JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

Just built a pistol ar from a kit, but wanted to put my Fat Comp 2 on the end. However, the threaded part of the muzzle is recessed into the hand guard, and only a few threads are exposed. I'd like to keep this handguard, and wanted to ask if anyone knows where to find a threaded barrel extension with the same thread so that it will just extend the barrel by about half an in or 3/4 in.

The handguard is really slim, so the Fat Comp diameter is the same as the HG. I'd like to have a slight extension so that I can fit the Fat Comp either flush or with a very small gap.

Here's a few photos to show what's going on.

image_zpsdzfplni7.jpg image_zps1rddkrup.jpg image_zpsgms6mfnz.jpg

Thanks for the input, I didn't find anything like it online, but I wanted to ask the pros here to make absolutely sure.

Another think I was thinking was maybe have someone trim the handguard back half an inch to the base of the threads.

Anyone have any expertise in this? I have no experience in metalworking, but maybe its something that is easily done?

shorten the front of your hand guard, or the back, or middle, have a brass extension turned on a lathe look in an SAE catalog for an appropriate substitute

Last Edited:
the other option would be have the back half inch of your fat comp turned down to fit inside of the hand guard on a lathe. It looks like your barrel sticks out 1/10th to 1/8th inch beyond the barrel - if you use an extension you will have at least 1/4" gap if you want the extension to have any strength - either that or go with an adapter that converts to 5/8x24 (AR10 308 thread pitch) and either get the comp for 308 or have yours tapped to that pitch.

If it was me, I would have a machinist cut the front of the hand guard down enough to thread the comp completely, but remove only the radius of the fat comp and leave the top portion of the rail alone so that it extends over the fat comp.
You wouldn't have to re-anodize the end of the rail, only touch up the newly milled ends with a Birchwood Casey Super Black touch up pen.

That would be a custom thread adaptor for sure! But you maybe able to find one online. I didn't see one on tros website.
One could be made from a barrel stub that already has the outside threads cut on it.

1/2-28 - 1/2-28, and leave enough room to use a crush washer for flush alignment.

I know a gunsmith that has a lathe, if you cannot find what your looking for! :)

If it was me, I would have a machinist cut the front of the hand guard down enough to thread the comp completely, but remove only the radius of the fat comp and leave the top portion of the rail alone so that it extends over the fat comp.
You wouldn't have to re-anodize the end of the rail, only touch up the newly milled ends with a Birchwood Casey Super Black touch up pen.

Great idea, I was actually contemplating if that was possible as I was staring at it. It would give a nice integrated look.

Any good machinists one here willing to help me out? Live in South Seattle, Willing to pay in beer, Georgetown Brewery Manny's.... Mmmm... or whatever currency is popular atm.

Thanks for all the great input guys! I think trimming back the hand guard would be the most cost effective way, would also make the OAL a half in shorter as well.;)

If you tried to shorten the back end of the hand guard, your picatinny rail slots wouldn't have the same spacing as the receiver.
I have cut aluminum on my table saw and if you had it jigged up vertically tight enough, it would only take one pass at the right saw blade height to cut a slot right below the rail section you want to save. then lay the bottom flat and run it thru to the proper length.

Last Edited:
Hey guys,

Just built a pistol ar from a kit, but wanted to put my Fat Comp 2 on the end. However, the threaded part of the muzzle is recessed into the hand guard, and only a few threads are exposed. I'd like to keep this handguard, and wanted to ask if anyone knows where to find a threaded barrel extension with the same thread so that it will just extend the barrel by about half an in or 3/4 in.

The handguard is really slim, so the Fat Comp diameter is the same as the HG. I'd like to have a slight extension so that I can fit the Fat Comp either flush or with a very small gap.

Here's a few photos to show what's going on.

View attachment 299761 View attachment 299762 View attachment 299763
A 1/2x28 too 1/2x28 barrel adapter will work. I have a ICD BFD XL and that's what I'm gonna has to use for mine!

41C10A5C-F928-4211-A91D-BBFB3130D086.jpeg 7A051BAA-9122-487D-9699-95B34E238927.jpeg 5E33183E-26A8-4072-8190-AA04CE09A28B.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top