JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
put a good number of rounds through my AR. over 2,000 it has 16" 1:9 chrome lined barrel. any one know what the life of these are? when I used to work on M134's and M2 .50 cal's they went for a bout 10,000 to 15,000. but I don't know much about the little ones

thats still low rds . 25k rds then you can start shopping for a new one .

at about 10K your accuracy will start to deteriorate but at 25k then its probably going to be shot out.

other factors do play into this like type of ammo, how many cleanings , how much rapid fire , will determine how long it will last

when your groups loosen up, or you start keyholing, whichever comes first. 2,000 rounds is, as the above poster said, barely broken in. i've done 2,000 rounds in a weekend, many times..

chrome lined, your barrel should do anywhere between 20,000-35,000+, depending on how you shoot it. do some 2,000 round weekends, and you'll be looking at closer to 20k.;)

My Bushmaster M4 uppers took multiple Beta-mag dumps in a barrel erosion test.

On full auto, the chambers started to egg at about 12,000, the throats eroded at about 10,000, and gas tubes melted at about 15,000. Some of the gas tubes survived though.
Running semi auto, the poster above is probably right with the 25,000 mark.

These are 1:9 twist 14" M4s.
This is the cleanest my shop floor has been in years.:s0114::s0114:

uppers001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
oops. not chrome lined. just Chrome moly. I know that doesn't last as long but is it really that big a leap?

they have about half the life of a chrome lined barrel when your accuracy starts to drop you'll know its time to start shopping cause its on it way out

chrome moly barrels are more accurate but chrome lined last longer.
chrome moly barrels also are more common and cost half as much. you could pick up a brand new Chrome moly barrel for less that $150 a chome barrel will cost over $200 new and over $300 for mil spec or better (approx prices)

IIRC the MTTR on M16 barrels (chrome lined) is 50,000 rounds. Granted, that is under 'average' conditions, not the test coctailer performed... I gotta say man... wow.

Barrels last a lot longer if they stay cool and clean, long long runs burning lots of rounds and few cleanings will wear out a barrel much faster. The selection of ammo will also play into this, but that is only if you are looking for a very high consistency in accuracy.

I have an SPR clone I built up on a chrome-moly heavy barrel, shooting the barnes MPG, VG, and sierra 77gr'ers it will hit a rolling quarter at 200 yards without breaking a sweat. I'm sure it would lose this level of consistency after about 2 beta-mags on full auto. Which is why I don't do such things, my beater M4gery that I expect bullets to consistently land in a 6" circle at 100 yards will probably continue to perform in this fashion well past 75,000 rounds.

I have a Colt that has been with me since the early 90's and I have over 15,000 rounds through it, and it still hits what my aimpoint is pointed at when it goes bang. Not my glit edge accurate AR, but my defensive carbine. I can hit a 10" steel plate at 150-200 yards more times than not with 55FMJ. No match rounds have ever been throught her.

A writer for SWAT magazine claimed to have an Oly (chrome-moly) with 80,000 rounds down the barrel..

Basically if you can afford to put tens of thousands of rounds down your AR, you can afford a new barrel when it needs it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top