JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's been years ago now, but a buddy and I were sturgeon fishing on the Willamette in February and a couple of tugs, ("Pushes" actually, with the flat fronts) had a little game of "Push O' War" for a minute or so out in the middle of the river. Pretty cool to watch the nose-to-nose battle.

I am trained and have run everything from a 1 yard crab steer JCB loader (the kind that would be used to load pickups at a landscape supply. To Cat 988H's with 11 cu yd roll buckets that can load a 53' chip trailer in a few scoops. And the first thing you learn is to never drive around with your bucket up in the air ESPECIALLY if it is loaded.

I have even run a New Holland 130 with a Hay Squeeze on it for loading Grass straw on 96ft long flat bed rigs. Now that takes some skill as you have to be able to leave the stack on the truck and back straight out or the stack will shift.

I think all told I have run some 12 different models of front end loaders both during the day and actually a lot at night.

I drive dump truck now and our loader operator for the pipe crew and I were having a good laugh at this video yesterday.

Not many people remember that one of the first things that the future Mythbusters Adam and Jamie worked on together was one of the Battlebots. Theirs was so dangerous that the judges took it out of competition and awarded honorary prizes to it!
It was "Blendo".

Yeah - a dozer would finish off a FEL.

However, it wouldn't do anything to a very large excavator.

When I was young I worked in logging for a while, and one of the jobs I did was a choker setter, sometimes behind a skidder. During a break once, I watched a large dozer try to push an even larger log loader (basically a large excavator with a grapple and special boom on it) up a slight hill). All the loader had to do was stop moving and the dozer just sat there and spun its tracks. If the guy in the loaded wanted to, he could have just swung around and made a mess out of the top of the dozer with the grapple, maybe even tipped the dozer over.

When carrying a load over any distance, keeping the bucket low lowers the center of gravity and makes the tractor more stable. This is true from a small Kabota to a 988 (or 992 which I never got to try). Most work sites don't allow buckets higher than worker's heads for OSHA and safety issues. Dozers, like D7's through D9's, push scrapers frequently to keep them from getting stuck and maximize their efficiency; and frequently any other rig that might need a push through rough terrain or grade. I've done it with a Dresser TD-25 plenty.
I ran a 988B for years, and had some interesting times with it. Once a dim-witted new employee parked a ford ranger (the compact version) on the edge of work pad, right into a blindspot that was my backup space as I fed a large tub grinder. He managed to park it and walk away without me seeing him at all. Over several 'cycles' where I ran over the same ground in a repetitive track loading the tub grinder, using the backup space over and over, I managed to push the ford over the side of the pad (completely unbeknownst to me!) which was probably 40 feet above the next terrace below. The ford rolled down, and not in a clean roll over kind of way. The guy came back, wondering where his truck was (a company truck).... he started yelling at me, which was the first moment I became aware of what happened. He was fired instantly.
Another time I got called over by the foreman with the 988 to help right a Case dozer (mid-sized, I forget what model) that had gotten sideways while trying to load onto a lowboy hauler as the track hydraulics were busted. I picked up the rear and scooched it over a few times. The 988 never grunted.

Anyways, I've always wondered about an all out fight with heavy equipment; that video is great! I wish they had a variety of tractors involved, with teams, and maybe an object to move into a goal zone or something. Like tractor polo or something. One has a lot of time to think of things when you're wrangling tractors all day, year after year, and you learn some pretty neat tricks too.

Last Edited:
Testosterone fueled events are pretty universal; the medium and tools can change, but now with so many injectable hormones around, almost anyone can take part:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top