$110 for a box of 20.
But I don't reload. So not sure of those prices.

Still. If your gona go as big as .338. Why not go to .50? ;)

I have a 338 Winnie. Does everything I need come elk season. All the others just burn more powder.
Based on my notes the best load I worked up for my 338 was 75 grains of H4831 which moved the Sierra 250's at 2850 fps.

I got the 338-378 and the thing is like a laser out to 500ish yards. A real elk hammer out to 1k if you are into that.
the down side is it eats up 6 bucks a shot unless you are reloading and even then brass costs about as much as a full cartridge.

Thank you all for the replies...
I guess I could consider the 338 win, as well. Not that I hadn't thought of it, just kinda wrote it off years ago, because I thought at the time I wanted a 325wsm (glad I got off that train). Anyway...
50 bmg? Not interested.
I will read through the links above.
What is long range to me in this question? 800 - 1000 yds.

PS Mainly something that delivers a 338 bullet near (or above):
  • 2,000 ft*lbs at 500 yds, and
  • 1,000 ft*lbs at 1,000 yds
Not too concerned about bullet weight yet. 225-300 grain.

A 338 Winchester shooting a 250gr bullet at 2850 from the muzzle gives you 2545 ft-lbs at 500 and 1348 ft-lbs at 1000.

Zeroed at 100 yds, that load drops 300.77 inches.

I went with the .338 Lapua, yes brass is a spendy investment. But you get 15-20 reloadings with it. Its a great case design. The .338 RUM I only got to 3-5 reloads on the brass, and had 75% separations.
Barrel life out of the .338-378 Wby and brass cost just doesn't interest me.

I've had awesome luck with the Lapua, so i'm sticking with it. Sierra makes a couple great bullets for it. The Sierra 300 grain SMK and the 250 grain SMK.
500 yard accuracy is amazing! As is 800 yard plus, just incredible.

In the future I have my eye on something new. Its very well designed, and they say its going to be king of 2 miles. But this is a long way down the road.

warlord.jpg

Thank you all for the replies...
I guess I could consider the 338 win, as well. Not that I hadn't thought of it, just kinda wrote it off years ago, because I thought at the time I wanted a 325wsm (glad I got off that train). Anyway...
50 bmg? Not interested.
I will read through the links above.
What is long range to me in this question? 800 - 1000 yds.

Practically speaking, where are you considering shooting 800-1000 yards? Range shooting? Hill country? I understand the military went to a 300 Winchester rather than 338 Lapua because the average sniper could only handle the 300 Win. I have 338 Win and feel comfortable well onto 400 yards under hunting conditions. But my last Elk was at 90 yards and the one before that was at 200 yds. The first shot with 338 and the second with 30 06.

If you are serious about 1000 yards maybe the 338 Lapua would do the trick. But, is that a "practical" purchase for you? Routine ammo availability may be an issue.

There is another round out there I know little about: 30/338.

I was going to say the 30/378, but it's supposed to be waaaay spendy.
I was reading an article about flat shooting calibers, but I'm afraid this is not my fort'e

Found this chart in the article for bullet drop at 900yards but not sure on the details.

IMG_2323.JPG

I jumped in to the .338 Lapua with both feet and haven't looked back! I have found in my situation that both the .300 win mag AND the .338 win mag sort of fall short, with both getting very little use ( not that they are a bad choice) but from 30/06 all the way up to .375 Wetherby mag, I found my self lacking an in between round, and that's where the .338 L.M comes in handy! One major gain over the 338 win is once bullet weight gets over 250 gr, the L.M. is where things really shine. Look at the Ballistics of the magic 3's 30 in barrel, 300 gr bullet at 3000 fps!!! No problems at all with THAT set of numbers, and for bucking the wind at ranges beyond 300 yards, the L.M. is king!!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top