JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just got the S8+. Looks nice, but not enough time with it yet to tell if it will be better than my Note3 :)

Hate the unremovable battery thing, but oh well.

I will show my age. o_O I have an iphone 5. It works great. I have it turned off most of the time.
Only family and a few close friends have the number. (and a few telemarketers :mad:).
I use it to make a few calls and texts. I rarely use it to access the internet unless I really need to. The GPS maps is pretty useful once in awhile. The only apps I have are black jack and poker to use if I get really bored like on an airplane. I like the music on it and my car can interact and play my music on the occasional road trip. I will keep using it until it dies as it does everything I need it to do. My wife and son are happy as they get to use up all the data in our plan that I don't use.

iPhone. That's all I will use. The two times I tried Android I had major slowdowns and had to reset them all the time. Same for my wife's experience with Android. Samsung's phones, like a lot of their other equipment has epic failures. I also use a Mac at home. Call me whatever you want, my stuff just works when it's supposed to.

Opinions abound; take mine with a grain of silicon.
If you care about a secure device, you want an iPhone. It's not great, but it's the least bad:

- Their hardware security architecture is superior to Android's (and is documented; see http://images.apple.com/iphone/business/docs/iOS_Security_Feb14.pdf).
- Apple has better control over their supply chain, which is why you don't usually read about preinstalled malware in iPhones.
- Their software ecosystem is better curated (read: walled garden), which reduces risk.
- Both ecosystems collect data about you, but Apple's business model does not include selling it to others (for now).
- Among people in information security and government who know a lot about these devices and don't trust _any_ device, most carry iPhones.

YMMV. It's not religion; just experience and opinion.

Editing to add:
- software security updates in the Android ecosystem are at the mercy of the carrier. Sometimes they are prompt (particularly on devices marketed by Google itself, like the Nexus). Most, sadly, only get updates occasionally for a couple of years, then nothing. With the iPhone, you get software security updates as soon as they are available, for as long as the device is supported.

Last Edited:
Only ones I've had experience with were Palm, Blackberry and iPhone, and all came from my employer. I'm currently on an iPhone 6s, I previously had a 4 and a 5. For the most part, I really like it, so much so that we got a 6s for my wife a few months ago. I use it for some talking (I don't care much for talking on the phone, I'd rather do that in person), checking emails, taking photos/videos at job sites, texting and some web browsing. It seems to hold a charge well and seems relatively free of problems - just never, ever do a software update if you're not connected to power or nearly fully charged - trust me on this one :(

But the phone is very handy, I would have a harder time doing my job without it. Only real complaint, and that applies to all smart phones, is the small keyboard for typing. If I have to type something longer, I do keep a bluetooth keyboard around - I don't have those lightning fast thumbs of the millennial generation ;)

So far after a full day of using it heavily in the field I'd give the S8+ an 8/10. Great speed, nice display, holds a charge.

Some things that should be simple like texting a pic is a pain. Apparently Verizon really wants people to use Message+.

Closing an app or hanging up on a phone call is not intuitive at all.

Apple vs Samsung/Android isn't worth debating. It is a tribal thing, whatever side you've chosen, the one you've investing in is 'better'. That is 30+ years in telecom talking. I always hear "I hate that, or this" and it just boils down to what someone is familiar with, not really which is better.

That said, I do tell my Apple friends to put their Fischer Price toys away and buy a real phone ;)

This was my favorite

IMG_0696.JPG

Maybe a good question to ask would be - how long have you had your phone / does it last?

My 5s iPhone was released in Sept 2013 and still will last me I'm guessing another year minimum if not 2. It was my wife's originally when New and I've had it for / years now.

Might need a $50 screen kit at some point but other then that no issues or replacements.

Last Edited:
Samsung's battery life has gotten better. My note 4 lasted for 2 days heavy use on a charge for it's first 2 years but now the cheap china battery I have in it lasts about 1 day. The rapid charging is really nice these days. You can get about 60% charged in 20-30 minutes.

One of my first smart phones was a blackberry - I didn't know they were still in business - I thought they went under a few years back.
They've been around forever. They started losing what market share they had when android and iPhone came on the scene. When the BB10 OS came out, it was capable of running android apps natively. Now all of their new models are android based. Still more secure than any android or IOS phone out there, although phone security is kind of relative, like anything else these days.
My BB Passport running the BB10 OS does everything every other phone can do. I was recently in Japan on a bullet train to Nagoya and my wife video called me from her Blackberry. I was able to watch my kid at her fencing tournament. It was pretty cool.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top