JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
77/22 really feels like a grown up rifle. Short bolt throw is the only tactile difference, other than recoil of course.
Cz is also proper in weight and overall handling.
Marlins are a good option, tube or detachable mag versions offered over several decades. I've snagged a couple in pawnshops for $125/$150 over the years.
Rifle sights are my preference, but I would really like to try a ruger precision rimfire. That is scope only I believe.

tac,

Is your wife from one of those towns that have like 57 letters in its name? ;)

View attachment 800391

Alas, no. Her better half, as we say in Welsh 'fel arfur ein cyn dadau'*, was her father, but her mother was English. Mind you, she was born in a nursing home just inside the walls of Chester, and Chester abuts right onto Wales.

I lived in Gogledd Cymru - North Wales - as a child, with my grandparents. My taid [grandad] was a primary Welsh speaker and only used English when he had to do so. So I was immersed in Welsh, although my g'mother was mostly English - no Welsh at at all there. His family spoke no English day-to-day more than they had to, although his nephew, Iestyn, became a director of the North Wales Coal Board. He also had a lady raven living with him for well over twenty years. she flew off one day, the housekeeper told us, and didn't come back. Iestyn went to bed that night and never woke up.

Sbwci......

* 'In the manner of our forefathers'.

Hey tac, if you want to continue this, let's take it to PM. We're invoking some serious thread drift here.
FWIW, no Welsh in my family, as far as I know, but I do have ancestors that hailed from England.

I'm OK with carrying it on, although my genealogy skills are pretty rusty. My Irish family's records, along with most of everybody else's, went up in the flames of the Four Courts in 1922 when the anti-treaty crowd set fire to the buildings, destroying all of Ireland's censuses up until 1921. It is my wife, and friends in Port Orford, who do all my digging for me.

Last Edited:
If I was not going to put on a scope I would go with a red dot. That is because I am old and my eyes can not do well with irons sites any more and that is on pistols. With a rifle and the sites even farther apart I already know how sucky that would be for me. I got a Burris FF 3 and my eyes like it.

I know that would not give you that classic iron sites look but.... It could work. If your going for low cost then I can see where you might not want to spend what a quality red dot would cost. I was lucky and picked mine up at an estate sale where no one really knew what the gun stuff was worth so they just put on prices they thought were ok. That price was ok with me.

--------------------------------

Update: Just talked to every gun store in wenatchee and they all said the same thing, no deal on the CZ 455 it is no longer in production. These gun broker sellers are selling off new-old stock and those prices are never going to be available again after the stores burn through these available guns.

The CZ 457 is the new version and those are not available in the thumbhole stock and they are 500.00 retail.

So any one likes the CZ 455 with thumbhole stock here is your shot at getting a deal before these are all gone. Even used ones are going for more then this as people who paid 500 for one are not selling them much below the 450 range.

After the shipping and transfer fees and taxes. Figuring 380.00 as the base price plus the 9% tax plus shipping plus transfer fee your around 480.00 That sucks.

I did find - anacortes gun shop has these at 379.95 so you could save the 30 bucks shipping cost if you are withing driving distance. for me it is a 3 plus hr drive each way so shipping would be cheaper if they would keep it reasonable.

As for the Savage MARK II BTVS stainless thumbhole mentioned below, I did see one of those up close at my local gun store and was not happy with the build quality, ruff edges and bolt was just not that smooth, though it was stainless and was the thumbhole stock and it was certainly vary pretty and is currrently around 385.00.

Maybe I'm just too picky, I'm sure the Savage would shoot darn good. With me I'd take a dremil to the edges lap the bolt with some diamond lapping compound pillar bed it then re-polish it, play around with the trigger or replace it, scope it and I'd then be happy.
I just checked the link you attached and they show them back ordered from the manufacturer. Those requests won't be filled I don't beleve, since the 455 models aren't being made anymore.
Sorry, :(
Gabby

I'll say why I want one. Number one I have a kinda new 10/22 and its nickname is mr. jam-O-matic. Yes I know is is ether type of ammo or just needs 10k rounds to be properly broke in etc yata yata yata. I just don't enjoy shooting it.

I have had a few other semi auto .22 guns and one thing for sure, if they don't jam a ton they burn through ammo.

Oh.. here is another reason, loading 25 round BX mags sucks.

Bolt action solves most of that, I just don't mind shooting a bit slower specially if I don't have to clear a jam every 3 rounds and I get accuracy. Yes the 10/22 could potentially be more accurate and I do have a green mountain large diameter barrel for it. I kinds hesitate to put it on because it has the tighter match style chamber. Probably jam even more then the stock barrel. I am going to try putting on the barrel and do what I can to figure out mr. jam-O-matic's issues before I sell him.

Going to be teaching grand kids to shoot in a few yrs so any semi auto is out when it comes to family shooting sessions.

So those are MY reasons, though I am sure that question was for the OP.

Send that sucker to Ruger now!
I've owned several 10-22's over the years and NEVER had one that jammed!
Something is wrong there. :eek:
Gabby

I think every safe should have at least one 10/22 I got one with the open sights and TB . I also picked up a Tikka Tx1 and low and behold the Sako A7 bases fit perfectly I happened to have some laying around . This has a TB as well and wanted a scoped and non scoped suppressor host . The Tx is nice Sportmans had one before the feces hit the fan (covid) and could not be happier with it .

Answer is: the best you can afford.
I still kick my self over an savage/anschutz I bought for a hundred bucks at a pawn shop. " I ain't never sold a 22 for more than a hundred" even then they were well known for accuracy. It was a model 54 Sporter, french walnut (from france! She let me see her underpants!!) Rosewood tip and gripcap. High gloss finish, she was sexy. But sadly I needed the money, sold her for $400, It was 1978.

Here's one I found today

Answer is: the best you can afford.
I still kick my self over an savage/anschutz I bought for a hundred bucks at a pawn shop. " I ain't never sold a 22 for more than a hundred" even then they were well known for accuracy. It was a model 54 Sporter, french walnut (from france! She let me see her underpants!!) Rosewood tip and gripcap. High gloss finish, she was sexy. But sadly I needed the money, sold her for $400, It was 1978.

Here's one I found today

Man Coop, that was quick.
You posted that 2 minutes ago and RIA already cannot find a Savage Model 54. :s0001:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top