JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm really not into .22 LR. I like a gun that goes "BANG". And recoil that lets you know you've shot a real gun! On the other hand, old stuff is attractive to me. So 70+ YO .22LR rifles have my attention.

I picked this up from a member. Looked cool as hell and is really not all that common.
I don't think.
O F Mossberg & Sons Model 46 M (B).

P1040816.JPG P1040817.JPG

Only shot it at my indoor range at 50', but it will shoot inside a dime.

If I may interject, anyone have a recommendation for a .22lr bolt pistol thats optics ready? I think its a tall order without being willing to spend a arm and a leg, but my coworker is looking for something for varmints he can walk around his property with. Optics because he is a self described bad shot and a red dot would go along way. Bolt action because I know he wont clean it so its gotta run without routine cleaning/lube.

There's still time, my work is never done! :D

I got to tell you, it was really nice sitting at the bench with a rest and squinting to see through that little hole, and getting dime sized groups. Quiet, no recoil, no clean up really. Somehow those little .22s shoot the brass forward of the yellow line! You sure notice how loud regular hand guns are when your doing that with others shooting around you!

If I may interject, anyone have a recommendation for a .22lr bolt pistol thats optics ready? I think its a tall order without being willing to spend a arm and a leg, but my coworker is looking for something for varmints he can walk around his property with. Optics because he is a self described bad shot and a red dot would go along way. Bolt action because I know he wont clean it so its gotta run without routine cleaning/lube.
Chipmunk single shot.
1583256117697.jpeg

I have a Chipmunk in 22WMR. Great little plinker. Came with a 2X20 scope and a bipod for $219. They are based on the action that the Chipmunk rifles use, but are left-handed. A little front-heavy due to the rearward placement of the grip. With the bipod installed and shooting from a bench at golf balls it is more fun than the democrats want you to have. I've never done any serious accuracy testing, but it hits where I point it.

Some great deals on CZ 455 guns on gun broker right now.

CZ 455 gunbroker

There is one for 367 on there?? I have not seen the 455 thumbhole going for these types of prices, or at least I dont remember etc.

I am going for a 455 thumbhole varmint because I wanted one for a long time. I seen in the EU there is a version that is stainless but after doing a bunch of checking CZ is not bringing it over here.

I want the .17 but I got a HUGE hoard of .22 to shoot so I'm getting the .22 and then I'm going to get the .17 barrel for it. I'd like to find some one who has a used one with both barrels but I seen these more in the 500 range before so with them in the upper 300 range I'll bite now.

I am going to print out that gunbroker page and take it to all my local gun stores to see what they can do as with multiple dealers having these at these prices I'm hoping one of my local gun stores can get close and I can support them and buy it there.

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the responses, I have a bit of work on my end in narrowing down my pursuit. I will admit there was a savage model 19 I believe it was that I had my eye on in the cIassifieds, but it sold before I had the funds. I do enjoy the look of older rifles in walnut with the long sight radius of peep sights, but it seems as if most "nice" rifles today forgo the irons in favor of a scope. To go modern or classic, irons or optics, options options.

If vintage wood and blue steel are of interest, the various Mossbergs, such as @Mikej 's above, offer really good accuracy and value. I have 144SLB that will hold its own against anything that comes to our rimfire shoots and I bought it for $250.

Thanks for all the responses, I have a bit of work on my end in narrowing down my pursuit. I will admit there was a savage model 19 I believe it was that I had my eye on in the cIassifieds, but it sold before I had the funds. I do enjoy the look of older rifles in walnut with the long sight radius of peep sights, but it seems as if most "nice" rifles today forgo the irons in favor of a scope. To go modern or classic, irons or optics, options options.

If I was not going to put on a scope I would go with a red dot. That is because I am old and my eyes can not do well with irons sites any more and that is on pistols. With a rifle and the sites even farther apart I already know how sucky that would be for me. I got a Burris FF 3 and my eyes like it.

I know that would not give you that classic iron sites look but.... It could work. If your going for low cost then I can see where you might not want to spend what a quality red dot would cost. I was lucky and picked mine up at an estate sale where no one really knew what the gun stuff was worth so they just put on prices they thought were ok. That price was ok with me.

--------------------------------

Update: Just talked to every gun store in wenatchee and they all said the same thing, no deal on the CZ 455 it is no longer in production. These gun broker sellers are selling off new-old stock and those prices are never going to be available again after the stores burn through these available guns.

The CZ 457 is the new version and those are not available in the thumbhole stock and they are 500.00 retail.

So any one likes the CZ 455 with thumbhole stock here is your shot at getting a deal before these are all gone. Even used ones are going for more then this as people who paid 500 for one are not selling them much below the 450 range.

After the shipping and transfer fees and taxes. Figuring 380.00 as the base price plus the 9% tax plus shipping plus transfer fee your around 480.00 That sucks.

I did find - anacortes gun shop has these at 379.95 so you could save the 30 bucks shipping cost if you are withing driving distance. for me it is a 3 plus hr drive each way so shipping would be cheaper if they would keep it reasonable.

As for the Savage MARK II BTVS stainless thumbhole mentioned below, I did see one of those up close at my local gun store and was not happy with the build quality, ruff edges and bolt was just not that smooth, though it was stainless and was the thumbhole stock and it was certainly vary pretty and is currrently around 385.00.

Maybe I'm just too picky, I'm sure the Savage would shoot darn good. With me I'd take a dremil to the edges lap the bolt with some diamond lapping compound pillar bed it then re-polish it, play around with the trigger or replace it, scope it and I'd then be happy.

Last Edited:
Savage MK-II and option it out with Lyman Irons and Boyds Stock and your right on your budget with an awesome rim fire rifle that will shoot circles around many mentioned here, and as it's based on the Anchutz Mod 64, you have even more potential!

My wife and I both have savage mark-ll's we like a ton. Mine is the fv'sr. Dont remember her model but it has the bull barrel. We both put boyd stocks on them, bipods and vortex diamondback 4×12 scopes and they are tack drivers. I also installed a trigger kit on mine that's set at about 14oz's. So much fun. We play the battle ship target games at about 50yrds and can hit the edge of playing card at the same distance and split them. Here's a pic of mine. Ignore the other stuff in the photo, it's the only photo I have of it at the moment on my phone.

20180926_174637.jpg

Get a 17HMR bolt gun instead. You wont be disappointed. If not that, it truly depends on your use. For targets, the above mentioned precision rimfire from ruger is a great rifle. For varmints, the 17 is a beast for its size. But, for varmints the 10/22 is also a good choice. So, I guess bottom line is get a .17hmr. And if not, go RPR.

I didn't own a 22 lr bolt action. I do own several pumps and a couple of lever actions. 'Anyhoo, I bought a used 22 wmr Marlin model 25 with a 4x scope. Paid less than $100 at the auction block. My first WMR rifle and it is fantastic. My other best shooter is a Henry 22 lever action with a nice variable scope.

I'll ditto the Ruger American. I topped mine with a BSA Sweet 22-SF 3-9x40 and it just plain shoots. Mag compatibility with the 10/22 is a big plus.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top