JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Guys,

I've finally decided to buy my first and likely only AR15. The thing is that I am only interested in the old triangle hand guard A1 variant such as I carried in the early 80's. Is there one being made commercially that is of good quality and reliable ( the option I'd prefer ) or am I going to have to get someone to build me one ? ( I'm inept as a gunsmith and do not wish to invest in a bunch of special tools, not to mention the learning curve. )

Thanks,

Clambo

Do you mean the Colt SP-1 Sporter

01.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

That looks like it to me. I'm assuming there is a forward assist on the other side. I realize these barrels will only stabilize the lighter bullets but thats okay by me. 300 meters is fine. Thanks !

SP1's are not all that uncommon, however they do kind of bring a premium over more current offerings, especially for the features you get.

If you are just going for the "look" build a retro AR with new parts is probably the simplest thing. There are lots of folks who are qualified to build one. I could refer you to several around Seattle but I suspect there are plenty that are much closer to you.

The SP-1 Sporter is a slick sided, large pin model upper and are only chambered for .223 ammo.
They are also parkerized, so if you want the real look, you would spend some coin having one put together.
I lucked out with mine, it was stashed under a waterbed frame since 1977.
Brand new in the box and when I discovered it, the deceased owners widow gave it to me for an x-mas present.

Just off the top of my head.

It kind of depends on how authentic

Colt sporter 2 is probably the closest you will get with a factory rifle just swop out the hand guards and you are done. It will be hard to find.

but oly did make some A1 receivers and does dmps and bushmaster but they are the A1 C7 rifles just add colt triangle hand guards and possibly a A1 delta ring and a A1 stock

or just build one lmk i may be of assistance but know this authentic colt parts for that era have gone up in value a lot since the end of the 94 Klinton ban. But i can help you make one that looks right

there are many makers of the A1 C7 upper receiver thats the A1 with shell deflector those are pretty common and you can build from that bushmaster and DPMS

you can buy a A1 parts kits from various sources just ad a lower or lower and a barrel

i could go on and on but thats enough to get you started

Last Edited:
A1's did not come with a forward assist. If it has a forward assist, its not an A1.

A2's came with a forward assist as the forward assist was an afterthought to the original design to help improve reliability in the field.

Here you can compare how the platform has evolved:

M16 A1, M16 A2, and M4 A3

110_0068.jpg

*note* not my guns or my picture... just happened to have the 3 side by side in order and showing the ejection port side of the gun. :D

There is an outfit that advertizes in Shotgun News that sells retro AR parts. You can buy a slick side upper and a lower with no fence or a partial fence. You can even buy the early style tele stocks and charging handles from them. I cant think of the name of the outfit but they seem to always be in there.

Do you mean the Colt SP-1 Sporter

View attachment 109490
I'm with you on that clambo! I too like the classic look of the old style hand guards and carry handle/sites. How drastically different it looked from anything else that came before!
I'm sure that for functionality and accessories the modern versions are superior but on style the old version just seems right!
I seem to remember one year maybe 83? or so we had a lot of changes in the Army. Plain Green Fatigues to Cammo, Steel Pot helmets to Kevlar and new style handguards on our M16s.

sorry, had it right in my head lol... early M16* did not come with forward assist. M16A1 did as it was an army requirement for adoption.

also colt sp1 = no forward assist.

colt-ar15-sp1-intero-copia.jpg

You'll need to find an A1 clone on Gunbroker (if you want a true clone with fwd assist). Of course you could go with an SP-1 as mentioned earlier, but that isn't really an A1 clone.

Not sure about building from a kit these days because the kit quality seems to be rather low. I built two from kits a couple of years ago and the quality of the parts was excellent. The biggest task was finding correct Colt barrels on Gunbroker. I wasn't about to use after market barrels on clone builds.

There's alot of details that need to be tended to, including the correct finish and engraving on the lower, and the correct finish on the trigger group and other small parts. This all costs money and takes alot of time. So it would be easiest to just buy a rifle from someone who has already done this work, and is willing to sell.

m16a1_rear_side_full.jpg right_side_half_closeup.jpg left_side_half_closeup.jpg

Last Edited:
Last Christmas I was removing an old waterbed frame in the master bedroom of the 80 yr old widow that I take care of and this shows up.
Her deceased husband was a very good friend of mine and he had hidden this new 1977 Colt SP-1 under the beds wood supports.
She was visiting relatives back East and after I told her about finding the Colt, she gave it to as an X-Mas gift.
It was a nice surprise to say the least. ar-15 colt 001.JPG

Last Edited:
Back in '87-ish I bought a NIB factory Colt Sporter-II from The Rod & Gun club when I was stationed in Germany.

It has an A-1 type upper w/FA, A-1 rear sight, and A-2 shell deflector.

It has an A-1 slab side lower, A-2 round hand guards and buttstock, and an A-2 5.56 chambered 1/7 twist HBAR.

Crazy, eh? :rolleyes:

I plan to have that one buried with me when I die. o_O

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews