JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
crocodile GIF

just wondering if there is such a thing, People have there own choices i get that but some would say whats the best shotgun many will say the benilli m4 is there a knife like that that would be considered the best?
No. The question becomes best knife for...

For example, there are 3 main factors that I can think of right off the top of my head. (there are others) Hardness, toughness and corrosion resistance.
Super hard and for the right tasks, blade will stay sharp a heck of a lot longer but some will literally break like glass if dropped. Also these are more prone to microchipping dulling your blade. Also makes the knife harder to sharpen
Toughness is usually in tension with hardness and they are usually inverse. Tougher steels are generally softer and for certain tasks will retain an edge longer as they do not chip on a microscopic level as much. They tend towards being easier to sharpen.
Corrosion resistance is the 3rd major factor I consider. Some of the nitrogen steel alloys have absolutely stupid corrosion resistance, but okay hardness and reasonable toughness.

In general, I prefer knives made of s45vn, s30v and s110v or 20cv from reputable manufacturers for daily use. I can make a pretty mean 1095 fixed blade. s110v is hard though and somewhat brittle. I use it for light duty and precision.

just wondering if there is such a thing, People have there own choices i get that but some would say whats the best shotgun many will say the benilli m4 is there a knife like that that would be considered the best?

Best for what....?
Knife blades come in many shapes , some of which are better suited for certain purposes better than others.

A Gerber MKII for example has an almost cult following...with its long double sided blade...it was designed as a combat knife from the get go....
However as well made as it is .....It is not so good at helping you clean a deer.

My favorite knife is my Blackjack model 5...I carried it in the Army and it served me well on 4 combat deployments.
It still gets used a camping and hunting knife today.

With that said...
It is not the "best" for my everyday carry knife nowadays...
That would either be my Case Sodbuster or my old Boy Scout pocket knife.

Best is extremely subjective.
Andy
The answer to your question is the same concerning guns, and where Andy stopped just short of saying is…..

The best knife is the one in your hand when you need it!

;)

I have several "best knives". They are best for me but may not be "best" at all for the next person. I do buy more than one if I find a knife design I think is outstanding (very rare) because they often go out of production.

Also for me there is often at least one "best knife" for a particular use.

I'm still trying to find "the best" blackberry wacker. Xmas tree knife is good and a katana ground down to remove the weight is ok. Various machetes are barely ok. But mostly are poor. $12 cold steel bushman Bowie on a small pole/handle is pretty good too. Cordless hedge trimmer would be good also if it weren't for the weight.

I have several "best knives". They are best for me but may not be "best" at all for the next person. I do buy more than one if I find a knife design I think is outstanding (very rare) because they often go out of production.

Also for me there is often at least one "best knife" for a particular use.

I'm still trying to find "the best" blackberry wacker. Xmas tree knife is good and a katana ground down to remove the weight is ok. Various machetes are barely ok. But mostly are poor. $12 cold steel bushman Bowie on a small pole/handle is pretty good too. Cordless hedge trimmer would be good also if it weren't for the weight.
I have a soft spot for the cold steel bushman. I have one I bought in 94 or 95 and it literally saved me from falling to my death in the high sierras. I was sliding on ice, after my foothold collapsed, accelerating towards a sheer cliff and because of the complete lack of retention in the bushman sheaths it popped out and hit my hand. I was able to grab it and use it as a brake. My water bottle went over the edge and I watched it fall for what felt like forever. I like that knife

…cold steel bushman... I was able to grab it and use it as a brake. My water bottle went over the edge and I watched it fall for what felt like forever. I like that knife
Yeah, dang straight!!

I have more knives than makes any sense, and most are cool or interesting. Bunch of switchblades, old time pocket knives, flipper folders, skinning and hunting, knives with exotic handles, Bowies and expensive commando-stabby things and other fighters that aren't worth a nickel of use in my life as yet.

A Swiss Army knife with blade, screwdrivers, awl, maybe a saw, has been more useful to me in my "suburban redneck" lifestyle than any other. That makes it the best knife I own.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top