JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Remington Model 742 Oops I mean 740 Woodsmaster

So any own one, what do you think.
I am looking at that on a trade but unsure since I never owned one. This is not the exact picture but is like this.

iu[1].jpg
Thanks

Last Edited:
We had one in the family.
A 1958 M740.
Very reliable but Minute of Deer boiler room accuracy.

I have since replaced it with a pristine M7400 BDL.
Haven't shot it yet, but 7400 was the final revision.
(improved locking lugs, I believe)

Many will rag on it, but the 740 we had was a good gun.
You just weren't going to shoot any groups that you could cover with a quarter.

I have a 22LR Sig Pistol for trade we are discussing. I don't use the Sig 22 its has like 50rds thu it and sits in my safe.
A guy near me has this and I am wondering well since I don't use the SIG and maybe this would be a nice piece.

I have one as my hunting rifle. Heavy but very easy and comfortable to shoot. Added a boonie packer sling and it is now good to go for long treks through the forest. I paid $300 for mine last year and added a $200 Leupold VX1.

Remington's new version of this is almost $800 w/o optic. Saw one at Sportmans in Albany a few months back.

I've had several iterations of it. All were reliable and shot accurately enough for me. Check the bolt rails for nicks, hot loads do bad things to them and most folks don't notice.
What length is the barrel? They're a hoot to shoot with a twenty inch barrel. :confused:

P.S. I'd do the trade. You get a new stick and swap short for long.

LOL I am ok with it but I mistyped its a 740 not 742, which make it older which for me is cool and that would make it Pre-1960 and it looks really good for 56 years or older. I not sure how I misread but I like older guns so its cool with me and the 740 was only made a few years :)

Here she is. Not picked up yet, but decided to go for it.
View attachment 366061\
View attachment 366062

Comes with tow mags which I hear is hard to find extras that are factory.

I may be mistaken but I believe the pumps and autos take the same mags?
Hey, an auto loading -06? Try picking up a new auto loading anything in that or .308 for under a grand, just saying.

Well its official meeting the guy tomorrow to do our trades. More I research these the more I think I will enjoy it. It has a very low serial number so will do some more research on the year when I get it. Outside of light cleaning and inspection and if the wood needs sealing I am leaving it as is. I know allot of people modify these but want to keep it as much as it came from the factory if possible.

I've got a 740 in .30-06. I like to carry it, it's heavy but well balanced. Mine is about average for accuracy, that is, 3+moa!
It has been very reliable. The only problem was the old magazine gave up the ghost, I bought two so as to have a spare. If you like woods hunting, that's where they shine! More power than a .30/30, instant follow up shot. I've never scoped mine, use the factory irons! Enjoy your new rifle! :)