JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went and shot a local USPSA fun match this weekend, and I was kind of shocked at the number of shooters who could not keep their hands off their guns when not shooting. I am not exaggerating when I say about 1/3 of the shooters in my group rested their hands on their guns between shoots. A few of them were holding their gun more than not, basically then never let it go.

I come from a background where I was on a hot range most of the time, and I CCW, and it was all I could do to not comment to those who did this that it really is a form of a safety offense to walk around with your hand on your gun. I know its a cold range, but they are/have developed a habit that would get them booted off a hot range ASAP.

I can say it made me feel uneasy seeing someone basically ready to draw at all times.

Many also seem to have a bad habit of in the middle of the crowd, grabbing their gun and doing a mock draw, not actually pulling the gun from the holster but getting a full grip and releasing it and finishing the draw. This is begging for a brain fart and an actual draw to take place....

I am interested in how the evolution of this habit has become acceptable, I would have thought that it would be frowned upon.

IMG_3731.jpg

I would have thought that it would be frowned upon.

When I was doing it 20 some years ago, it was bad ju ju to do that.

I remember a story a friend of mine told me who used to teach truck driving.

The student would rest his hand on the gear shift. My friend asked "Are you gonna shift it?" The student said "No". "Then put your hands back on the wheel"

I shot a IPSC match where I witnessed two people doing that, not really sure why, maybe they wanted to save there elbow strength?

For the record; I will not be attempting to ever, EVER take deadeye's gun from his hand. Cold or not. It is not only rude, but you never know where that thing's been!

I've seen the same practice in some youtube vids of the shoots and also thought it was odd. Maybe it's an 'in the zone' thing?

Just my personal opinion but i think it may have to do with comfortability since its hard to put your hand in your pocket (sidearm-side). I've occasionally noticed LE officers rest with just their palm on the back of their grips while they shoot the bubblegum with each other.

I personally don't see a problem with it, nobody is actually drawing their handgun, they are just practicing in the down time. I don't beleive my local range has any rules against it.
I'd never really thought about it but I guess it's a comfort/convenience thing for me, there are not a lot of comfortable places to put your arms when you're loaded up with a gun and mags on both sides.

I understand finger off the trigger and other safety measures.. But really? Hands off your holstered gun? I mean, at the range people should have some level of understanding that merely having a hand on your holstered firearm is not going to cause it to fly out of the holster and start wildly flailing bullets around. Is there really a legitimate safety concern with this? (then perhaps LEO in the field shouldn't be doing this so often, not that they are always safe and perfect mind you)

I myself don't have a habit of it, however I have been known to rest my forearm on the top of my holstered weapon occasionally.

I understand finger off the trigger and other safety measures.. But really? Hands off your holstered gun? I mean, at the range people should have some level of understanding that merely having a hand on your holstered firearm is not going to cause it to fly out of the holster and start wildly flailing bullets around. Is there really a legitimate safety concern with this? (then perhaps LEO in the field shouldn't be doing this so often, not that they are always safe and perfect mind you)

I myself don't have a habit of it, however I have been known to rest my forearm on the top of my holstered weapon occasionally.

its called a brain fart, we all do it, if you habitually keep your hand on our gun while running thought the thought process of drawing your gun and shooting a target, you greatly increase the likelihood that you will brain fart and actually do it. I agree on the cold range, the risk is minimal, however, unless that is the only time you carry a gun, then maybe the risk is low, but if you carry or ever go to a hot range, the risk is much greater.

At this very same match, one of the shooters was discussing how he caught himself playing with the trigger as he flicked the safety on and off. Allowing yourself to develop these little bad habits that eventually lead to a ND.

So I think I can articulate the risk, and there is no justifiable need for using your gun as a hand rest, so why allow it....or at a minimum I would think it should be discouraged.

At this very same match, one of the shooters was discussing how he caught himself playing with the trigger as he flicked the safety on and off. Allowing yourself to develop these little bad habits that eventually lead to a ND.

So I think I can articulate the risk, and there is no justifiable need for using your gun as a hand rest, so why allow it....or at a minimum I would think it should be discouraged.

This right here simply sounds like someone needs to practice some simple trigger discipline. As well, learn not to play with your weapon just for the "fun" of it. If you really need to play or fondle with something around your waistline, there is your "junk" to adjust. >.<

This right here simply sounds like someone needs to practice some simple trigger discipline. As well, learn not to play with your weapon just for the "fun" of it. If you really need to play or fondle with something around your waistline, there is your "junk" to adjust. >.<

totally agree, I will add once more thought, develop the bad habit of holding your "pistol" :s0053: if you ever open carry as I did when traveling in the national park system ( I open carried a G20C) I am pretty sure folks would have freaked out if I walked around with my hand on the gun. I bet I would have had more than one conversation with an officer about my behavior. As it was, no one said a thing.

For the most part I don't see a problem with it, unless they keep unholstering it to fondle. I carried an M-16 on a three point sling for a living, resting my hand on the pistol grip and propping my arm up was comfortable.

I used to shoot USPSA occasionally, the rigged scoring, pony-tailed weirdos doing karate on anyone who walked near them and gear queers who could not center punch a seven yards target in five tries did more to turn me off than a guy resting his palm on his unloaded, holstered firearm would have.

I guess I should elaborate. Boy's with ponytails?

I don't see anything wrong with a hand on a gun. If somebody is so prone to brain-farting that they can't be trusted with their hand on the gun, I don't want to be on the range with them at all. I've shot with a few people that worried me along this line over the years, but they didn't stick around long. That type generally gets disqualified from the match for other more heinous brain fart activity, and they eventually stop coming back. The regular competitors at the clubs I shoot do everything possible to help new shooters rise to a high level of safety, but it just doesn't get anywhere with certain individuals.

If you are really worried about an individual with his hand on the gun, you are probably worried about the individual himself rather than the action.

It sucks to feel uncomfortable in any situation, especially one with potentially deadly consequences. I hope you work it out and can continue to enjoy the sport.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top