JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been eyeballing a Zev OZ9 for a few weeks now. They ain't cheap. And if I ever end up with one, I'll shoot it AND carry it lovingly. :D

When is it "too nice" to carry?

For me, never! Guns are tools and as such, I use them for what they are intended. Will not own anything I can't shoot or be afraid to scratch.:s0155:

FFS people pay GOOD MONEY to buy guns with that "battle worn" finish.

I prefer mine to acquire it naturally. ;)

I only have one gun I won't shoot. It's a 1972 Remington 870 Shotgun with his name engraved that my Grandpa received after 25 years serving as Fire Chief of a small town volunteer fire dept. I gave my Grandpa my word it'd not be shot...and it hasn't.

I only have one gun I won't shoot. It's a 1972 Remington 870 Shotgun with his name engraved that my Grandpa received after 25 years serving as Fire Chief of a small town volunteer fire dept. I gave my Grandpa my word it'd not be shot...and it hasn't.

I can respect that for sure. Even still....................

Thats not a gun, its a heirloom. Very different purposes.

Too nice to carry?

AD0918EF-B2D1-4724-8F45-FD0EF384DA54.jpeg

For me, never! Guns are tools and as such, I use them for what they are intended. Will not own anything I can't shoot or be afraid to scratch.:s0155:

Exactly this. I really have no interest in owning some sort of gun that I would just preserve indefinitely... it'd be like having a car one never drives. Now some may not be practical for anything more than occasionally being taken to the range... but no safe queens.

Is it silly to feel it is "too nice" to carry? Yes.
Does it just need its cherry popped? It has been fired. It's not a cherry.
Am I being silly? Yes.
Anyone else share this sentiment? Yes, but I got over it.
As it was purchased as a carry piece, it should serve as a carry piece. Right? Yes.

"It's too nice to carry when it's a collector piece, when it would be difficult or impossible to replace, when it has great sentimental value (like it was your father's gun), or when you would be upset if you lost it after you had to shoot someone."
Couldn't a said better myself.

If it was mine, I'd spoil it with the nicest holster, shoot only the best ammo and it would only be handled by friends who understood how beautiful it truly was.
^^^THIS!!!^^^
And that's precisely the treatment that this little beauty gets...
SW 357.jpg
She was a gift to a DEA agent, who received it at his retirement party after 30+ years with the agency.
She was bequeathed to me when he died, cuz he knew I would take care of it after he was gone.
It was a very special gift to him, coming from his men. It is a very special gift to me, coming from him.
His name is filigreed behind the cylinder on the other side. I didn't show it out of respect.
RIP, TC...

Last Edited:
When it's 100 years old and still has 75% blue or better...
:s0114:
here's to wishing I could get a modern made Savage 1907 in 380...
I'd have a few guns I shoot, I'd never shoot at that point. I have a few I don't shoot. Mostly because they were designed for BP loads and frankly I bought them for historical interest. I have a Smith and Wesson model 1 and a model 2 I don't shoot.

I used to have a 6" Colt Anaconda, all polished up. I would hike for miles north of Washougal ,and see how big a log I could shoot it through or stop in my tracks with it out ready for a bear :rolleyes:. Fun times. If you want a diamond ring, buy a diamond ring.:D

Is it silly to feel it is "too nice" to carry?

Depends. People buy guns for different reasons. If you don't have that many guns for the same purpose, it's to use. You say you aren't used to having "nice things." This one won't stay nice if you start using it regularly. Lots of people who buy guns buy them because they like them but also because they are a store of value. The nice ones retain more value than rough ones. If this isn't your issue, it's there to use.

After all, when you buy something it's yours to do with as you please. If you buy an antique car, you're within your rights to drive it into the Sound. But after that, it won't be worth what you paid for it.

I have both kinds. Tools and stores of value. When I accidentally drop an AR on the gravel, it's no big thing. If I were to drop an out of production, nice Smith on the ground, I'd cry. I have guns like new in box that I could carry but choose not to incur holster wear on them because I have others that are already holster worn.

I only have one gun I won't shoot.
Me, too...
When I posted this in the "Show Us Your Guns" thread a while back, someone remarked that's the only gun that would require a shot of whiskey and a tetanus shot to shoot safely... :)
Ancient smokepole.01.JPG

As many have said ...It depends...
I often get rude comments when I mention that I shoot and hunt with some of my antique muzzleloaders...
Common sense needs to be used when dealing with a old gun or a potential collectors item.

Personally I don't mind the use of a firearm...but I do dislike abuse of a firearm.
Andy

I've owned some very nice guns that I wanted to be able to use as intended, but I knew the wear and tear would be the same as throwing money away. I sold all of those guns, with one exception, before I lost any money. I use my guns as tool, too.
Maybe. If it's an irreplaceable original, yes.
If it's a reproduction, heck no!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads