JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tonight I bought a used rifle from Cabelas marked Sako A7 S. The gun looks to be brand new and came with an extra magazine and decent sling. It all would seem self explanatory except that I can't find the configuration anywhere else online. Here are the idiosyncrasies: The bluing is matte grey, rifle is about 6.5 lbs, barrel is ported (appears factory) but not threaded, stock is not normal synthetic rather it is much nicer and has a decelerator pad that also looks factory, 300 wsm. Got it for only $689.00 which looks like a very good deal. Anyway, I'd like to know if this is all a normal factory rifle or if somebody assembled it or if it could possibly have been ordered with these specs? I've looked at hundreds and hundreds of Sako A7 pics online and haven't seen one like this.

20190205_211432.jpg 20190205_211411.jpg 20190205_211402.jpg

Yes, that's exactly what happened. That's why it was priced low.

Which doesn't mean that it wasn't done correctly or the rifle isnt going to be a great shooter, just means its been altered from its original form. I dont think thats a "Tecomate" model, but it has the same Bell & Carlson stock. Thats mo-better than the original stock as far as rigidity.

Barrel probably is threaded for the brake, you might not be able to see the seam because of the cerakote?
Does the barrel have the appropriate Sako factory markings, or could it be a custom barrel?

Which doesn't mean that it wasn't done correctly or the rifle isnt going to be a great shooter, just means its been altered from its original form. I dont think thats a "Tecomate" model, but it has the same Bell & Carlson stock. Thats mo-better than the original stock as far as rigidity.

Didn't say it wasn't done correctly, but the market has proven time and time again that customizing a gun lowers the value, no matter how practical or cool you think it is. If you think I'm wrong, and I'm not, go cruise the classifieds. $500 ARs with 1k in add ons, glocks with stippling, etc. Buyers generally won't pay for your customizing. That said, this was a good deal for a shooter. Fine guns, just lower value. As Larry Potterfield says "that's the way it is"

Didn't say it wasn't done correctly, but the market has proven time and time again that customizing a gun lowers the value, no matter how practical or cool you think it is. If you think I'm wrong, and I'm not, go cruise the classifieds. $500 ARs with 1k in add ons, glocks with stippling, etc. Buyers generally won't pay for your customizing. That said, this was a good deal for a shooter. Fine guns, just lower value. As Larry Potterfield says "that's the way it is"

Yeah, totally agree. Just saying that its probably still a good rifle for a good price, just not going to go for the price as an original as you said before.

Make sure the gun is clear.

Look down the barrel end with a flashlight to see if you see the crown. If not then it's ported. If you see a crown. It's threaded and that's a very nicely matched brake.

Me thinks it's a brake as the inner diameter from the picture alone looks larger.

Dont forget, Cabelas does have special exclusive rifles from the manufacturers, this may have been one of those! Looks like a sweet set up, and being a SAKO, should stack 5 shots in a nice tiny little hole!:D
I say good score, enjoy!