JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If old is an option, I've got a Stevens Model 56 Buckhorn with a peep that hammers shotgun hulls at 50 yards all day. Would probably do the same at 100 yards but I cant see'um. :confused:

While a bit above your budget that Christensen Arms 22lr is a lot of gun for the money, takes 10/22 mags, Trigger Tech trigger, CF barrel, CF stock. Don't own one but might now that I know about it.

In your price range I would recommend:
- CZ 452, 455 or 457 if you want an heirloom quality, great shooting rimfire
- Tikka T1x, good aftermarket and excellent shooters out of the box
- Used you could get into a Anschutz model 64 for your budget

After a bit of research and shopping around, I decided to get a Tikka t1x with a Leupold vx freedom rimfire 3x9x40. I believe this setup will be fine for my style of plinking. I look forward to sneaking off to the local hills to sight it in. 20200310_133523.jpg

Carbon; Why not the Leupold Freedom 3x9 33mm AO EFR focus to 10 m or out there.
Tikka Rimfire has some great out there posts as being VERY accurate.
Keep us informed; I like the possible of one moreTikka in 22lr. Or better yet a 22 Mag

Edit: Oh yeah nice rifle Congrats;.

There are many options to choose from, I feel myself leaning towards a few but I wonder what the local crowd here favors. I have a ruger 10/22, and a ruger mk iv, I could go the American rimfire route and share mags or one of the many other brands. I would like to keep the rifle under 600, some of the higher end rifles I have been eyeing are the Tikka t1x or the cz 457. What bolt action 22's do you enjoy/recommend?
If you don't mind used/vintage, I still have the Mossberg 142A with 4X scope that my dad taught me to shoot with.
I could shoot the center out of a butter dish lid at 50 yards with that gun when I was a kid.
Takes short, long and long rifle.

Dean

Mossberg142A_1.JPG

I'm really enjoying the Ruger American Rimfires, currently. I got the Compact in .22lr and 22WMR. 18" barrel and modular stock. I got extra stock pieces to make it longer LOP if needed, but the compact stock is real handy. They both shoot as accurately as my CZ 452. Bonus is the compatibility with 10-22 mags in the .22lr version. Price can't be beat for all you get.

I'm very pleased with my bolt action Ruger M77/22M in .22 Magnum. It has served me well! I've tagged jackrabbits and ground squirrels at respectable distances. It functions very reliably and accurately. It wears a 3-9X scope that seems to cover my needs very adequately.

Piv 8 Ed 22M.jpg

.17HMR rounds ~ $.16-.17 each on sale (ammoseek.com)
22WMR rounds ~ $.16-.17 each on sale (ammoseek.com)
.223 Rem ~ $.30 each on sale (ammoseek.com)

22LR rounds ~ $.04 per round (ammoseek.com) & Bimart

22LR ammo is cheap enough to warrant owning a rifle and or pistol to get quality trigger time
Rimfire Varmint ammo is half the price of center fire or even less and fills the gap between 22LR & .223
I chose 22 WMR over 17 since there are some interesting 22WMR pistols and rifles out there I just might want.

However the OP asked about 22LR Bolt action. His/Her selection is a good one.

I have many 22LR rifles and pistols but only one bolt action, a Sako FinnFire, yea not sorry! Sako FinnFire.jpg

If bolt action is off the table, then there are many 22LR semi-autos with the 10-22 being a solid option.
For classic, consider old Sears rifles like this JC Higgins model 29. It's older than I am and looks better too!

JC Higgins 29-2.jpg

Old Mossbergs are really good shooters as well like this old 151M model b. Mossberg 151-2.jpg Mossberg 151-3.jpg

In the price range you stated you'll be hard pressed to do better than a Tikka 1X or CZ 457. Heck even the CZ MTR is right around $600. Both have good performance, the key will be testing several groups of ammo to find what it prefers best. Once you've narrowed down a practice ammo and a match ammo buy deep!

The Savage markII sv-sr is a great rifle well within your budget, even when considering replacing the poorly designed stock. I have one and have not got around to replacing stock but did put a riser on on the comb to help align eye to scope. It shoots fantastic but look elsewhere if you want iron sights.
My Exact feelings...
I have an FVSR also. The factory stock is crap. But it's a tac driver, and the trigger is sooo nice.
I found a chote cheek riser at a gun show and attached it with a drywall screw.. it's was a temporary fix that I've kept for 3 years now:p
BF2F70CB-6FF9-4657-BFCC-649570A63616.jpeg

There are many options to choose from, I feel myself leaning towards a few but I wonder what the local crowd here favors. I have a ruger 10/22, and a ruger mk iv, I could go the American rimfire route and share mags or one of the many other brands. I would like to keep the rifle under 600, some of the higher end rifles I have been eyeing are the Tikka t1x or the cz 457. What bolt action 22's do you enjoy/recommend?
What do you want out of the rifle (i.e. what are the most important factors for you)? Value? Accuracy above all else? Ability to suppress? Build quality? Size? Weight? Other?

Norinco JW 15. Action is very similar to the CZ 455. They tend to be very accurate. The stamped steel trigger guard and very high gloss stock ensure no beauty contest wins—but they can shoot.

View attachment 668254
Can you still buy those new or is it used only now? That stock you should be able to create a matte finish if you wanted I would think either via mild acid etch or microabrasion.

About the Norinco JW 15

one on gunbroker for $150.00 [used] buy it now price and it is ending in a few hrs.

Link is a search result so later if you click it and the 150.00 one is gone, it expired.

Another used one listed in exactly the same shape with a cheap scope for $320.00

Doubt you would find a new one of these and if you did, it would probably be on gunbroker for 800 bucks just cause it's new.