JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only people who speak well of HP in web forums (fora?) seem to be those who have one.
I would never (unless that's all there was) own or carry one myself, but for those to whom aesthetics don't matter they serve a purpose.
I don't like beets either, but I don't make fun of those who do.
Yeah, it kind of surprised me that people who can afford to furnish their home like a well funded museum would have a Jimenez.
Maybe it was a panic purchase and all the Korths were sold out by the time they got to Guns-R-Us.
Yup, they were lucky the mob didn't rush them.

I wouldn't speak well of HP, and have no desire to ever own one, but I do recognize that they seem to fill a niche and are apparently at least reliable and functional. Like a Volvo from the 1980s.

This is what concerns me the most.

While the McCloskeys' are being heralded as 'heros', defenders of their property etc. is great - I understand this but have their guns ever been fired? What LGS sold the McCloskeys' this POS Jimenez? Were these guns complete 'panic' purchases based on whatever they could find at the time?
Did they have ANY experience with firearms at at all?

Based on the choice of gun and the ineptitude with which it was handled, it's safe to say these aren't "gun people." Probably bought what they could find (with ammo) once things started looking like they could go south. Last time I went looking for ammo I found that the out-of-style handgun calibers like .380 and .32 auto are more available than ones like 9mm... so maybe that was the only option left where they could leave the store with a gun and ammo for it.

I do not own a hi point but I would have no problem owning one. Theyre ugly but for a CHEAP car gun that goes bang that you wouldnt care if it got ripped off it will fill the bill.

Worst pistol I ever owned was a 22 auto from Phoenix Arms. Misfired half the time or wouldn't eject properly. The first time I loaded CCI MiniMag into it, the frame cracked. Even like that, I got someone to trade me a few fresh salmon for it. He said he was going to JB Weld it back together. Ha. I told him to just buy a new frame. As if doing that was even worth it.

"It's ALL yours, man. And good luck to you..." (You're gonna need it) :) Total POS it was indeed.

Phoenix-Arms-HP22A_grande.jpg

Sorry, never got past the 'pose'. Lots of guns can be considered a piece of shyte. But if it puts a hole in you, it is 'job done'. With the right amount of 'tinkering' any belly gun will do the job. Recall the "Liberator" furnished by the allies! Oh, why were 'zip guns' outlawed?

Worst pistol I ever owned was a 22 auto from Phoenix Arms. Misfired half the time or wouldn't eject properly. The first time I loaded CCI MiniMag into it, the frame cracked.
LOL!

So did I (own one) and so did mine (crack!)

Sent it back, got it replaced and sold it IMMEDIATLY!

Worst pistol I ever owned was a 22 auto from Phoenix Arms. Misfired half the time or wouldn't eject properly. The first time I loaded CCI MiniMag into it, the frame cracked. Even like that, I got someone to trade me a few fresh salmon for it. He said he was going to JB Weld it back together. Ha. I told him to just buy a new frame. As if doing that was even worth it.

"It's ALL yours, man. And good luck to you..." (You're gonna need it) :) Total POS it was indeed.

View attachment 718264

Oh man, I remember those. I had a buddy who really loved his in .22LR and I read (unsurprisingly) glowing reviews of them, so when I spotted one in .25 ACP, I picked it up. Totally unreliable piece of sh ... eh, stuff. Easily one of the worst, if not the worst, handgun I've ever owned. :eek:

One I didn't own (it was my father's) that was worse was a Jennings in .22LR. The thing literally went to pieces in my hands when I was shooting it. One of my brothers bought one at the same time my papa did and he reported the same thing, though I wasn't there when it happened.

I had a Jennings 9mm once, back in the '90s. A friend had an identical one purchased at the same time. It came apart in his hands when he was shooting it. He tossed it in the trash without even looking into a warranty. Mine worked OK, but I couldn't get past the cheap, pot-metal feel (and the fact that it's twin blew up). I sold it cheap, with full disclosure of what it was.

I am a sucker for cheap guns, but they have to work. I have plenty of surplus rifles and pistols I bought many years ago when they were <$100. Of course they've all gone up to where they're not cheap now. I bought a cheap Rough Rider .22lr revolver, and loved it until it fell apart only a few months old. I bought a couple of Ruger Wranglers and still love them (far better gun for just a little more money- don't buy a Rough Rider, buy a wrangler!) I bought a couple old police turn-in S&W models 10 revolvers because they were cheap, but hey, they're S&W.

As to High Points, never owned or even shot one. I can't get past the ugly factor. However, I do have to admit that they have a pretty darn good reputation, for what they are. Functionality is where it's at, so I wouldn't have a problem owning one if that was what was available. They seem to be head-and-shoulders above the "junk guns" that were typically available in the past, like RG10 revolvers, Jennings pistols, and all the assorted cheap revolvers available for a couple dollars around the turn of the previous century. Many of them were barely functional out of the box, and typically worn out after a box or two of ammo.

It's also why I think diversification of calibers is probably better than consolidation. You're more likely to find SOMETHING you can use.
I agree, and then there are those like myself, who just have this weird thing about ammo. I've always liked ammo, even as a teenager before I got my first gun, fascinated with it. I have multiple ammo cans full of random, loose, odd-ball ammo that I've accumulated over the decades. Why? I don't know. Probably something my kids will have to dispose of someday.

Not to poo-poo on anyone's choice for their EDC, but anytime talk turns to the .25-.32-.380 pocket guns, all I can think of is the time I compared a Taurus 85 to some inexpensive .25 auto of a brand that escapes memory anymore.
I set them side by side (eventually stacking one on top of the other) and gave a good looking over.
Except for the obvious differences in width (it was like less than 1/2"), they were literally the same size.
I asked the guy behind the counter, "why would anyone choose to carry this (the .25), when this .38 is about the same size?"
He just shrugged his shoulders......I had to agree.

Not to poo-poo on anyone's choice for their EDC, but anytime talk turns to the .25-.32-.380 pocket guns, all I can think of is the time I compared a Taurus 85 to some inexpensive .25 auto of a brand that escapes memory anymore.
I set them side by side (eventually stacking one on top of the other) and gave a good looking over.
Except for the obvious differences in width (it was like less than 1/2"), they were literally the same size.
I asked the guy behind the counter, "why would anyone choose to carry this (the .25), when this .38 is about the same size?"
He just shrugged his shoulders......I had to agree.

I suppose it depends on the .25... if one is willing to pay for something outstanding (ie NOT a Raven, Phoenix, etc), there are .25's, .32's and .380's that no .38 snubby will approach in terms compactness.

Out of curiosity, juxtaposed my Seecamp with my .38, for example:

452FF476-DD5D-4875-AE00-E0E944A861F5.jpeg

Not that the Seecamp is my go-to carry gun (though occasionally I do carry it), I just think there's a place for it depending on the circumstances because of the extreme compactness.

The Keltec P-32 I used to have was really tiny. When I was a lot younger, dad traded something, I think some chainsaw parts maybe, for a nickel plated 25, Jennings I think. We took it out and shot it after we had a chance to get a couple boxes of ammo from Bi-Mart. Some of the shots literally bounced out of the block we used as a backstop after making a dent about 3/8 thick. Some stuck into it. None disappeared. I lost interest in a the 25 ACP right there.

The 32 was about that small, but those little pills were not bouncing off the backstop any time soon.

This is what concerns me the most.

While the McCloskeys' are being heralded as 'heros', defenders of their property etc. is great - I understand this but have their guns ever been fired? What LGS sold the McCloskeys' this POS Jimenez? Were these guns complete 'panic' purchases based on whatever they could find at the time?
Did they have ANY experience with firearms at at all?

I am not passing judgement but the bottom line is the McCloskeys' were incredibly LUCKY. If the mob had decided to take them in a general flail I'll bet not a shot would have been fired and they would have been disarmed, beaten in short order and their guns taken.

It's obvious they have no understanding of basic defense, were not utilizing any cover or concealment and not displaying any proper firearm handling even in an open, non-concealed environment.
It could have been inherited or such. If he's savvy enough to buy an AR, I doubt that he would get the Jiminez to go along with it. As far as their firearms competency, that's another matter.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews