JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After 5 years, 9 months and a whole lot of money my Randall Confederate Bowie has arrived. It was supposed to have arrived 6/8, but I guess they felt it needed to soak for a couple days before they would release it to me today 6/13. So I got it today, rusted, in a crushed, wet box. Check out the pictures.
Note the rust having bled through the tissue
Don't know if you can make out the mildew on the cardboard of the box. But look what those bubblegums allowed to happen to my blade.
I went down to the parcel center where the deaf clerk could not understand me so I had to write a note asking for a supervisor. She then says that they've all gone home try back tomorrow
I called Randall but it was after 6pm there and they were closed. So I sent them an email with pictures and hopefully they will respond tomorrow, bur eff it I'm calling them anyway.
The post office demonstrates again their strong adherence to, and leadership in the 3 I's of government:
Inefficiency
Incompetence
Indifference
Well done and thank you, United States Postal Service

1000000502.jpg 1000000503.jpg 1000000496.jpg

That's a long time for a knife, then to have it arrive like that......damn. For a "whole lot of money" I would expect it wrapped in something better than tissue and a cardboard box.

Its insured, but I'm nervous about how long it will take for the post office to admit they screwed up and pay AND how long it might take Randall to come up with another knife. In my perfect world, Randall starts making another Bowie to my specs right after they see the photos tomorrow morning. Reality is probably nowhere near that. and I really don't want to wait another 70 months (Yep, as in 5 years 9 1/2 months). I'm getting up there in years to want to wait oji.gif

Maybe they can rehab that knife for your use at least until you get the new replacement. Seems fair......5 years and 9 months?.....You're more pig headed than I am....which is saying something. You may consider that a compliment.

"Sorry for your loss."

That is a long time to wait for a knife, which makes the situation that much more aggravating.

If filing an insurance claim with the PO is the method of resolution, the pictures you have provided are pretty graphic. Do not dispose of any packaging or wrapping materials. I don't know how much money is involved with your knife, and I don't know if dollar value is an issue in speed of claim resolution. But I've filed a damage claim within the past few years and it was taken care of quickly. I was fortunate; one such claim out of about 4,000 packages mailed. The claim process these days is done online, it's not all that burdensome.

In the world of reproduction antique furniture, that look is called "distressed."

It cost $885.00 That was the 2017 price. It was going to be a display piece A good friend who passed a year ago had a set of 3 Randalls, all made by Bo himself. Smithsonian Bowie, Confederate Bowie and Arkansas Toothpick all with brass features and ivory grips. I thought they made a great display and thoought I'd do something similar but on a smaller scale with just the one Bowie. Well, I can't get ivory so I went with Ivorite but otherwise the same look as the others. I was going to put it in a case and hang it on the wall. Nowadays it would be a nice reminder of a good friend. Of course, if he was a really good friend he would have given me the Randall set but oh well...

Damn, I don't know if that's just crappy packaging or the post had a day!

I worked at UPS, during college years, stuff was always broken and being actively broke by employees all the damn time. I know tech has replaced some parts of logistics these days, but tech likely hasn't completely gotten rid of all the humans! Those humans, man do they really suck at delivering packages!

I will say, that it's kind of also on the knife maker. Should have been packaged way better. Not to be offensive, but I've seen $15 Chinese knives packaged and shipped better!

Was your package caught in the hurricane that flooded the USPS in I think Georgia around that time? That would take a very long time to go through and sort that mess out.

Was your package caught in the hurricane that flooded the USPS in I think Georgia around that time? That would take a very long time to go through and sort that mess out.
Good question. Randall Made
Knives is in Florida so it definitely could have passed through there. It shipped 6/6 so…
I don't know.

Good question. Randall Made
Knives is in Florida so it definitely could have passed through there. It shipped 6/6 so…
I don't know.
Just a thought. I had a package stuck in that mess, still missing. I can't remember the exact time or place but just recalled it being a big deal a long time ago.

I'm still trying to figure out if it took over 5-yrs to fill the order on the custom knife, or if the USPS took over 5-yrs to deliver it…..
It must be five years to fill the order. If the Postal Circus had had five years with it they would have done much worse than that. That was all they could accomplish with the limited time frame.

I'm still trying to figure out if it took over 5-yrs to fill the order on the custom knife, or if the USPS took over 5-yrs to deliver it…..
The first Randall I ordered from them directly in 1995 took 6 months or so IIRC, it's just taken longer and longer as time passed. Lots of people order, do the wait and then flip the knife on e-bay for twice or more than what they paid originally. Folks will pay a big premium to not have to wait 5 years or longer for a Randall.

The first Randall I ordered from them directly in 1995 took 6 months or so IIRC, it's just taken longer and longer as time passed. Lots of people order, do the wait and then flip the knife on e-bay for twice or more than what they paid originally. Folks will pay a big premium to not have to wait 5 years or longer for a Randall.
Not that is helps with this, but have you checked out the Randall groups on Facebook? There are a couple dealers that always have knives on order, and sell them for catalog price. I have bought both of mine from Buck, in NC. of course, buying one of their knives, you can't pick your options. If you order through them, they are about a year wait, instead of the 5+ year factory lead time.

The USPS really are the biggest morons. I bought a gen 5 Glock 26 last month and they sent it to my FFL's PO Box address. They of course figured out their mistake, that you can't leave a gun inside of a PO Box....and then took it back to the shipping depot it came from, which he then had to drive to and get it. All while notifying me and not the FFL.

They're just morons. Good luck on getting this resolved. Would not want this to happen to me. I'd be apocalyptically angry.

Not that is helps with this, but have you checked out the Randall groups on Facebook? There are a couple dealers that always have knives on order, and sell them for catalog price. I have bought both of mine from Buck, in NC. of course, buying one of their knives, you can't pick your options. If you order through them, they are about a year wait, instead of the 5+ year factory lead time.
I've done that before but this one was a special order.

So, per USPS, Randall shipped it so they have to pursue the issue.
Randall is sending me a shipping label to send it back and they will repair the damage, or worst case, replace it

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews