JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was at the range yesterday shooting test loads in my Creedmoor. Started with 144 gr. Berger Long Range Hybrid Target (who comes up with these names :confused:?) and VV N555, SD's were looking excellent across the entire range of charge weights, only one out of 10 was over 10, and 4 were under 5. But they shot like crap on the target! Was thinking it was me, then got to thinking about it and came to the conclusion that maybe it was short range instability, I've seen anecdotal info that suggests that the high BC bullets need time to "settle" in flight. Regardless, I was feeling a little let down, I don't consider myself a world class shooter, but I'm usually better than what I was seeing yesterday. Put a few through my new TC Compass .223, that was better, just a few of my reloads, but it's looking very promising, especially for a budget rifle. But then I switched back to the Creedmoor testing, this time with an odd bullet that I originally bought to try in my Grendel but never got around too. It's a Lapua 100 gr. FMJ, called a Cutting Edge due to a ring around the ogive that's supposed to make clean holes in targets like a wad cutter. Funny looking things compared to your typical Creedmoor bullets, looks more like some old mil-surp round nose load. Designed strictly as a short range target bullet, so not exactly a typical choice for the Creedmoor, but I won't always be shooting my Creedmoor at 1K yards, so why not give them a shot ;)? Glad I did, with a little more work, I think these will be pretty outstanding, I did a very limited run with these, but I had several 5 shot groups under a 1/2". Fast little buggers, too, velocities were in the low 3000's to almost 3200 FPS. Oddly enough, the best group had the highest velocity and SD, but I don't need the velocity in this case, so will focus on one of the lighter charge weights. All in all, a good day. The Creedmoor performed well, the new TC is looking like a real bargain, and my Labradar never missed a beat, either. So Happy New Year, everyone!

Dave

So I was at the range yesterday shooting test loads in my Creedmoor. Started with 144 gr. Berger Long Range Hybrid Target (who comes up with these names :confused:?) and VV N555, SD's were looking excellent across the entire range of charge weights, only one out of 10 was over 10, and 4 were under 5. But they shot like crap on the target! Was thinking it was me, then got to thinking about it and came to the conclusion that maybe it was short range instability, I've seen anecdotal info that suggests that the high BC bullets need time to "settle" in flight. Regardless, I was feeling a little let down, I don't consider myself a world class shooter, but I'm usually better than what I was seeing yesterday. Put a few through my new TC Compass .223, that was better, just a few of my reloads, but it's looking very promising, especially for a budget rifle. But then I switched back to the Creedmoor testing, this time with an odd bullet that I originally bought to try in my Grendel but never got around too. It's a Lapua 100 gr. FMJ, called a Cutting Edge due to a ring around the ogive that's supposed to make clean holes in targets like a wad cutter. Funny looking things compared to your typical Creedmoor bullets, looks more like some old mil-surp round nose load. Designed strictly as a short range target bullet, so not exactly a typical choice for the Creedmoor, but I won't always be shooting my Creedmoor at 1K yards, so why not give them a shot ;)? Glad I did, with a little more work, I think these will be pretty outstanding, I did a very limited run with these, but I had several 5 shot groups under a 1/2". Fast little buggers, too, velocities were in the low 3000's to almost 3200 FPS. Oddly enough, the best group had the highest velocity and SD, but I don't need the velocity in this case, so will focus on one of the lighter charge weights. All in all, a good day. The Creedmoor performed well, the new TC is looking like a real bargain, and my Labradar never missed a beat, either. So Happy New Year, everyone!

Dave
What's the twist rate on that 6.5?

I looked at those lab radars, I'm jealous and really want one. The price though:(

What's the twist rate on that 6.5?

OEM Savage barrel, so it should be 1:8, never seen anything else in a factory rifle in the 6.5 CM. You can get a 1:7.5 in a pre-fit though, and I guess almost anything goes in a custom, but that's definitely too rich for my blood!

Loving the Labradar, yeah, it's expensive, but it sure beats the hell out of the old light sensor chronos. If I was just shooting rifles, I might have gone for a MagnetoSpeed, but only might, this gives data for downrange velocities that you just can't get any other way. Plus no issue with POI shifts, and it plays well with handguns.

Jury's still out on these Bergers, next session I plan on testing at 200 yards vs. 100, see if that makes a difference. If not, I have other bullets to try, too, I'm not married to these Bergers :D. Later.

Dave

Many times the VLDs (especially Berger's) are sensitive to seating depth. May shoot like crap at one seating depth, but lights out at another. Might be something to try if you choose to pursue them.

I can definitely see the difference between 100gr vs 85gr bullets out of my 244 rem. I am proud of the groups from the 85's not so much from the 100's.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top