JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's probably already been said, but the muzzle blast out of a pcc is significantly less than a .223 chambering with short barrel.

I haven't shot a shortened .223 indoors without hearing protection, but I know I don't want to either.

What would also be nice is if some could make up something like 80% kits you could easily finish after you got your stamp. If I still had access to a Lathe making my own would be a snap but sadly no longer do. Be nice to be able to buy the parts that would not work until you got the stamp and could do some simple work at home to complete. One more thing to make snowflakes heads explode :D

Diversified machine.

Man just when I thought this thread couldn't get any more ridiculous, people start posting 50 grain 9mm bullcrap ammo.

JFC people its your life. I guess its up to you how you want to protect it, but FFS do some research (if you actually care/think you will ever need a gun to protect yourself)

For pistol ammo, use HST or similar quality

For a AR use good sealed ammo with a cannilure. Mk262 or similar, mk318, federal 223LE.

Jeeze.

For AKs in 7.62x39, soft points.

948E0483-CD32-47F0-8294-133870828F81.jpeg

So 50 grain at 2200fps huge HP 444 ft pds of energy is bad but 62 grain fmj at 3000 fps is awesome. That means your 556 won't work at 200 yards? Math adds up but doesn't make sense to me as the 9mm isn't going to pass thru at close range & the 556 will & any energy laft that passes thru doesn't count.

So 50 grain at 2200fps huge HP 444 ft pds of energy is bad but 62 grain fmj at 3000 fps is awesome. That means your 556 won't work at 200 yards? Math adds up but doesn't make sense to me as the 9mm isn't going to pass thru at close range & the 556 will & any energy laft that passes thru doesn't count.
As I predicted before I watched, your choice comes up short on penetration because it does not carry enough weight to start with. In 9mm I like gold dot 124 gr standard pressure and 147gr hst's. They both have proven track records. As far as 223/5.56 goes this is what I would use.

For the house I use a 10 rd mag fed Mossberg 590m shockwave & have a 20 rd mag in reserve. !4" barrel 26" overall. $292/shipped at Buds. Have a light & laser. Leave if off safe, breech open, mag out so it's thin lays by my chair covered up. just pick it up insert mag close the action & ready to go. I know a mfg that can cut it back to 7.5" with a fold out ftont grip on the left side, put a pistol grip on rear & register as an AOW for a $5 stamp as long as he does it as the tube is empty so an easy job. These are great if you have kids & secure the mag. Just like crazy uncle joe said "shoot 2 rounds of 12 ga thru the door" & I have 28 spares left :)
1586466938778.png

Osprey, your using a barrel almost 3x as long with much more muzzle flip, fire, etc & 14" will go thru most perps so as I said wasted energy, I bear hunted with a hot 45/70 or 450 Marlin pistol & got 100% energy dump so you lose.

I love the caliber, it is offered in a multitude of platforms, cheap to shoot, accurate and most people can handle the recoil easily. But a decisive stopper round it is not. I see many threads here touting these pcc's and ar pistol builds for hd , truck guns and such. I get it if that is all you have available but at home or even in a vehicle, if you have the ability to have a larger platform than the typical auto pistol, why choose 9mm? I will give you the mag commonality argument and these platforms allowing for better accuracy but it is still a pistol round with limited lethality. I think the better choice for serious work would be a shotgun or sbr/pistol ar in 5.56 or 300blk or My choice 7.62x39. Of course a sbr/pistol AK would be great also. Let me have it, am I thinking wrong?
One distinct advantage I can think of is shot placement. No matter how much I practice with a 9mm handgun, I can never put shots on target as accurately as I can with a "PCC" type gun unless we're talking within 10 yards. Any round is going to be a show stopper if you can put the shot exactly where you want it so lethality becomes less of a question. No it's not going to take a guy out of the picture if you hit him in the shoulder or arm.

The question then comes down to what type of round you use and how effective it is. I personally don't understand long barreled PCCs though.. To me the advantage is in the compactness and long barrel kind of destroys that advantage. I have a build with a 5" barrel and most popular PCCs seem to be built around short barrels. Most of them also are built around larger capacity, 30rds+ magazines. If you can run it suppressed, even better. Lightweight, compact, accurate, high capacity and quiet.

:s0054:

This thread....

We are not talking about a 9mm pistol vs a 9mm PCC, we are talking about a 5.56/300blk/7.62 carbine/SBR/pistol vs a PCC

"Shot placement" always matters, but you get some leeway with a rifle round, that you won't get with a pistol round. Especially with ammo like mk262 that will fragment into a few pieces that all reach the desired depth.

Anyone saying they can shoot a blowback PCC faster/accurate than a 5.56....you need to shoot a properly built AR.....

I can shoot my AK pistol pretty quick and get shots where they need to be.

I can do the same with a 9mm pcc. But my concern is less two legged critters and more the four legged ones. If I gotta crap in the woods, I want a slightly better chance.

This thread....

We are not talking about a 9mm pistol vs a 9mm PCC, we are talking about a 5.56/300blk/7.62 carbine/SBR/pistol vs a PCC

"Shot placement" always matters, but you get some leeway with a rifle round, that you won't get with a pistol round. Especially with ammo like mk262 that will fragment into a few pieces that all reach the desired depth.

Anyone saying they can shoot a blowback PCC faster/accurate than a 5.56....you need to shoot a properly built AR.....

Have you shot all blowback PCC's? I use the term loosely because theres a lot of "pistols" included in the category that within their range shoot as fast and as accurately as traditional 5.56 AR's. I dont see anyone faulting Stribogs or B&T's for their slow rate of fire or accuracy within what a 9mm is capable of. You are never going to shoot anyone at 100 yards and avoid jail time so anything over 20 yards is just bragging rights..

This thread....

Clearly you have never bump fired my MPA defender. I can hold that stupid thing in a 6 inch circle at 50 yards and dump a 56 round mag in a couple seconds. Note. I would not want to use that on an attacker. The cops would wonder why there were 20 someodd bullets in him. Yes, I can take single shots with it well, but its propensity to bump a burst makes it a might questionable for home defense. For some strange reason that heavy awkward beast stays on target.

I have a beretta cx4 suppressed and I would far prefer to use that over an ar

The next person that posts that is getting a 7 day ban on general principle.
I use that story with new shooters to impress the idea that any bullet can kill and that you own your shots. Not that you should go hunting grizzlys with a .22, but that a .22lr is not a toy or harmless.

Far as I could tell, the 85 supposedly interchanges with 89 mags up to a certain serial number range. :rolleyes: but again, I've not picked up a P series mag that didn't fit...

It might be easier to 3d print or find a way to make a specific mag well block that fits the P85-P89 mags to the newer PC9 series?

Edit, or 3d print/machine a mix of original PC9 and new PC9 magazine/trigger guard area?

The new Rugers are easy to see made to be adaptable. The bolt sure looks like they may offer more calibers later and the mag holder is easy to see made with the idea of being able to use others too but, no idea what would be involved in making one. If I still had a Mill it could test the idea in minutes as cutting a new catch would be super simple. Even with a dremmel or such looks like it would be very simple. Since I have a box of after market one I need to to give it a try and see what happens. If I screw up one of the old cheapo ones I will not care. They fit the mag block perfectly.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews