JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't posted on NWFA in forever but figured I'd give this one a go...

The guys who are recommending companies like BCM and DD have got it 100% right, the reasons to choose a top tier company have been beaten to death on this forum and others so I won't go over it all over again. Suffice it to say there's a reason to buy rifles from the left side of "the chart".

If you're really looking to learn about ARs the suggestion to check out M4Carbine.net is a good one, much better signal to noise ratio over there with lots of input from end users who actually run their guns hard. There is no shortage of folks that will tell you that their cheaper brand-X rifle is totally great and works fine, most of them however have never actually run them hard.

Maybe your del-ton or DPMS or rock river or bushy will run fine for thousands of rounds at a high tempo without cleaning or lube - maybe... (though I doubt it and no way I'd EVER trust my life to one), but I can pretty much guarantee a BCM, DD, Colt, LMT, Noveske or what have you WILL, consistently... Having run guns from both end of the spectrum doing everything from range day plinking to high round count classes I can definitively say that you get what you pay for and the "top tier" brands are most definitely worth it in the end.

For a price difference that is, perhaps, equal to a cheap case of ammo (a pittance if you plan on actually learning to use your rifle competently and to maintain that skill level) you can go with a system that based on the reviews of MANY skilled and experienced shooters will not let you down.

One good recommendation would be a BCM Midlength. Why? The " <broken link removed> " is a great example of why Bravo's products are among the best.

Figured I'd see what a new build would cost right now, lo and behold right in your price range:

BCM Standard 16" Midlength Upper reciever group + Bolt Carrier and Charging handle - $520

Magpul Mbus Rear sight - $55.05

Magpul midlength MOE handguards - $33.20

BCM Blemished (you wont be able to tell what the "blemish" is most likely) lower reciever from G&R ( <broken link removed> ) with MOE furniture - $346

That's a rock solid setup for $958 before shipping and the transfer fee for the lower... Just push the pins on the lower and you have a complete rifle. You will be hard pressed to find a better deal on a finer weapon.

Smargunner also has an AWESOME deal on custom DD uppers with rails <broken link removed>

Lightweight midlength upper WITH a rail for about $550, but you'd still need to add a BCG and BUIS which will put you a little over 1K along with the lower.

My two cents, your mileage may vary, etc. but take it from a guy who has tens of thousands of rounds downrange through the AR platform (or guys like Pat Rogers, Larry Vickers, Costa & Haley, etc...) - buy quality the first time around and you won't regret it.

Assuming you are after a fighting rifle, hands down a Bravo Company 5.56, 14.5" barrel with a mid-length gas system. Very reasonably priced, top notch piece of fire power.
Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.

Study this chart carefully and you'll see why BCM
<broken link removed>

Daniel Defense would be my next choice (I'd get their CHF barrel) and my first choice in a rail

2nding this.

Also SmartGunner.com has an awesome deal on DD uppers if you don't mind waiting a month for it to ship lol. Basically, quality equal to BCM with a free DD rail.

EDIT: oh... I got beat lol

Buy a Del-Ton or a M&P and the rest of the money can go towards ammo, mags and accessories.

I love LMT and Noveke too but the money you're going to spend versus a S&W M&P isn't going to get you anything for your use. So, with that being the case you're just spending money on the logo.

I'd also recommend Addax Tactical or Rainier Arms over BCM for the money.

Rainier Arms makes some really kick-*** accessories, their new XTC comp is pretty sweet. I have not used any of their ARs but they look pretty damn nice. Plus they are local (WA) which is cool.

I haven't used anything by Addax so I don't know anything about them.

Del-Tons are actually surprisingly decent for the money, shot peened bolt and individually MP inspected bolts and barrels. They don't do high pressure testing yet but they say it is in the works. You get a lot for your money with DTI, they are one of the best as far as budget ARs go. Their customer service is also top-notch.

That said, if the difference between getting a DTI and a DD/BCM is waiting 2 weeks for your next paycheck, well, I'd rather get the top-tier gun. Also if you're like me and are a huge nerd who wants to customize it your rifle a lot to your vision of a perfect AR-15, getting the budget gun isn't that much different in price in the end anyway because the DTIs and the like usually only come as stock m4geries. E.g., the one I'm building now will have a 14.5" pencil-profile mid-length gas system barrel and a low-profile gas block pinned to the barrel. For me, it may even be cheaper to get one from Daniel Defense where they will make it custom exactly to your specs from the factory rather than starting with a stock DTI M4 and upgrading.

Where did you get your 14.5" light weight middy? I have been waiting on BCM foreeeevvvvveeeeeerrrr.

Daniel Defense. I was going to go with BCM originally, but then I saw the smartgunner.com deal. They had what I wanted in stock and it ended up saving me over $200 since BCM does not offer (at this time anyway) a pencil barrel 14.5" middy with a low-pro gas block and 12.0 DD rail. Just gotta wait a month for it to ship LOL. Plus it comes with a CHF barrel which is... unnecessary imo but now I can be like all the cool kids. :cool: A little bit of bonus cheesy goodness I guess.

Word is they are taking a break on taking orders for January though to get caught up and get something set up so they can pin flash hiders to 14.5" uppers again, so you're out of luck for at least a month. :(

Dude I could be just lame but I’m not seeing any complete upper groups on SmartGunner. Am I missing something?

You're not.

Word is they are taking a break on taking orders for January though to get caught up and get something set up so they can pin flash hiders to 14.5" uppers again, so you're out of luck for at least a month. :(

This was posted on the 30th:
Shipping Time? - Page 2 - AR15.COM

SmartGunner said:
Tomorrow is the last day for orders at this pricing under this program!

We NOT be taking any additional orders after tomorrow midnight for custom uppers for the next few weeks. With our inability to effectively communicate and the backlog of orders currently in the system it does not benefit either us or Daniel Defense to continue to add to the problem.

We are going to take the month of January (at the very least until after SHOT) to revise the process and complete the existing orders as quickly as possible.

It is our hope that as part of the revamp we will again be able to offer pinning services among other custom options as well as a new offer around complete rifles.

And of course, we will be implementing a better line of communication with our customers to whom we are grateful and have been sorely mistreated.

Please take a moment to sign up for our mailing list if you have not already. We will be emailing as well as posting here when we have things ironed out.

Thank again to you all for your business and your patience.

More to come.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads