Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

When do you retire your shotgun shells?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by WillametteWill, Jan 9, 2015.

1. WillametteWill

WillametteWill Willamette Valley Active Member

Been reloading shotgun shells since the late 70's and I know what I use to decide when to toss my shells (deep cuts in the crimp plastic, messed up brass). Just wanted to know if others have found anything else they find important when deciding to toss their hulls. In the last four years using Remington STS shells I seem to be getting scary long life out of the hulls (not a bad thing). Even if I miss one with really bad cuts in the crimp they still seem to work fine.

The only real issue I'm finding is when they get hard from the burning, seem to lose some pellets out of the center of the crimp. What are your experiences?

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I drip candle wax into the open centers.
    When the folds break off is a good time to toss a shell.

BigBull 301 likes this.
  3. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I toss um only when they start to crack. Not on the top, but top/mid to center crack. I'm a AA guy and they tend to have great she'll life.

This one is a few more away from the garbage. The bigger crack will eventually work its way further down till it affects the integrity to crimp.

I probably might still use it for makeshift slugs!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420853985.459820.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420854016.926577.jpg

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  4. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

It's not like these things are precious and hard to come by. I can't walk 10 feet in the forest without kicking up a whole herd of them.

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Basically when they won't hold the shot or have other damage.

I have not reloaded 12a in a long time. I still have all my equipment, but when the cost of loading became less then $0.25/box different then buying I quit reloading. At one point it was actually cheaper for me to buy field loads then reload.

6. Reno911

Doesn't always work like that. Not all shells load equally.

I do grab those I see that are worth picking up.

7. jcweber

jcweber Central Oregon New Member

Boy oh boy. This thread brings back the days of paper shells with waxed hulls, fiber wads and candles to get that one last load out of 'em. We've come a long way! Enjoy those plastic miracles.

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You'd actually use a low-base shell for throwing slugs? o_O

U201491 likes this.
  9. Reno911

Yep. As well as home made buck.

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yeah, thinking about it it's all encased in the chamber afterall. It just wouldn't have occurred to me to run a heavy payload in low-base shells... brainwashed I guess. LOL

U201491 likes this.
  11. WillametteWill

WillametteWill Willamette Valley Active Member

Interesting to see everyone's thoughts. I think I toss mine a little earlier but they are still saved in a bucket just in case I run low (small chance). The new vs reload cost is definitely a factor. I'm trying to recreate shells that are $9 a box and with premium components they cost me about $5.80, plus my time. For me this is worth it and I enjoy time at the reloading bench. I still shoot some factory shells at competitions so my supply of new hulls is refreshed over the season.

I've never reloaded paper hulls but I still know people who love to shoot them!

Nwcid likes this.