JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am getting close to building an AR & I am still checking prices. I am wondering what is the best $400 Dollar Complete AR 15 Upper, chambered in 5.56-223. A couple of features I must have are
*A3 or A4...........I already had an A2 upper & I would rather have a flattop.
*Dust cover & forward assist

A couple places I see uppers
R GUNS......I've never heard of them...but 440 for a 16" with a free float sounds nice
DS ARMS.....They make good Fal's
Del Ton *** I am thinking about going with them, but, how long is the waiting??
Model 1 Sales....I have heard they have good prices

My other question is, Should I go carbine or mid length? What is the difference between the two? 16" or 20"???
On some of these uppers you can add $50 and get a SS barrel or a SS BCG. Is that worth getting?

The bad thing is I really need to speak to these people in person & I cant call any numbers.(9 1 something area code) I am thinking about going del ton because I have heard a bunch of good things about them. Why should I get a 16" over a 20". Why a 16" carbine over a 16" mid length?

If you plan to use the rifle for self defense then most likely you would want it as short as possible, which is 16" unless you have an NFA stamp. If it is just for the range, or hunting/varminting then the 20" will give you about 200fps extra velocity. The .223 bullets almost always benefit in terminal ballistics from the increased velocity.

A collapsible stock not only allows shorter length for transport but can also adapt to different size shooters (the biggest benefit for my family), or for light and heavy clothing. On the other hand the fixed stock has a better feel for cheek weld when using the sights.

For me the 16" bbl seems the most handy and is what I have on all my ARs. You give up some velocity, but civilians have the option to make up in performance with better bullet designs and weights for what is lost in velocity.

ETA: Carbine vs Middie - Only reason to get carbine is because it is more common and you have a broader selection of accessories for that size. All of my first ARs were carbines because I was new to them and wanted to be able to choose from a broad field. Just recently I bought a middie because I wanted a Bravo Company upper and that was the only 16" configuration in stock. Very limited choices in handguards compared to the Carbine. I wanted Magpul MOE handguards but they only have carbine length for now. So I settled for Cav Arms, which are nice but not quite what I was hoping for. I suspect that if I ever need to replace the gas tube I will have to hunt harder for it in stock than a carbine tube.

On the plus side, the middie is supposed to soften the cycling of the bolt carrier, and it will add another 1.5" or so to the sight radius for iron sights. But if you primarily use an optic the sight radius is less important.

If I was only to have one I would probably opt for the carbine gas system just because it is more common. You can alleviate some of the harshness of the carbine action cycling with a full auto bolt carrier (slightly heavier) and H1, H2 or H3 buffer (heavy buffer).

That is a screaming deal at DSA for an upper ($275)! Add a bolt carrier group for about $120, a charging handle for $20, and an iron sight ($50-$120) for a total of about $465. Rock River Arms would be $485 for the complete upper with CH and BCG, plus $50 for the rear BUIS for a total of $535.

What doesn't make sense is why none of their rifles are under $1,000, yet you can by the parts for about $650.

BTW, I just bought a couple of rear BUIS. If you want the top quality, most recommended rear BUIS get the Troy rear folding sight. LaRue Tactical has them the cheapest at $119 (with free dillo). I also got a Magpul MBUS to try out and for $55 it is pretty decent. If you are trying to keep costs down I would recommend the MBUS.

As far as the DS upper goes...I want it. I think I am going to spend a little more on the lower though....Maybe a 2 stage trigger. I cant decide DS or Del Ton. I am going to have to say I think the del tons look better built.

Just bought an upper... Need BCG (saw someone on here selling CHEAP... need to find the thread).. Would like a Spikes lower... I mean... my last name is Spiker... LOL... but at 180 bubblegum...

Spikes WAS having a sale on complete lowers w/ stock and buffer for 249... need to look again.

Still 180??? Dealz.

This thread delivers!

EDIT:

<broken link removed>

If you go with the Del Ton upper and a different lower you'll have a "put together" gun which won't have as much resale value (imho) as a factory gun. You'll have about $650 in it plus shipping and and FFL fees on the lower?

Have you considered just buying a complete flat-top Del Ton from Coctailer for $750 where you also get a $50 removable carry handle and a universal tool and some mags?

I think price-wise it's a wash and you have a factory built gun if you ever want to sell.

??

I was considering it.....But I dont want to go through a FFL. So I did find my upper though.
Del Ton 5.56, A3, 1x7, CL barrel. 16" A2 Flash.m4 cut.

I dont plan on selling this one, as much as I say that :s0114: So I am hoping to find a good lower & call it good. As long as the finish matches.

Im still looking at about 675 for a complete rifle
425+250

Does anyone know of any places in Portland I can get the lower cheaper than 250?

You still have to either go FTF or through an FFL for the lower, don't you? Even a stripped lower? If you don't want to go through an FFL, don't you have to find an Oregon private party sale?

I would think it would be just as easy to find the whole gun FTF??

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top