JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All good info guys - great suggestions on costs, where to buy and what types to look for. I knew I'd get some good responses on NWFA :s0132:

Right now is a good time to start stockpiling ammo & reloading items.
It's on the shelves and if stored correctly will be waiting for you when you decide to start learning.
Don't wait for the next mad run on ammunition and all that's left is empty shelves.
Buy a little at a time as money allows.

Since I wasn't reloading during the last 'crisis' of availability, what items would top your list for starting to build up some supplies? I suspect equipment such as the reloading press and dies were likely available through the whole thing? I seem to recall, just by watching the forum, that powder was the big issue. So maybe that's one place to start.

How about brass? Primers? Bullets? Which of those items were in short supply during the shortage?

All of them.
I saw a lot of trading going on with folks that had more of one item, but needing another.
Powder & small rifle primers being the hardest to locate.

I shoot .223 Tula for practice.
Never mind those that dont really shoot naysaying the ammo.. Its by far the most cost effective for training.

Not to mention if you miss picking up a few cases they'll rust out and return back to nature.

Did you read the test I posted above? The Tula caused constant problems and had destroyed the barrel in less than 6000 rds while the federal gun was still shooting acceptable groups after 10,000.

Barrels are replaceable, In The long run if it's all about economy it does work out cheaper, but a lot of my guns have $500 barrels and I simply won't put steel washed jackets through them, every shot degrades the barrel.

Now I have some $400 guns. I shoot Tula in them, however they don't get shot much. Even in those though I have switched to Wolf which has shown to be better ammunition at roughly the same cost.

7.62x39? Well since a AK won't hit the broad side of a barn, if your standing inside the barn, and they are not not expected last feed them as cheap of stuff as you can buy. ( I really don't feel that way but I gotta bash the commie guns simply because as a god fearing patriot it's my duty)

Last Edited:
Did you rest the test I posted above? The Tula caused constant problems and had destroyed the barrel in less than 6000 rds while the federal gun was still shooting acceptable groups after 10,000.

Barrels are replaceable, In The long run if it's all about economy it does work out cheaper, but a lot of my guns have $500 barrels and I simply won't put steel washed jackets through them, every shot degrades the barrel.

Now I have some $400 guns. I shoot Tula in them, however they don't get shot much. Even in those though I have switched to Wolf which has shown to be better ammunition at roughly the same cost.

7.62x39? Well since a AK won't hit the broad side of a barn, if your standing inside the barn, and they are not not expected last feed them as cheap of stuff as you can buy.
Haha, you haven't shot quality AKs then.

In my ARs Ive ran near 2,000-2,500 in one without loss of accuracy. And at least 4-600 in my others. Its a non issue with that round count.. Now older china copperwashed steel jacket FMJ ammo is a bit more dense.. That Ive read about but never had enough ammo to test. Now 10,000.. Perhaps then? Only time will tell. But Id dare say 10,000 out of most firearms will show serious signs of wear.

I fear not the cheap ammo. Then again, I have more than one of most firearms. When I start getting some wild flyers out of my AR Ill let you know, I am man enough to admit when Im wrong.. But so far its GTG.

I've never seen that ammo available anywhere for .25 cents a round. If you saw a deal that good, you should have jumped on it.

If you want to look for good ammo prices online, gunbot.net can be very helpful:

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/556/

Like IronMonster, I also prefer the 62 gr XM855 myself, as I consider it to be a better self-defense round, and it is only a couple of pennies more expensive. Also means I don't have to adjust my scope between practice and having the rifle ready to use for protection.

gunbot is good, and http://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-Remington

Haha, you haven't shot quality AKs then.

In my ARs Ive ran near 2,000-2,500 in one without loss of accuracy. And at least 4-600 in my others. Its a non issue with that round count.. Now older china copperwashed steel jacket FMJ ammo is a bit more dense.. That Ive read about but never had enough ammo to test. Now 10,000.. Perhaps then? Only time will tell. But Id dare say 10,000 out of most firearms will show serious signs of wear.

I fear not the cheap ammo. Then again, I have more than one of most firearms. When I start getting some wild flyers out of my AR Ill let you know, I am man enough to admit when Im wrong.. But so far its GTG.

Yeah but 2000 rounds is nothing. I have shot 2000 rds through one gun in a weekend. I have a AR that has ten times that through it and is still shooting 2 MOA. I guess if you consider the useful life of a rifle 4000-6000 rds it's not much of a consideration and I fully understand the vast majority of rifles will never see 5000 rds down the tube. Some of mine won't either but still.

I value the rifle enough to feed it well and take care of it. It's no diffrent than running full synthetic oil rather than conventional. Or stuffing your face with cheeseburgers rather than salad. Garbage in, garbage out.

3 hours of my time to enjoy a sport that I love is worth nothing! Hell I could have spent that time drinking on a couch! I also reload 9mm for $130 per K and 45acp for $180. I also work on my own car to save the mechanics bill and my Goldwing. My time spent saves me ALLOT!
I personally enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting (almost:D) loading .223 on a single stage for an AR platform would drive me nuts though, in a progressive, it would be just fine.

I forgot who but a final end all study was done on steel cased vs brass and the steel cased did ware out the barrel faster but it used to be with the money you could save buying steel cased you could buy a new barrel unless your shooting a high end barrel .

one person mentioned lacquer gumming up your rifle. wolf stopped that years ago on their .223 ammo .

The problem I found with using steel cased ammo in an AR platform was that you had a far... FAR higher likelyhood of the case sticking and the extractor either tearing the rim off or simply breaking. I figured it had to do with fact that the steel cases have less elasticity.
I have shot about 500 rounds of steel cased ammo out of an AR and THOUSANDS of brass rounds, I vave had 2 rims ripped of steel an 1 of brass. Thats my take.

I have had good luck finding 223 ammo at gun shows. Recently found 1,000 rounds brass cased 55gr FMJ for $260. (Reloads) Great for practice!
I would suggest picking up whatever you can when it comes to reloading. Things are pretty good right now but that could change in a new york minute.

Nothing wrong with steel case .223, it will only shoot out your barrel if you are doing mag dumps..the lucky gunner test was 10k as quickly as they could pull the trigger..pretty unrealistic IMO. For cheap brass in .223 I like PMC bronze and in 5.56 IMI (Federal) 193. You should be paying $5-7 a box. Federal XM193 is too good for plinking and is actually a good defensive load. You should stash the M193. For your go mags 69-77gr BTHP/OTM is what you want or 60ish gr soft points.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top