JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The bead sight on my H&R Pardner Protector(I know the easiest fix would have been to just buy an American made shotgun) snapped off. Can anyone tell me the best way to get it out without having to drill and tap it? I can't afford professional or even semi competent gun smithing right now so I've gotta DIY it.

I have been in the same boat.
I made my own "easy out" using a small flat jewelers file handle to extract the brass threads.
The hardest part was drilling the hole dead center in the remaining threads. I used a dremel tool because it was easier to hold and I could adjust the rpm's to a very slow rate, plus it held a very small drill bit.
Make sure you soak the threads in Kroil overnight, plus heat up the surrounding steel barrel some to help break the threads loose.
The square shank of the file when tapped down into the drilled out brass will grab the remaining threads and rotate them out.

I had a rifle sight screw that broke. The way I got it out was to get it as flat as you can with a file or whatever and get a reverse drill bit from the hardware store. The bit should be 3/4 to 1/2 the size of the piece being taken out. Slowly drill it out.

I am going to assume whats left of the sight is made out of brass,,,,you can take a very small sharp,,pointed file or very small knife blade,, and start cutting whats left of the sight ""without damaging the barrel if you are careful""..start cutting a flat tip screwdriver slot in the top of whats left of the screw,, take your time, when it appears that you have a good slot etched into the top of it,, spray a little kroll or wd-40 on it.. heat it up with a butane torch a little,, then let it cool down some,forcing the oil into the threads,, then gently try to screw it out,with a very small jewelers screwdrive or equivalent., take your time and be gentle, patience and finesse are your friends...:D

Get a left handed drill bit. They drill in the counter clockwise direction and are designed to remove screws. I have a set of easy outs that have them and most of the time the easy out is not needed because the screw came out with the drill. I would put some heat on it first to ensure that any lock tite bond is broken. It will be important to be centered so a fine center punch may be in order.
1/16" left handed bit

This is the smallest one that mcmaster has but maybe someone makes a smaller one.

Eli, if you have a box the barrel will fit in you can send it to me and I will do it for you for free!

Takes me less than five minutes on my mill to drill the old one out and put a new bead of your choice on.

Just send me a PM if your interested!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads