JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been noticing more and more how rare it is to work with people who think of their coworkers as a team working toward the same goal. It always sounds like when extra shifts are required, or there's a need for someone to go above and beyond, everyone scatters like roaches when the light comes on. I've always tried to be the guy who volunteers for the "cruddy" shifts and extra hours because someone has to do it, might as well be me. And I just don't understand why that's not the norm anymore? Wasn't it not so long ago that men took pride in being relied on? That we weren't all just in it for ourselves, burn the rest "I'll get mine" etc, etc. Does anyone else feel like this is just the way things are now?

"Your a very special person, insert name of child here, don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Or...

"I worked hard so my kids don't have to."

Or...

You get the point.

Yes sadly this is a rapidly dying thing, work ethic. I was supposed to have a week off this last week. Had it approved months ago. Came time and due to a lack of caring while my boss was off, the days were not covered. No one could be found to fill them. So I came to work anyway for most of them. Got a lot of thanks for doing so. It is amazing now when we are short and start calling for others to cover no one will answer the phone or return messages. <shrug>

Participation trophies.
On that note, I also remember when those started being a thing. I used to win the 100yd dash every single time as a kid. Had a ton of blue ribbons to show for it. Then I got a purple ribbon (you tried) even though I won. First taste of the new order of things

As kids we worked picking berries, beans, etc. Bought our school clothes etc.
By the time my kids were the same age libs would not allow kids younger than 16 to work. Congrats society, this is what you have created......

I volunteer for the extra hours and the "cruddy shifts" at work. Not because of my "work ethic" (which is pretty good), but because I like to get paid.:s0092:

I learned LONG ago there is often another benefit to taking on extra work. Right now the employment picture is super rosy. Makes a lot of people get even more "I could care less". This kind of thing never lasts though. People in charge work over time to screw it all up and they will again. When work suddenly starts to go away often the workers who showed up and went the extra are left working. While those who could have cared less suddenly find themselves with lots of extra time on their hands.

Been noticing more and more how rare it is to work with people who think of their coworkers as a team working toward the same goal. It always sounds like when extra shifts are required, or there's a need for someone to go above and beyond, everyone scatters like roaches when the light comes on. I've always tried to be the guy who volunteers for the "cruddy" shifts and extra hours because someone has to do it, might as well be me. And I just don't understand why that's not the norm anymore? Wasn't it not so long ago that men took pride in being relied on? That we weren't all just in it for ourselves, burn the rest "I'll get mine" etc, etc. Does anyone else feel like this is just the way things are now?

I'm going with @Reno and @Kruel J 's responses. Theres ZERO work ethic from anyone anymore. I've had to bite my tongue this last week with working with the new guys for fear of offending someone. If you suck, YOU SUCK!!! I have no problem telling someone that but apparently that's NOT what you're supposed to do. I'm just gonna lose my mind and rant if I continue any further so.....CARRY ON!

I'm going with @Reno and @Kruel J 's responses. Theres ZERO work ethic from anyone anymore. I've had to bite my tongue this last week with working with the new guys for fear of offending someone. If you suck, YOU SUCK!!! I have no problem telling someone that but apparently that's NOT what you're supposed to do. I'm just gonna lose my mind and rant if I continue any further so.....CARRY ON!

Yeahbut, I sat in the outfield picking daisies and missing every ball hit near me. But I participated and my mom told me I was special. Where's my trophy? :rolleyes:

Yeahbut, I sat in the outfield picking daisies and missing every ball hit near me. But I participated and my mom told me I was special. Where's my trophy? :rolleyes:

Yep not to mention the kids who walk out with a diploma who are functional illiterates. Ask a lot of the teachers and they tell you if they dare to fail a child who will not try here come parent to scream and make threats. So then same parents wonder why junior is still living at home when he is 30.

Yep not to mention the kids who walk out with a diploma who are functional illiterates. Ask a lot of the teachers and they tell you if they dare to fail a child who will not try here come parent to scream and make threats. So then same parents wonder why junior is still living at home when he is 30.

Well, mom and dad put a cell phone in their hands at 8, "helped" them with their homework until graduation day, told them every day how special they are and how their feelings are more important than facts all while buying them a new car and paying for the gas and insurance. I guess it was easier than listening to them complain and whine and being told to f-off while worrying that their little "angel" might call the police if they felt mom and dad weren't being fair.

Nobody is special, nobody "deserves" anything more than what they earn. Nobody.

I used to travel around with a good group of cable splicers, we were hard working, put out quality jobs and would do what needed to be done to finish the jobs so we can move on to the next one.

If you don't work you don't get paid oh, well that was back then now you live off of the government.

We make bank for almost 15 years and then I stopped traveling to settle down with the family.
Tough life traveling the country from job to job away from family.

"Laziness and cowardice are the reasons why so great a portion of mankind, after nature has long since discharged them from external direction, nevertheless remains under lifelong tutelage, and why it is so easy for others to set themselves up as their guardians. It is so easy not to be of age. If I have a book which understands for me, a pastor who has a conscience for me, a physician who decides my diet, and so forth, I need not trouble myself. I need not think, if I can only pay - others will easily undertake the irksome work for me." - Immanuel Kant, 1784

There has always been laziness, slackers, and hangers-on. It may look a little different each generation but it's the same beast.

There are a lot of lazy people in the world (and there always has been). There are also people that work hard day in and day out.

A few of us seek out challenges, volunteer, take on extra burdens, and push beyond our comfort zone. As I'm sure many of you can attest the reward for hard work extends far beyond the paycheck.

Let the grasshoppers laze away in the sun...be the ant storing up food for the winter and a good life will be the reward.

Why do people not have a work ethic anymore?? Because parents never instilled one in their kids. People who have one earned their own money from very early on. How many of you started working at 15-16, etc for $ ? I caddied at a nearby golf course, carrying doubles for $40 a round. I didn't even know how to play golf!

Told our daughter when she was 13 that if she wanted a drivers license at 16 she had to come up with the difference in our insurance before she could get one. That meant that she had 3 years to come up with a job to make that $. Had her layout the $450 in cash on the table so she could see how much it was.
After school, she kept her job in 2008 when many others were losing theirs. She is a hard worker and her company loves her for it. Her first child is due in 8 weeks and I hope she passes this lesson along.
I've always said that if you want to give your children something, give them a work ethic. If they have that you'll never need worry about them in life.

My parents never instilled anything in me but their examples of anger, hostility and abandonment. That being said, I learned to watch the lives of people older than me and made the decision to learn from THEIR success and/or failures. Always took advantage of opportunities presented even when my fear of failure tried to keep me where I was. In the end I have not been as successful as some others, but statistically more successful than many. It's either in a man or not...My $0.02

I wouldn't say not wanting to work extra crappy shifts is having bad work ethic. I already work graveyard weekends. Thats every Friday-Sunday and every other Thursday as well. I'm a damm hard good worker and do take pride in my work but I dont want to come in and work extra unless I need the extra $. What bugs me is the people who skate by when working their regular shift. Those who put in about 2 hours worth of real work for a 12hr shift. And then those people go in for over time and do the same thing.

In the end I have not been as successful as some others, but statistically more successful than many. It's either in a man or not...My $0.02
100% agree here. I actually watched this interview this morning. Whether you like the guy or not, he makes some excellent points about working hard to move up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top