JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I normally seem to want any .22 I see or get to shoot the MK's have always had a spot in my heart. Probably because an old original was my first ever handgun. The one big upside to the MKIV is after market. So many of them are sold there is a ton of stuff for them. Having had all of them over the years the MKIV take down system was a masterpiece of engineering. They are SOOO easy to take down for cleaning.

Best answer is both, second best answer is the MK4 22/45. I have the Taurus and several MK4 22/45's. I love them all but for best all around purposes the Ruger is a no brainer. I can't believe someone suggested that the Ruger trigger is bad but loves the Taurus?!? They are not the same class as each other. Blasting with the Taurus is fun but the way the barrel locks back up after cycling will have you chasing sights all day, not much precision to be had.

Any preference on the mk4 lite versus mk4 tactical?
That becomes a very personal choice. I have a 22/45 LITE that I LOVE. Wife bought me a MKIII version of this right after they hit and I loved the pistol. The MKIII system for take down sucked BAD as the damn frame had just enough give to make it easy to brick. When the MKIV hit I bought one and gave up on the MKIII. Have an old 22/45 MKII that is metal and bull barrel. The extra weight does make it feel nice but still favor the LITE. So really for a choice? You would really need to handle both and see if one feels like more your bag than the other.

The Ruger Mk series buy whatever flavor you want and there are tons of upgrades and you can make it yours ! The other makes and models are great but you are limited on accessories and now with the MKIV one button take down makes a awesome suppressor host !

Best answer is both, second best answer is the MK4 22/45. I have the Taurus and several MK4 22/45's. I love them all but for best all around purposes the Ruger is a no brainer. I can't believe someone suggested that the Ruger trigger is bad but loves the Taurus?!? They are not the same class as each other. Blasting with the Taurus is fun but the way the barrel locks back up after cycling will have you chasing sights all day, not much precision to be had.
That was me, and it was from personal experience. The one I owned had a really lousy trigger, laughably heavy for a target gun. Apparently I'm not the only one either. Several people at my club shoot them all the time and they wholly recommend a trigger. And I didn't say I love the Taurus, I said I haven't had any issues with mine.

I wanted more than "humble opinions" about target .22 pistols to be occasionally utilized for hunting.

Therefore, I tested some of the best ever made with quality hunting ammo: You can see those results here:

The boys here talking about those Ruger MK "whatevers" are on the same clear trail I found. Best for the money, and sometimes even the best.

22 revolvers are so much more versatile. From cb caps, subsonics, shot, 22 shorts, 22l, and 22lr's. Some of the best close range instinctive shooting was when I had a rat problem in the chicken coop. 22 shot shells worked wonders and I didn't put any holes in the coop. A bit more $$ but it's an investment.

1698888847146.png

Had the chance to shoot both last weekend. Zero chance I'd go with the Taurus. Too much plastic, terrible trigger, so-so reliability. The Ruger was good, but I'd take a stock Buckmark any day.

Here is a suggestion, call around local shooting ranges that rent out Taurus TX22 and both models of Ruger Mk4 and shoot them. You will find out which one you want to buy.

That was me, and it was from personal experience. The one I owned had a really lousy trigger, laughably heavy for a target gun. Apparently I'm not the only one either. Several people at my club shoot them all the time and they wholly recommend a trigger. And I didn't say I love the Taurus, I said I haven't had any issues with mine.
You did however prefer the Taurus. I just wanted an honest shot for the OP. Out of the six Rugers and one TX that I own, hands down quality wise (including triggers) the Ruger wins. Still didn't stop me from purchasing the Taurus though, it is good enough for it's intended purpose but comparing them is like comparing a Kia to a Lexus or something like that. Sorry about your experience but it sounds a little limited.

22 revolvers are so much more versatile. From cb caps, subsonics, shot, 22 shorts, 22l, and 22lr's. Some of the best close range instinctive shooting was when I had a rat problem in the chicken coop. 22 shot shells worked wonders and I didn't put any holes in the coop. A bit more $$ but it's an investment.

View attachment 1753311
My 617 is my favorite 22lr pistol, I intentionally left it out of this discussion as the OP was asking about two specific pistols. I wholeheartedly agree though, the S&W is light years ahead of any semi auto.

I wouldn't even put these two against each other. If you're looking for a target-grade shooter the TX-22 probably isn't your thing. Mine is plenty accurate but its not really a "competition" grade gun regardless of the naming. I'm not a Taurus fan either but the TX-22 just works. Good alternative to a G44 or M&P 22.

You did however prefer the Taurus. I just wanted an honest shot for the OP. Out of the six Rugers and one TX that I own, hands down quality wise (including triggers) the Ruger wins. Still didn't stop me from purchasing the Taurus though, it is good enough for it's intended purpose but comparing them is like comparing a Kia to a Lexus or something like that. Sorry about your experience but it sounds a little limited.
I don't even prefer the Taurus. I said I haven't had any issues. I also said the above so I'm not gonna retype it. I did however say the trigger in the 22/45 sucks and recommended a trigger upgrade.

I don't even prefer the Taurus. I said I haven't had any issues. I also said the above so I'm not gonna retype it. I did however say the trigger in the 22/45 sucks and recommended a trigger upgrade.
You are correct in your recalling of your original statement. But that being said, you also stated that you have little experience with the 22/45 triggers. We can agree to disagree here if you choose a sample size of so little doesn't say too much. Maybe your luck is like my luck in life and my luck with 22/45's is six out of six?!? Who knows?

You are correct in your recalling of your original statement. But that being said, you also stated that you have little experience with the 22/45 triggers. We can agree to disagree here if you choose a sample size of so little doesn't say too much. Maybe your luck is like my luck in life and my luck with 22/45's is six out of six?!? Who knows?
Where did I state how much experience I have with the 22/45? Why do you keep twisting everything I post? Please reread what I've posted so far before you keep quoting me.

You stated the triggers are not so great, all with out much experience at all. Nothing quoted here, hope it helps. Shooting two of a type of gun doesn't mean a large sampling or even much at all in the big picture. Like I tried earlier, we can agree to disagree but if you must continue please keep it up.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top