JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I added a cheap Gamo 4X scope that I got in a deal bought along with another scope. Today, loaded up a few Gamo (for better or worse, a pattern) Hunter pellets that I bought long ago. At a measured 67 feet, I was getting about 3/4" groups, my heartbeat being the nemesis of better accuracy. I used some stick-on orange dots and at my final scope adjustment, I noted no orange. I found out why. My last three shots began to poke the dot through the 2020 calendar (ha!) I was using for target material. The trigger is really gritty-creepy, and I may have some work to do there.

IMG_3147.JPG

That's not bad for a stock Shadow 1K, you'll need better pellets to improve that much. The trigger is easy to work on and responds well to some polishing, possibly a spring swap, and some shims to take out slop. I also got frustrated with the pseudo 2-stage trigger on one of mine and eliminated it, don't remember exactly what I did, but it helped. Again, I don't remember details, but I think there's a mod you can do to allow adjusting sear engagement, that helps a lot with the creep. I've got an 890 I've been threatening to do some work on, same action as the S1K but in a wood stock, maybe if I get time this weekend, I'll tear it down, take some pics of the process of tuning and trigger mods. But that's only a maybe, my honey-do list is pretty long, I figure I'll be 237 by the time it's done, and that's if nothing gets added in the meantime 🤣. Later.

Dave

I have a decent (low cost) break action nitro-cylinder bb gun (OKOK pellet rifle) I've yet to bust out of the box. It's only been 2 years, c'mon man. I'm encouraged by reports like this. Brother got a much nicer $500 PCP 25 cal - that thing shoots pretty good, but as noted above, trigger is poor.

I think a good, quiet airgun is not only fun but possibly a good thing for SHTF scenarios.

I have a decent (low cost) break action nitro-cylinder bb gun (OKOK pellet rifle) I've yet to bust out of the box. It's only been 2 years, c'mon man. I'm encouraged by reports like this. Brother got a much nicer $500 PCP 25 cal - that thing shoots pretty good, but as noted above, trigger is poor.

I think a good, quiet airgun is not only fun but possibly a good thing for SHTF scenarios.
I've heard they really scatter "protestors" but have not personally tried it.

The scope's crosshairs subtend almost the entire orange dot, which is both a help and hindrance to aiming. When the orange disappears, I am pretty close to center. The crosshairs have to be thick to withstand the sharp spring-gun recoil, so that is part of the game. So far, I have shot only the hunter pellets, which are not going to have the best level of accuracy. I plan on trying some match pellets which I have on hand. Round .177 non-ferrous balls, even from a rifled barrel are not worth shooting. Those will go through the Co2 Daisy pistols I have.

Second, I will probably be buying a CharlieDaTuna Gamo trigger. $29.50 and fairly easy install. It is not a major investment and he seems to have a wealth of knowledge at his site. For one thing, I will be weighing my pellets as I have two balance beam scales.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top