JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After a few years of passive searching, I picked up a nice (and seemingly barely used) Model 36 last year from a fellow forumite. Thank you again, sir!

This particular piece is stamped "MOD 36" on the frame and, best I could tell, it had spent the last 30 years quietly snoozing in its box, maybe in a sock drawer or safe?
While I have no idea (I am told that I am the third owner), I believe it had *maybe* half a box of ammo through it in total when I got it; I personally formed the slight turn-line on the cylinder after a few boxes of ammo.

From some basic googling it appears to have been made in 1986/1987 by approximate serial number range.
I don't know a ton about older S&W's; this one came in a blue cardboard box with "Double Action Revolver" printed on the outside and the barrel is not pinned.
From what I can tell, those little points seem to support my approximate age estimation.

Anyhow, while I was doing some clean-up/maintenance on my carry rotation, I stopped to just admire this one (it was kind of a white whale for me), and while I bought it to carry, it almost seems "too nice" to carry. :/

I bought the piece to carry, and the gentleman who sold it to me encouraged me to shoot and carry it instead of tucking it away in a safe.

Is it silly to feel it is "too nice" to carry?
Does it just need its cherry popped?
Am I being silly?
Anyone else share this sentiment?
As it was purchased as a carry piece, it should serve as a carry piece. Right?

Hope all are happy and well.

That gun was made to be carried and shot. Use it. And should be an easy matter to find date of manufacture from the serial number with an internet search.

I had a somewhat rare full lug Dan Wesson M15 that was in the box with all the papers. It appeared to have never been fired, and I couldn't get myself to shoot it. As much as I loved the gun, I sold it and don't have too many regrets. I like to use my guns and not feel guilty about it.
00115.jpg

That gun was made to be carried and shot. Use it. And should be an easy matter to find date of manufacture from the serial number with an internet search.
That is how I feel and what the gentleman who sold me this revolver echoed.
I'm just not used to having nice things like this.

I guess I'm being silly and, like a guitar with factory strings, I just need to break a string and play the damned thing! :p

EDIT: Thank you for the reminder and push.

Its like never kissing your girlfriend to save her for the next boyfriend. Just shoot it (not the girlfriend, the gun)

I have been thinking about this lately too. I have a couple guns I would like to take out and shoot but don't want to scratch......well if I won't shoot it why do I have it? Its not even out to look at, just sitting in a safe.

I feel the same about my car. Won't buy a car I am too scared to drive. Run it like you stole it, or give it to someone else so they can. It's just stuff. Go enjoy it.

Buy another safe to store beer in that you don't drink. same same
Its like never kissing your girlfriend to save her for the next boyfriend. Just shoot it (not the girlfriend, the gun)

I have been thinking about this lately too. I have a couple guns I would like to take out and shoot but don't want to scratch......well if I won't shoot it why do I have it? Its not even out to look at, just sitting in a safe.

I feel the same about my car. Won't buy a car I am too scared to drive. Run it like you stole it, or give it to someone else so they can. It's just stuff. Go enjoy it.

Thank you guys for the reinforcement.
This is how I have been feeling (as outlined above) with my own silly trepidations.

Here's to enjoy the time we have!

I suppose I would draw the line at those 1911s made from a meteor that sold for something along the lines of a million? Then again, if I could afford a 7 figure gun, I'll probably not be too worried about a scuff. Gold plated, perhaps? But that's just tasteless and expensive, not really "nice"..... I mean, I really can't come up with a truly justifiable reason why I wouldn't carry something based solely on how "nice" it is..... And besides, once that first scuff happens it no longer matters. Have fun with it! Enjoy it!

HA, this thread warms my heart! I have had several that were "To Nice to shoot" and once I popped their cherries, it wasn't that big a deal!
I only take them out in nice weather, take my time and enjoy the experience, One I hunt with as often as I can, and it has earned each and every scratch and ding with pride and memories! To me that is Priceless!

Get that beauty out and let her run!

Only you can of course decide what to do. I am not and have never been into owning guns I can't shoot. Many love this. The one you have is of value to collectors. If you carry and shoot it, then it will go down in value to them. If this is the kind of gun you want for carry and do not want to set it aside and not use it may be worth seeing what it will sell for. Good chance some collector would pay you enough for it to buy another that was not a collector and have plenty left over for ammo and such :D

These two 'no dashes' from the 70's get carried and shot routinely.
The grips have been changed and the SS sight on the 66 swapped out for a blued one but that's it.

These were known to be unfired by the previous owner (they were his father's) and he knew he never shot them but there were no boxes or paperwork so I only paid RMV for them.

The barrels on both are getting a little 'polished' from carry (not as of the time this pic was taken) but such is life!

IMG_0270_3.jpg

Last Edited:
It's too nice to carry when it's a collector piece, when it would be difficult or impossible to replace, when it has great sentimental value (like it was your father's gun), or when you would be upset if you lost it after you had to shoot someone.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top