JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ford F-250 crewcab that is 2 wheel drive and is a Lariat model (all the bells and whistles.) The only thing I use it for is traveling back and forth to AZ where we spend the winters. I opted for a V-10 rather than a diesel simply because I didn't want one. The truck has 87,000 miles on it and is serviced at a local garage. This truck can pull just about anything. I have a 38' Montana 5th wheel and it tows very easily. My bride and I are giving some consideration to parking the 5th wheel on our property in AZ and selling the truck. Now I need a truck' cause I'm always getting lumber, etc. for projects. I'm thinking maybe a Chevy Colorado crewcab or something like that. maybe a six cylinder engine with an automatic. Does anyone own one? What do you think?

What is your 'mission' 85% of the time? Buy for that. It's the same thinking when buying an aircraft or a boat.

Truck considerations and that 85% rule:
  • Full-size or mid-size? Ford F-150 versus say a Toyota Tacoma.
  • Two doors, 'super' cab, full cab (4 doors)?
  • Box length? Full 8' or shorter?
  • 2WD or 4WD?
  • Hauling or towing capacity?
  • Engine size? V8? V6?
  • Purchase costs, and ongoing costs (e.g. gas mileage)?
If your mission dictates smaller 85% of the time, you could probably rent a full-size pickup for those times when you need it.

Why not a used full-size?
The smaller trucks are fine, lve had a few... S10s, a Ranger, a Mazda B2200, etc. But there's not much in the way of a savings advantage on fuel costs, especially if your going to keep it in town. $0 as far as upkeep... fluids and parts, maintenance, repairs. Tires might be an exception if they are appreciably smaller.

I generally stick to regular cab shortbed, 4x4s, since l mostly use my truck as a conveyance... l don't use it for work or pull a trailer. As such, parking isn't an issue.

New trucks are crazy-expensive. Shopping well can find you a nice, used model for less than half of what a new one costs. I find car payments loathsome, so maybe I'm projecting a little bit here. You want to buy from a previous owner like me: maintained and gently used (the truck, not me).

The Colorado, Ford's new Ranger, Toyota, all very nice vehicles, l just don't see an advantage over a full-size. It might be tough to transition down from that big F250

Last Edited:
If your mission dictates smaller 85% of the time, you could probably rent a full-size pickup for those times when you need it.
Many of the trucks I've sold in the past decade went to an owner who just wanted to keep it on standby... a third or even fourth vehicle. My '92 F150 went to a guy for $1500 who told me he was only buying it to remove some brush he was clearing from his property then resell it in a few mos. He probably made a little profit on the deal :s0114:

I recently read an article that said new pickups are in short supply right now, and prices for used pickups are high because that. The real point of the article was objecting to import duties, so it may not be true.

Has anyone checked out the used pickup market recently? I have not.

If the article is correct, selling the old F250 now and waiting until the economy comes back may be the best option, since occasional use can be worked around.

I have heard that the latest Colorado has serious issues from both online sources and a few people who own them.
I have also heard that the new Ranger is a great option, if you prefer "American branded" vehicles.
Of course, a Tacoma and Frontier are excellent choices as well.

As others have said, a 1/2 ton full size is a good option also. 11 years ago I was in the market for a truck, was looking at Tacomas. Turns out they are spendy! I ended up with a Nissan Titan 4x4 Crew Cab and Big Tow. MPG was 1-2 less than Tacoma, otd price was cheaper, and capability is way better than a Tacoma. And, after 11+ years my Titan has proven to be as reliable as any Toyota.

In 11 years I have NEVER regretted getting the full-size truck over a smaller truck. I have used it to it's max and over many times and the bigger trucks just shrug off stuff the smaller trucks can't handle.

The market is in turmoil right now, kind of a bad time to be a buyer.

I bought a new Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton in 2018, it had so many transmission issues that I eventually fixed it with a new 2019 F350 Lariat Powerstroke. The Chevrolet dealer said the transmission was in spec and would not fix it. I don't believe that it should bark the tires when slowing down for every stop sign. So, my recommendation would be to stay away from Chev. I will never buy new again as I don't see the value. I'll keep my $70k truck until I die and it'll be passed down to one of my lucky kids, lol.

Why not a used full-size?
The smaller trucks are fine, lve had a few... S10s, a Ranger, a Mazda B2200, etc. But there's not much in the way of a savings advantage on fuel costs, especially if your going to keep it in town. $0 as far as upkeep... fluids and parts, maintenance, repairs. Tires might be an exception if they are appreciably smaller.

I generally stick to regular cab shortbed, 4x4s, since l mostly use my truck as a conveyance... l don't use it for work or pull a trailer. As such, parking isn't an issue.

New trucks are crazy-expensive. Shopping well can find you a nice, used model for less than half of what a new one costs. I find car payments loathsome, so maybe I'm projecting a little bit here. You want to buy from a previous owner like me: maintained and gently used (the truck, not me).

The Colorado, Ford's new Ranger, Toyota, all very nice vehicles, l just don't see an advantage over a full-size. It might be tough to transition down from that big F250
I'm an old guy and driving my Ford not as pleasant as I had hoped it would be. Lots of road noise from the tires. It rides kind of rough. It gets 11-12 MPG. I need to be realistic about my driving future. A small crewcab would allow me to have my 90 pound Golden retriever with me when I'm out and about. Right now I drive a MB SLK 350 and I'm going to sell it too. No room, expensive to maintain or repair, but fast and really fun to drive. It sits in the garage for 7 months out of the year. I'm winding down this life and a smaller pickup will do just fine for me. I've owned more than 70 cars and trucks thus far and think that a Toyota SR5 sized crewcab with 2 wheel drive and lots of creature comforts would be great. I spoke with my mechanic friend today about the Colorado and he seems to think that it really depends on what year I'm looking at. I'll never buy a new one, but would mind a newer used one. I'll look harder when I get back from Arizona. Thanks for your input!

Nothing touches Toyota. Many people are brand loyal like me of course. But I was in the business. If the Toyota has enough of what you need, everything else is horrible choice.
let the opinions begin to fly. Lol!!!!

Nothing touches Toyota. Many people are brand loyal like me of course. But I was in the business. If the Toyota has enough of what you need, everything else is horrible choice.
let the opinions begin to fly. Lol!!!!
Bought my wife a 2020 Toyota (so I'm not against Toyota), so take this with a grain of salt: I would put my Nissan truck up against any 'yota any day. I've owned it over 11 years and I joke it's a "Camry truck" for reliability.

I'll be honest though, I am anxiously awaiting the 3rd gen Tundra. I LOVE my 1st gen Titan, but I think Toyota has it's "mojo" back. Current Tundra would be slapped-around like a $10 hoe by my 2007 Titan, though.

What do I think of a pickup?
Depends on what you're asking .o_O

- Dinner and drinks would be nice, but I should warn you.....
....I'm not much of a dancer and my wife'll kick yer butt if you don't get me home by 11.

or

- they're better than a motorcycle for carrying lumber or bales of hay.

or

- boats are often preferred for pulling water-skiers or fishin'.

Last Edited:
Vans make more sense west of the Cascades. Every pickup here has a compost pile in the bed. :)

Wait, what? We're in rural southern Oregon and the V8, 4x4 is most important. No compost pile anywhere. :p (Though God how I miss living in eastern Oregon. Sigh.)

I'd never buy smaller than a 1/2 ton. Small pickups cost just as much and are more recreational than practical. Current turbo V6s and even the V8s in 1/2 tons don't do that bad on gas. But, at least you don't have to call a friend because your truck is too small to haul something.

^. Agreed, completely, and on all points.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top