JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry I didn't see this thread before you did the trade. Let me go out ( in a few) and take a couple photos of what to look for when looking at a used Remington auto loader.
These rifles are well known in the gunsmithing world as the yearly pre hunting season income generators.

Remington made these rifles slightly difficult to keep the locking lug and chamber clean. So some of them sit around year after year with dirty chambers. It causes them to end up having timing issues. The bolt and carrier end up creating havoc inside the frame. When the bolt travels rearward during recoil, sometimes the bolt head itself tries to rotate and it jams and sticks. Fire a few shots and extraction is sluggish and it causes the extractor to come out of its recess in the bolt head.
Every year I see them with chambers that are corroded up, causing all sorts of issues.
Replacement barrels are getting harder and harder to find.

IMG_8334.JPG

Last Edited:
Hi there, well its in hand, I checked it pretty good its internally clean and in pretty good shape,
I came home and checked it date a 02/1955 manufacture date as well
I'll have to take it down all the way and check everything before I will fire it. Appreciate any insight :)

I also see in the Remington 740 that was the first year 1955 of the Autoloader in 30.06.
So this was only made in February explains the low serial number cool.

Here she is. Not picked up yet, but decided to go for it.
View attachment 366061\
View attachment 366062

Comes with tow mags which I hear is hard to find extras that are factory.
Nice.
The forend looks like it could be original with the common finger groove.
The buttstock looks like a replacement with a ton of drop.
Here's a great write-up on the history of the design...
Remington 740/742/7400  Semi-Aut

My father's 1958 was an ADL in 30-06 and looked exactly like the ADL in the 5th picture set down the page.
22" barrel, I believe.

Oh boy. Foggie memories. With some heavy fitting, do BAR mags fit? Or am I confusing .308 with 30.06? Getting old here! :)

Edit: FN 49 30.06 10 rd box mags? I had one of those in High School.

Last Edited:
It's a semi auto '06 and you can't go wrong if it's halfway decent. Four rounds of .30-06 is pretty big medicine whether it's from an M1 or a Remington. All of my 740 series (740, 742, 7400) were chambered in '06 and not one was a dud.

Now I just gotta find a video or something on the disasemble. Found one but was just the trigger still looking for one that fully does it.

Sorry I didn't see this thread before you did the trade. Let me go out ( in a few) and take a couple photos of what to look for when looking at a used Remington auto loader.
These rifles are well known in the gunsmithing world as the yearly pre hunting season income generators.

Remington made these rifles slightly difficult to keep the locking lug and chamber clean. So some of them sit around year after year with dirty chambers. It causes them to end up having timing issues. The bolt and carrier end up creating havoc inside the frame. When the bolt travels rearward during recoil, sometimes the bolt head itself tries to rotate and it jams and sticks. Fire a few shots and extraction is sluggish and it causes the extractor to come out of its recess in the bolt head.
Every year I see them with chambers that are corroded up, causing all sorts of issues.
Replacement barrels are getting harder and harder to find.

View attachment 366198

Good news its spotless inside the bolt looks like new. Someone loved this firearm, The guy I got it from shot it about five times in 20 years the guy he got it from obviously didnt use it much either.
The rails are smooth. I see a tad amount of brass tarnish but is not stuck to the metal comes off.
The receiver has no rust spots or anything so I think it was in a safe allot hard to find a 60 year old gun with no barrel or rec rust or even a little. Seems so far in good shape. Planning on dissemble as soon as I can find info to do so.

Since you asked.....

Well, I've never owned one. Why?

OK....besides the fact that I don't hunt......
1) If I wanted a semi auto in .30-06......I'd shoot a Garand.
2) If I wanted a semi auto in .308.....I'd shoot an M1a.
3) If I wanted to hunt......I'd shoot a bolt action.

Then.....the stories about cleaning it.......
OK, some folks are better at it, than others. But, there are stories out there about the difficulty of cleaning the semi auto line of Remington hunting rifles.

And I forgot to mention, the reports on the accuracy (or lack there of).

But.....what do I know? I don't own one and I've never felt the great urge to get one. That's just me. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....May 2017.....OK, so this comment/post will be floating around out there, in the internet universe. Probably FOREVER.

And.....when will you give us an update on your shooting it?

Well before that tragic 2nd Boat accident:rolleyes:.

I did ended up trading for it. Its very clean, and the rails are perfect. It looks like it was used maybe once a year for hunts.
Seems a good ole rifle, not bad on cleaning but takes time to do so. No recoil basically at all, was fun to shoot. It was only out once
so no other updates. I actually forgot about this thread until I say it pop up again.

My brother in law had one on 30-06. Had a Older Bushnell 3x9 on it. Not the most accurate target shooting rifle, but at 300 yards or less you could count on putting meat in the freezer if you did your part. He said it was especially fond of the Federal bare-bones blue box 150gr. It never let him down in the field.