Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

whats in my fanny pack while deer hunting.

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by 2gr8dgs, Sep 29, 2010.

1. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

I hunt the general season western buck rifle hunt. usually the coast range, & always west of I-5. I used to haul a ton of gear with me, but over the years I have whittled it down quite a bit. I am pretty familiar with the areas I hunt at this stage of my life, but still believe I could get lost, or have to spend the night. this is what I pack with me in the little fanny pack at the top of the pic. the bottom row is what I carry on my body. I post this thread to help new guys out with what they might consider taking other than the obvious= rifle, binos, & ammo, & appropriate clothing.
    feel free to critique or add glaring omissions that should be included, or share pictures of your kit., Mike.
    deerhuntingkit001.jpg
    In the picture from the top, emergency poncho, bandanna,spare sling,folding knife with combo guthook/saw,couple powerbars,another belt-sling,small pouch of aspirin-medicine,spare compass,wind checker,flagging tape,spare sling swivel,spare batts,chapstick,lighters&waterproof matches,emergency blanket,flashlite,firesticks. last row=GPS,canteen,compass,leatherman,blue shop towels.

2. 2gr8dgs

some things I see missing are a few plastic freezer bags for the heart/liver, & a bore snake if I stuff my barrel.

3. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Nice fanny pack

4. 2gr8dgs

Its a simple small black bag that loops through my belt. I got it at an army surplus store. my goal was to trim down my gear enough to fit in the bag.

5. cash$$cow

cash$$cow Eastern Wa Member

Add a whistle. Not a common sound to be heard in the woods and not alot of effort to use if needed.

6. 2gr8dgs

agreed! I must have misplaced it. Mine had a little compass on one side, & a thermometer on the other. pretty handy.

7. ehunter

ehunter Hilllsboro Oregon Member

For deer mine has a little less for elk more. One thing I would do is get a platy bag over the canteen I don't like the noise they make when they swish.

I also prefer a head lamp vs a flash light its easier to walk hands free or dress a animal. Why the extra swivel? Other than that it looks good except for the missing toilet paper:p

8. 2gr8dgs

what is a platy bag? I broke a swivel on a hunt once. for the space a spare takes, never again without. blue towel is my TP.

9. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

A collapsible water bottle so it doesn't slosh. If you get the air bubbles out the bottle will just collapse as you drink it down.

plusBottle®

10. 2gr8dgs

cool. looks like wholesale sports should carry them. maybe REI also.

11. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

i would add some 550 para cord.

12. JC9995

JC9995 Greater "Clackamas" Active Member

+1 on the para cord, and I also carry a disposable diaper and a small tube of super glue. They both come in very handy for your first aid kit. Once youve glued a cut back together, youll never use a bandaid again. :thumbup:

13. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

cool! :)

14. husker

husker portland Active Member

Dont forget tp.

15. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

a signal mirror or an old cd will do the same. Wholesale sport carries a sportsmans first aidkit with quikclot that fits in a cargo pocket always good to have

16. 2gr8dgs

I picked up a signal mirror, some super glue, & some 550 paracord today. thanks for the advise!

17. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

First off how are you going to get the slinky bore snake down your barrel if it is plugged?

I would add a pair of Mechanix gloves, NAPA $18,
    for fire starter I cut several strips of %100 cotton rag one inch wide, smear vaseline on it and roll it up store in a ziplock. When lit in my yard it burned for over 20 minutes. If that doesn't work the 15 minute fusee in the bottom of my pack will light anything.

18. 2gr8dgs

last time I just pushed through the bore end with a whittled down limb, until it was clear enough to send the snake through.

19. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

BTDT, wouldn't be without! They burn long/hot enough to dry out wet twigs and get them going.
    Good for signaling (w/smoke for day and bright light for night) if need be too!