JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi y'all

So I've decided to upgrade my gun safe. I have a cheap pos Chinese gun safe that is more like a gun locker and I want to get something to keep my guns and valuables safe from a burglary obviously) and fire.

I want to buy a US made safe and I've been looking at either a Liberty 18 guns safe or the ProVault version that I guess is made by Liberty as well.

If you don't mind, let me know what you have and how it's working out for you.

My budget is $500-$550 and I only have two carbines and 4 pistols. I also have six 50 cal. ammo cans and a couple of smaller ones.
I don't plan on expanding my collection so the 18 guns safe should be plenty of room.

Also I have wood floors, do any of you have a safe bolted to a wood floor? Let me know how or what you did.

Thanks.

Last Edited:
The best one you can afford.

Remember the difference between a cabinet and a safe.

Hi y'all

So I've decided to upgrade my gun safe. I have a cheap pos Chinese gun safe that is more like a gun locker and I want to get something to keep my guns and valuables safe from a butgular (obviously) and fire.

I want to buy a US made safe and I've been looking at either a Liberty 18 guns safe or the ProVault version that I guess is made by Liberty as well.

My budget is $500-$550 and I only have two carbines and 4 pistols. I also have six 50 cal. ammo cans and a couple of smaller ones.
I don't plan on expanding my collection so the 18 guns safe should be plenty of room.

Also I have wood floors, do any of you have a safe bolted to a wood floor? Let me know how or what you did.

Thanks.

I don't know where you get a safe that will hold 18 guns, that's the quality of Liberty, for what you're stating your budget to be. I went Tracker because it was much better that the Stack On cabinet I had. And they were right up in Vancouver if I ever need service/parts.

The best deals in town are found in estate sales. I'm going to look at one off of SE 82nd this morning.
I don't know what brand, quality or size it will be as they didn't post a picture in the sale ad, but I've seen some top line safes go for 1/4 of what they're worth, mostly because they want them gone and they're a pain to move.
Every once and awhile they'll be a nice one on Craigslist for cheap, but you have to be looking for them on a regular basis.
Just last week, Craigslist had two large commercial double door fire/theft safes that would need the metal shelves removed and some padding installed, but they only wanted $150.00 each.

Hi y'all

So I've decided to upgrade my gun safe. I have a cheap pos Chinese gun safe that is more like a gun locker and I want to get something to keep my guns and valuables safe from a butgular (obviously) and fire.

Thanks.

I'm almost afraid to ask but, what's a "butgluar"? o_O

:s0140:

Last Edited:
I bought a Tracker safe. It's not the highest quality but it's secure and too heavy to carry away.
It was a great price and right across town.

You can't beat a liberty. They are nothing but quality.

My tracker had some issues, probably why they were selling at a good price

Hi y'all

Thanks.

For that price as mentioned your best bet is used. As mentioned though you may have to hunt for a while to stumble onto one.
As for bolting wood floor is super easy. Drill hole, use lag bolts. As I always say the safe, any safe is just there to slow them down. I put mine in a small closet we could do without. Bolted down. I then hardened the door and added a couple lockes to the door to the closet. Said closet is also NOT in master bedroom. So many smash'n grab dopers may never even look. Those that do it will take some time and noise.
Another for the time being. Don't put all the eggs in one basket. Walk around the home and you will think of places to hide or easily make a hide spot. Put a gun or two away like this. At least if you get hit even if they manage to make off with the safe, you will still have at least one gun. Not to mention depending on the size of the place may be nice to have something in more than one place.

I went to the estate sale and it was one of those cheap metal cabinets that would only be good for ammo.
You never know until you show up, or they post a picture.

I went to the estate sale and it was one of those cheap metal cabinets that would only be good for ammo.
You never know until you show up, or they post a picture.

Yep hunting around at those things is often hit and miss. Damn some times I see people come home with some smokin damn deals though. Someone selling something they either did not know the value of or just did not care and wanted it gone. Used to work with a guy who did this in spare time a lot. He stumbled onto some REALLY nice deals from time to time.

My safe is reasonable..... for what I paid. Bought it at a box store, floor model, scratch and dent etc... walked away around $400 lighter.

When moved to new house it's in concrete with anchors now. Lol. I need some 6" plates to put between the safe floor and the nut for more stability. It's also in a really awkward spot so stealing from it or prying with a long bar would be really hard.

It's empty now so I have no need to buy one that's more expensive, some day though it will be filled again.

Repeat the earlier statement: but what you can afford. You can always sell it later when you upgrade to somebody else looking for their first safe or a secondary one.

Head over to Bulldog Tuff Safes in Warren. They have a really good selection. They also carry Superior Safes with solid steel doors. They have the less expensive Champion Safes too which also have a solid steel door.

There are a few on there website, which means in stock, close to your budget.

They are friendly and work with your budget without pushing you into something more expensive.

I went cheap the first time too, my advice, save or sell to get something much better. I spent 600 the first time. The second time I went about 4 times that. Now I have something I feel safe keeping things in, from theft and fire.

I bought my first real Gun Safe about two years ago. I like you only wanted an American made Safe and I only wanted to spend $500-$800. After months of research I realized that if I wanted a quality American made safe that I was going to have to up my budget, I ended getting a Fort Knox Maverick 6026 for $1400.

I did a ton of research and it came down to Fort Knox and Liberty. From my research and at my price point I found that Fort Knox used thicker steel for the money, had the right size I was looking for and has better construction.

I bought my first real Gun Safe about two years ago. I like you only wanted an American made Safe and I only wanted to spend $500-$800. After months of research I realized that if I wanted a quality American made safe that I was going to have to up my budget, I ended getting a Fort Knox Maverick 6026 for $1400.

I did a ton of research and it came down to Fort Knox and Liberty. From my research and at my price point I found that Fort Knox used thicker steel for the money, had the right size I was looking for and has better construction.
what gauge metal does your ft knox use? my liberty uses 11ga.

im just curious. my safe weigjs a LOT. i could only imagine what a fort knox weighs

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top