JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
not sure about washington laws or rules for that season but we have a cabelas Hawken traditional style that has killed a few deer and is very accurate. I think they go for around 400.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4731
This guy is in Yakima and is a co-worker of mine. Probably a decent price for a barely used gun. I'm more of a traditionalist though (flint longrifle).

.54 TC Hawken in percussion, probably one of the more bullet-proof commercially made rifles. Pseudo-authentic so not a real traditionalist rifle, but who cares, you're after elk. They can stand a fair amount of abuse, you can find roundballs and maxi-balls almost anywhere, and you can use the fake blackpowder substitutes if you want with percussion.

I'd keep the shots within 100yds FWIW on elk.

with the hawken and a full load of powder with a round ball accuracy is no problem at 100yds although I wouldn't go any further than that, no matter the muzzle loader that you use

The Hawkens are good. My dad shoots a 54 cal TC Hawken, and I always loved that gun. Being a lefty, the hammer always made me nervous so I went with a TC Scout, but neither of us has had any problems with wet powder in the woods. And they're both accurate enough for deer and elk out to 100 yards. Whatever you get, test different loads and find something that shoots accurate. I'd have to check, but I think we both stay around 70 grains of powder to keep the groups tight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top