JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been reloading shotgun shells since the late 70's and I know what I use to decide when to toss my shells (deep cuts in the crimp plastic, messed up brass). Just wanted to know if others have found anything else they find important when deciding to toss their hulls. In the last four years using Remington STS shells I seem to be getting scary long life out of the hulls (not a bad thing). Even if I miss one with really bad cuts in the crimp they still seem to work fine.

The only real issue I'm finding is when they get hard from the burning, seem to lose some pellets out of the center of the crimp. What are your experiences?

I toss um only when they start to crack. Not on the top, but top/mid to center crack. I'm a AA guy and they tend to have great she'll life.

This one is a few more away from the garbage. The bigger crack will eventually work its way further down till it affects the integrity to crimp.

I probably might still use it for makeshift slugs!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420853985.459820.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420854016.926577.jpg

Basically when they won't hold the shot or have other damage.

I have not reloaded 12a in a long time. I still have all my equipment, but when the cost of loading became less then $0.25/box different then buying I quit reloading. At one point it was actually cheaper for me to buy field loads then reload.

It's not like these things are precious and hard to come by. I can't walk 10 feet in the forest without kicking up a whole herd of them.

Doesn't always work like that. Not all shells load equally.

I do grab those I see that are worth picking up.

Boy oh boy. This thread brings back the days of paper shells with waxed hulls, fiber wads and candles to get that one last load out of 'em. We've come a long way! Enjoy those plastic miracles.

I toss um only when they start to crack. Not on the top, but top/mid to center crack. I'm a AA guy and they tend to have great she'll life.

This one is a few more away from the garbage. The bigger crack will eventually work its way further down till it affects the integrity to crimp.

I probably might still use it for makeshift slugs!!!

View attachment 121636View attachment 121637

You'd actually use a low-base shell for throwing slugs? o_O

Interesting to see everyone's thoughts. I think I toss mine a little earlier but they are still saved in a bucket just in case I run low (small chance). The new vs reload cost is definitely a factor. I'm trying to recreate shells that are $9 a box and with premium components they cost me about $5.80, plus my time. For me this is worth it and I enjoy time at the reloading bench. I still shoot some factory shells at competitions so my supply of new hulls is refreshed over the season.

I've never reloaded paper hulls but I still know people who love to shoot them!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top