JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in agreement with you on the 338 win mag. However, that seems like an awully hot load. Long time user here an I love the 250gr. sierra game king. That reminds me, I know where a few old boxes are here locally. I'm going to go and buy those suckers right now!!! Anyway, sorry about the side track. The others the OP mentioned are way overkill and unnecessarily powerful. Not enough gain there to really outweigh the negatives. JMHO.....

Yup, it's definitely pushing the envelope. I wouldn't recommend it for an off-the-shelf rifle. Mine's a custom built. Sako action, Shilen barrel. I'm a lefty and old. When I first needed a left-handed 338 back in the late 80s you couldn't fine one so I had one built.

I'm sorry, but I can not appreciate the reality of recovering an Elk after a 2 mile shot. A 1000 yards is tough enough. I like them within 300 yards. I'm thinking that too much can go wrong when shooting a Elk at 1000-2000 yards or 2 miles. How about the guy that shot the elk from a great distance only to find several hunters butchering the elk when he arrived. I think the story was that the butchering hunters "finally" put the elk down with their final shot, if there was a final shot.

Good luck finding 338 Lapua at Walmart.

Everyone always say I need rifle that I can get ammo anywhere for it. Or I want the same thing the military uses, why cuz the military always shares ammo with civilians? ;) I tell you what it, if a need arises that you ever need to walk into a hardware store to pick up a box of 30-06, it will be long gone. :eek:

Last Edited:
Everyone always say I need rifle that I can get ammo anywhere for it. Or I want toe same thing the military uses, why cuz the military always shares ammo with civilians? ;) I tell you what it, if a need arises that you ever need to walk into a hardware store to pick up a box of 30-06, it will be long gone. :eek:

My uncle fought in Europe in WWII. He was among many other GIs that liberated POW camps, concentration camps, and brothels where he delivered babies for several days. One item he drilled into my head when I was a child and teen when we would go hunting or shooting at the local police range. He instructed that one should always have weapons that were compatible with US Government ammunition. This is very good advice--heaven forbid the need arises to seek out government ammo. He was also suggesting that commercial manufactures of government calibers would make it easier for civilians to purchase ammo of government calibers in times of war or political stress on civilian markets. Nice to have the latest and greatest $2000 rifle but it is worthless if commercial ammo is not available. Almost certain that in times of stress one would expect that commercial 308, 5.56, 223, 9 mm ammo would be available. Always good to have calibers that the police use.

Everyone always say I need rifle that I can get ammo anywhere for it. Or I want the same thing the military uses, why cuz the military always shares ammo with civilians? ;) I tell you what it, if a need arises that you ever need to walk into a hardware store to pick up a box of 30-06, it will be long gone. :eek:

My uncle fought in Europe in WWII. He was among many other GIs that liberated POW camps, concentration camps, and brothels where he delivered babies for several days. One item he drilled into my head when I was a child and teen when we would go hunting or shooting at the local police range. He instructed that one should always have weapons that were compatible with US Government ammunition. This is very good advice--heaven forbid the need arises to seek out government ammo. He was also suggesting that commercial manufactures of government calibers would make it easier for civilians to purchase ammo of government calibers in times of war or political stress on civilian markets. Nice to have the latest and greatest $2000 rifle but it is worthless if commercial ammo is not available. Almost certain that in times of stress one would expect that commercial 308, 5.56, 223, 9 mm ammo would be available. Always good to have calibers that the police use.

I agree, but we aren't talking about SHTF rifles, we are talking about a specialty caliber. I will say that 3 years ago there wasn't any 9mm, .308, .223/5.56 to be had for love or money!

Does one really need to Justify a certain Cal choice? I don't! I use what I want for what ever I want, I hunt ethically so it matters not how big or powerful a rifle I use or the cost of ammo and availability! And yes, Now days I can walk into any store worthy of calling it self a gun shop and find ammo if I really need it! I much prefer loading my own, Not because it's cheaper, but I can do far better then any factory load and it's absolute performance I am after what ever the cost! If the OP really wants to stretch things out, the L.M is KING of that game!!!

A serious LR hunter generally use specially loaded ammo anyway. CoreLokts and powerpoints aren't going to cut it. That is why I prefer the 338 Edge. The components and actions needed are standard.
Agreed! Absolute performance should be the standard for all who hunt! Hand loading ( for those that do) is THE best way to get there! For those that do not, you will be paying a premium for factory loads and will not get the true performance out of your rifle!

I forgot to add in the text the 300 WM as a Government Round. Accurate or not one Pdx Police Swat Member told me at Tri-County they use 300 WM. I read within the last several years that the military elected the 300 WM for their snipers as the primary round based the findings that most of their snipers could not accurately shoot and endure the recoil of the 338 Lapua. I would have thought that within the context of the Pdx SWAT applications and within a city that the 308 would have done the work.

I have made it a point to respect my uncle's advise.

I agree, but we aren't talking about SHTF rifles, we are talking about a specialty caliber. I will say that 3 years ago there wasn't any 9mm, .308, .223/5.56 to be had for love or money!

I remember this well but I also remember that what was much more easily available was the 40 SW. People that had the 40 SW handguns generally had a much easier access to ammo at BiMart.

Lots of back and forth here. Seems like two issues are at the top of the discussion.

One is size and caliber for best energy at a distance, which seemed to have turned the thread into a similar 9vs40vs45 thread. I have no say in that topic, really a caliber that is slightly better, is slightly better. No sense in heated debate. They are all pretty close, just a matter of your dedication to the load or ability to buy in most stores and such.

The other topic seems to be the type of hunter. I am not new to this topic. Back in NV we had the same type of banter, those that stalk and those that shoot. There were always those guys that had the desire to get into the woods or open desert plains and stalk their hunt. This did not require a precision based rifle system and ammunition. Just a good sense of nature and a decent shot. The opposite side was those that parked their truck with ATV in tow. Set up camp. Then proceeded to glass a 6 mile perimeter. Maybe drive their ATV a mile this or that direction. Make a 800-1400 yard shot. Drive their ATV to their kill and pack out.

These two types of hunters exist. Their is more and more being done to support the drive and shoot type these days with firearm tech and other technologies coming into play. If your the opposite type of hunter, you may not understand the other. That doesn't mean they are better or worse than you. They just choose to hunt differently.

Ultimately if enough people don't like one type of hunting or the other, it can be regulated out through pressuring those in office. However, as long as it is legal to do so, people will and I see nothing wrong with it.

Benchrest groups are irrelevant.

Anyone that shoots at an Elk from 1,000 yard away in the field deserves to have his hunting license pulled.

Lance first let me say this is NOT a bench rest group. The groups shot are all shot in various hunting scenarios.
Second let me say that I am sorry you feel that way but just because you THINK its unethical does not make it so and you should get over yourself. I have spent MANY hours practicing and many hundreds of dollars and rounds of ammo not only loading for accuracy but energy at range. Your argument is old and out dated.

I tend to agree with Lance. i think the risk is so high to shoot an elk at 1000 yards to risk wounding or disabling the animal is so high-too much could go wrong. I can see inside 300-400 yards, maybe 600, preferably less; regardless of how well schooled the shooter is. Shooting an animal at that distance and having it wander off would be awful.

No argument! That would be awful! THAT is why I use a round with more energy at 400 yards than an 06 has at the muzzle and has the capability to hit a 10 inch target at 1000 yards when used correctly. I do not argue that it is your right and responsibility to shoot within your capabilities. No doubt! But it is not your right to tell me that I am being unethical when I am doing the same thing within MY capabilities!