JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a story about a lost dog...

I'm in San Diego currently and yesterday I went for a walk down by the water. There's a trail of sorts that I know about that goes along the water and winds in through a neighborhood and then ends at this small local beach. This is along the bay, not the ocean.

So I'm in the neighborhood section, heading toward the beach and I come across a very large but very cute older Golden Retriever. The dog, however, is clearly distressed and clearly looking for his owner and about to get hit by a car. So I grab him and can see that he's fairly wet so he obviously just came up from the beach. So I take him and head toward the water, half expecting to see someone come chasing after him at any minute. Nope.

We get to the beach and there is nobody around. So we sit for a couple minutes and then I start calling phone numbers on his collar. There are three of them. Nobody answers. So I walk him down to the main part of the beach where people are, thinking somebody there will surely claim him. Nope. It takes me four or five minutes to get over to the main part, we're there for a few minutes, and then I walk him back. All together this is a good ten minute exercise.

I start calling the numbers again and this time the first one answers. The woman says the dog is there with her adult daughter, that she's the last number on the list, and to go look for her because, "she has to be around." Not, "Oh my god you found my dog!? I'll be right there to get him." Sigh

I call the last number again and no answer. So we grab a piece of sand and sit an wait. Five or six minutes go by and I see a couple way down the beach slowly walking towards us. It takes them a good five minutes or so to get close to me and they're stopping along the way, taking their time without a care in the world.

When they finally get close enough they see me with their dog and realize there is a problem. The conversation went like this.

Me: Is this your dog?

Them: Yes, is there a problem

Me: Yup. I found him wondering up in the neighborhood looking for you and he almost got hit by a car.

Them: Oh that's strange, he usually just swims.

Me: Wait...you left him alone in the water and walked off for 20 minutes?

Them: We weren't gone that long!

Me: Are you guys drunk or stoned?

Them: *silence*

Me: NO REALLY! ARE YOU DRUNK OR STONED!?

Them: No!

Me: ARE YOU STUPID!?

The Guy (puffing up his chest): DON'T TALK TO ME THAT WAY!

Me: Dogs are like kids. You never leave them alone and especially in the water. ANYTHING could have happened! He could have a medical emergency while swimming and need help. He could get hung up on something under the water that we can't see. Somebody could come along and take him. Or he could do exactly what this one just did and wonder up into the street and almost get hit by a car! What the hell is wrong with you people?

Them: *silence"

Me: You guys have no business owning a dog!

Is it me? I was just stunned. Would you ever just walk off and leave your dog in the water at a public beach for 20 minutes? I'm usually pretty cool about things but when it comes to animals and people being irresponsible with their dogs, I get pissed. I gave the dog back but I sure didn't want to. He was a cool dog. And he certainly deserves better owners.

4 years ago we fenced the rest of our property off in chain link to keep the popcorn lab safe (she is white with light brown accents on her back & tail so not a yellow). She would run down the county road and roll in cow, horse or any other type of chit then come home all proud or sumpthin.... She really does have selective hearing... grrrrrr.
Now she gets taunted by the bunny rabits because they know she can't get to them anymore...:p:p:p:p

Yep they are stupid. I've had my german shepherd go exploring one time when he was a puppy. I was in serious panic mode. Since then he has learned to never be out of eye sight.
People take alot for granted especially with dogs.
Dogs go where there eyes,nose, and ears take them. They don't sit and think man I might get hit or lost.
Thanks for going the extra mile. I for one would have appreciated it.

Don't have much to add...

We find dogs wandering a couple times a year and go down the Main Street posting Dog Found fliers.

It's paid for itself. Once one of our sweeter but stupider dogs got out and ended up almost getting hit. A driver and a person walking took her around to the Safeway near by to look for an owner and by the time they got back to our area we had plastered color fliers with her picture and they called us. We were very grateful and it was the only time it happened.

I miss that damn dog an aweful lot.

They are different from us. To them, the dog is just a possession. To us, it is a member of the family. They have no business owning a dog. My dog would never stay and play in the water if I walked away, he would be right on my heels asking, where are we going now dad.

california

Nah, it happens everywhere. When I was visiting my parents here in western WA we had a dog wander onto the property. Called the numbers on the tag, no answer so I left two voice mails. Didn't hear back so I tried calling again 10 minutes later. Talked to the rude owner who sounded like I was bothering him, and told me he had installed a new electric fence and was "training" the dog, but he was at work. I was a bit surprised that he would "train" the dog when he wasn't around, but even more surprised when he told me I should just take the dog inside my house and that he would be by in a number of hours when he could find the time make it over. Not once did he say thanks, nor was he apologetic. I told him I had things to do and couldn't babysit his dog all day but I would be willing to give it water and food and wanted to know if I should tie it up or let it roam. He got mad, sarcastically apologized for being a "bad neighbor" and hung up. Got a call a few minutes later from his mother in law who lived close by and she was able to pick the dog up 5 minutes later. Some people are just bubblegums.

My sister learned that lesson two years ago.
She plays on the Columbia river. And one day She let her dog run loose on a sand bar [Washington side].

Dog went exploring and got hit by a train.
She found it smashed, with its guts spread down the track.

I have a really smart border collie who sometimes gets bored at the shop and decides to walk home and see if what my wife is doing is any more fun. Drives me crazy as she normally is really good about sticking around and of course as soon as I know she is gone everything stops till I know where she is.

It's not far to the house but it's down the busiest street in town and across the railroad tracks.

I think it's far more telling that the dog didn't want to be with his human companions enough to follow them down the beach.
Every dog I ever had would not have let ME out of his/her sight. They wanted to play, they want to run, but they wanted to do so with me.

Say whatever you want, but the dog knows.
The dog always knows.

And I think the IQ level drops considerably after each offspring for stupid people.
Common sense was bred out of the masses years ago.

Smart people make bad decisions.

Intelligence does not equate to wisdom.

Why Smart People Make Bad Decisions
This is why intelligent people make bad decisions
Smart People, Dumb Decisions

We as humans have a lot of evolution built into our brains and it takes a lot of effort to fight that.

Bias - Wikipedia
List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia
The_Cognitive_Bias_Codex_-_180%2B_biases%2C_designed_by_John_Manoogian_III_%28jm3%29.png

It doesn't help that some smart people who understand this fact actively manipulate us using our own brains against us.

I don't think that the problem is people are getting dumber - I think we are getting smarter and more informed - research support this. But we are not getting wiser fast enough and more importantly, very few people recognize that they have biases and can be and actively are being manipulated.

Well I often thought about the role evolution plays in our DNA. Why is cancer on the rise? Some people suggest it's the thinning of the heard.
There's some areas of the world a population has almost wiped out certain diseases and health issues because their DNA has evolved to not allow it.
It's extremely interesting.

Not only cancer but mental illness as well.

Maybe it's the universe telling us something

This is a story about a lost dog...

I'm in San Diego currently and yesterday I went for a walk down by the water. There's a trail of sorts that I know about that goes along the water and winds in through a neighborhood and then ends at this small local beach. This is along the bay, not the ocean.

So I'm in the neighborhood section, heading toward the beach and I come across a very large but very cute older Golden Retriever. The dog, however, is clearly distressed and clearly looking for his owner and about to get hit by a car. So I grab him and can see that he's fairly wet so he obviously just came up from the beach. So I take him and head toward the water, half expecting to see someone come chasing after him at any minute. Nope.

We get to the beach and there is nobody around. So we sit for a couple minutes and then I start calling phone numbers on his collar. There are three of them. Nobody answers. So I walk him down to the main part of the beach where people are, thinking somebody there will surely claim him. Nope. It takes me four or five minutes to get over to the main part, we're there for a few minutes, and then I walk him back. All together this is a good ten minute exercise.

I start calling the numbers again and this time the first one answers. The woman says the dog is there with her adult daughter, that she's the last number on the list, and to go look for her because, "she has to be around." Not, "Oh my god you found my dog!? I'll be right there to get him." Sigh

I call the last number again and no answer. So we grab a piece of sand and sit an wait. Five or six minutes go by and I see a couple way down the beach slowly walking towards us. It takes them a good five minutes or so to get close to me and they're stopping along the way, taking their time without a care in the world.

When they finally get close enough they see me with their dog and realize there is a problem. The conversation went like this.

Me: Is this your dog?

Them: Yes, is there a problem

Me: Yup. I found him wondering up in the neighborhood looking for you and he almost got hit by a car.

Them: Oh that's strange, he usually just swims.

Me: Wait...you left him alone in the water and walked off for 20 minutes?

Them: We weren't gone that long!

Me: Are you guys drunk or stoned?

Them: *silence*

Me: NO REALLY! ARE YOU DRUNK OR STONED!?

Them: No!

Me: ARE YOU STUPID!?

The Guy (puffing up his chest): DON'T TALK TO ME THAT WAY!

Me: Dogs are like kids. You never leave them alone and especially in the water. ANYTHING could have happened! He could have a medical emergency while swimming and need help. He could get hung up on something under the water that we can't see. Somebody could come along and take him. Or he could do exactly what this one just did and wonder up into the street and almost get hit by a car! What the hell is wrong with you people?

Them: *silence"

Me: You guys have no business owning a dog!

Is it me? I was just stunned. Would you ever just walk off and leave your dog in the water at a public beach for 20 minutes? I'm usually pretty cool about things but when it comes to animals and people being irresponsible with their dogs, I get pissed. I gave the dog back but I sure didn't want to. He was a cool dog. And he certainly deserves better owners.

Next time, turn it over to Animal Control. If the dog is put down, it is out of your hands. If they're upset, they'll get over it.

Sorry, no one that's that careless needs to have a dog.

Next case.

Last Edited:
I am not a really big dog person, having had many bad experiences with dogs since I was 6 months old. My mother was walking me a stroller and this dog came up and bit me. Anyway I believe that anyone who has a dog has the responsibility of caring for it. Like another poster said they are like children.

Smart people make bad decisions.

Intelligence does not equate to wisdom.

This is why intelligent people make bad decisions
Smart People, Dumb Decisions

We as humans have a lot of evolution built into our brains and it takes a lot of effort to fight that.

Bias - Wikipedia
List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia
View attachment 403511

It doesn't help that some smart people who understand this fact actively manipulate us using our own brains against us.

I don't think that the problem is people are getting dumber - I think we are getting smarter and more informed - research support this. But we are not getting wiser fast enough and more importantly, very few people recognize that they have biases and can be and actively are being manipulated.

REALLY?! Ask you average "schmoe" on the street to locate the "country" of Bismarck North Dakota on a map, then get back to us on that "research". :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::D;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top