JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would use the same volume of powder and shot, wether it is a cartridge, flint or percussion BP shotgun. My 16 gauge flinter uses 1 oz shot with about 75 grains 3f. They both take up about the same volume. I think with a 28 gauge you would use about 3/4 to 5/8 oz of shot and the same volume of powder.

The rule is 16 gauge load uses 1/16th of a lb of payload or 1oz, 12 gauge uses 1/12 of a lb or about 1 1/8 oz shot. adjust accordingly.

Perhaps you have a little more information you could share. Does it shoot blackpowder shells or is it a muzzleloader? Who is the maker? If it's a muzzleloader, what kind of ignition does it use? How long is the barrel and what sort of proof marks are on the barrel?

It's a muzzleloader and it says <AMR> (C-28) on it. According to what very little info I could find on the web, it was likely imported in the '70s.

No proof marks, and besides the model, the only other thing it says on it is "made in spain" and "8232", which I would assume is the serial number.

Barrel is about 28".

It's got a little surface rust and feels really cheap, so I'm going to fire it the first time using a string and a sandbag. I'm just having a hard time finding out how much powder and shot I should use in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like you have a JUKAR shotgun, made in Spain, and not known for its outstanding quality.

Before getting into load development make sure that there is not a load already inside the bore. It is not uncommen to find one still loaded. My original 1861 Springfield Riflemusket still had a load in it that I had to pull.

I would clean the bore and get a borescope or fishing bobber light or something down the bore and check for pitting. Severe pitting = bad.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top