JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I added a cheap Gamo 4X scope that I got in a deal bought along with another scope. Today, loaded up a few Gamo (for better or worse, a pattern) Hunter pellets that I bought long ago. At a measured 67 feet, I was getting about 3/4" groups, my heartbeat being the nemesis of better accuracy. I used some stick-on orange dots and at my final scope adjustment, I noted no orange. I found out why. My last three shots began to poke the dot through the 2020 calendar (ha!) I was using for target material. The trigger is really gritty-creepy, and I may have some work to do there.

IMG_3147.JPG

That's not bad for a stock Shadow 1K, you'll need better pellets to improve that much. The trigger is easy to work on and responds well to some polishing, possibly a spring swap, and some shims to take out slop. I also got frustrated with the pseudo 2-stage trigger on one of mine and eliminated it, don't remember exactly what I did, but it helped. Again, I don't remember details, but I think there's a mod you can do to allow adjusting sear engagement, that helps a lot with the creep. I've got an 890 I've been threatening to do some work on, same action as the S1K but in a wood stock, maybe if I get time this weekend, I'll tear it down, take some pics of the process of tuning and trigger mods. But that's only a maybe, my honey-do list is pretty long, I figure I'll be 237 by the time it's done, and that's if nothing gets added in the meantime 🤣. Later.

Dave

I have a decent (low cost) break action nitro-cylinder bb gun (OKOK pellet rifle) I've yet to bust out of the box. It's only been 2 years, c'mon man. I'm encouraged by reports like this. Brother got a much nicer $500 PCP 25 cal - that thing shoots pretty good, but as noted above, trigger is poor.

I think a good, quiet airgun is not only fun but possibly a good thing for SHTF scenarios.

I have a decent (low cost) break action nitro-cylinder bb gun (OKOK pellet rifle) I've yet to bust out of the box. It's only been 2 years, c'mon man. I'm encouraged by reports like this. Brother got a much nicer $500 PCP 25 cal - that thing shoots pretty good, but as noted above, trigger is poor.

I think a good, quiet airgun is not only fun but possibly a good thing for SHTF scenarios.
I've heard they really scatter "protestors" but have not personally tried it.

The scope's crosshairs subtend almost the entire orange dot, which is both a help and hindrance to aiming. When the orange disappears, I am pretty close to center. The crosshairs have to be thick to withstand the sharp spring-gun recoil, so that is part of the game. So far, I have shot only the hunter pellets, which are not going to have the best level of accuracy. I plan on trying some match pellets which I have on hand. Round .177 non-ferrous balls, even from a rifled barrel are not worth shooting. Those will go through the Co2 Daisy pistols I have.

Second, I will probably be buying a CharlieDaTuna Gamo trigger. $29.50 and fairly easy install. It is not a major investment and he seems to have a wealth of knowledge at his site. For one thing, I will be weighing my pellets as I have two balance beam scales.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads