JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well Its been a while since I posted here, For the last few years I have had a lot on my plate. Finally able to think about playing with some toys, buying and selling a few things. I put up a good pile of .22 LR a good long time ago. I have not been buying any ammo for years so I really did not have a clue what it was really going for ( I have heard tails of it being hard to come by and pricy but that's it) I have more than I will probably ever shoot so I figured what the heck, Now is probably the time to cut loose with some. Most money I'll probably ever get for it and maybe help a few guys plink. So I started searching old threads regarding .22 LR and the shortage. Real fast it became apparent that the consensus is its the hoarders fault, That folks that are selling it for the going rate (about $.15-$.20/rd it seems online) are a bunch of evil price gouging bastards who all should be spit on if sighted. So why should I sell it at $.03/rd? I mean if the going price is $.15, I cant replace it for any less. The only motivation to sell any in the first place is the elevated price. The truth is that its the high price that will balance supply. When the price gets high enough people will sell/and or stop buying. That is the way supply and demand works. Lack of supply, price goes up till it meets demand. As soon as the the price is too high a glut of supply will develop and the price will crash. Anyone who doubts this only has to look at the AR market. You cant hardly give away a generic AR these days. I could have sold a few at $1750 that today wont bring $700. So am I a hero or an idiot because I didnt take the big money when it was being thrown around during the panic? Anyway I put the ammo back on the shelf. Back when I bought all the .22 the pile probably cost $900, At today's prices it could be worth as much as $8000 if sold by the box. I dont need the money, Maybe if it gets to $.25/rd I'll be the evil bastard will the .22 for sale.

One of the hardest things for people to understand when it comes to pricing is the replacement cost. It doesn't matter one whit what you paid for it. The only thing that matters is what it costs to replace it. If you bought high, too bad. What does it cost to replace? If you bought low, good for you-you win the arbitrage game.

If you have enough that you need not replace, by all means sell it at a current replacement cost. You were smart to prepare ahead and this is your reward. Nobody would complain that you should sell your grandmother's AT&T stock at the $2 she paid for it.

I tried to be a good guy and sell 5,000 rds of quality .22 ammo for a very fair price, and the dirt bag that lied to me about how he was going to parcel it out to his extended family had it listed on the same forum 1 hour later for more then double what I let it go for.
My advice, sell it in small increments to different folks, that way you can parcel it out to people that need it, not to a gouger that will flip it.
Rant over, thanks and good luck.

Last Edited:
I am serious about putting it back on the shelf. I'm out nothing if I don't sell it. Id probably be willing to do some trading if I was getting the better end of the deal (IMHO) but of course that's always the case.

Then don't sell it. There are those of us that would buy some just for our own plinking pleasure or to take our kids out. But its up to you.

I say sell it and make a buck...

I shoot the hell out of my .22's; there's never enough around so I spend half my time searching for a reasonable price and quantity, which just pisses me off half the time.

I say sell it and make a buck...

I shoot the hell out of my .22's; there's never enough around so I spend half my time searching for a reasonable price and quantity, which just pisses me off half the time.

Agreed.

So what is a "fair" price? Ammoseek lists prices for basic stuff from $.10 to over $.30 per round. It seems like $60/brick plus shipping is about what you have to spend to buy it online.

Fair would be $25.00 a brick. Anything over that, then you should place your ad on Armslist, because you won't
make any friends here, since you already stated that you bought it years ago for cheap.

I paid $45 for a box of 333 while at an Appleseed with my daughter and was exceptionally glad to pay it as it meant my daughter and I could keep shooting. "Fair" is subjective. When looking for a deal when I'm not desperate, I look for $.06/round.

And again, what you paid for it is irrelevant. Nobody would expect you to sell your house for what you paid for it 50 years ago. And for some reason people love to hate anyone who makes a profit. Regardless, you might have better luck on armslist, as it'll reach a bigger audience.

Im not out to make friends by selling ammo. I do find it strange though that all of a sudden you become a bastard because you had some .22 LR on a shelf. Maybe I should sell my few gold 1 Oz coins for $250 while I am at it, That will surely make me some "friends".:) I'll just keep it. It was disappointing though to find out so few of my fellow shooters had any concept of simple economic theory and more so that they are petty enough to think they are somehow above the laws of supply and demand. Maybe I get it because I have to buy and sell things in the real world that fluctuate price do to supply constraints. Scrap iron a few years ago was up to $420/ton when supply was tight, now demand is down and your lucky to get $140/ton. Maybe I'll round up a few real friends and just go burn up the case I thought I might let go. Sounds like a heck of a lot more fun anyway. (and as a bonus a bunch of angry people from the internet who I will most likely never meet wont hate me for having the forethought to stack a little ammo when it was cheap)

Sell it - don't sell it - it's your choice.

But if you do sell it for inflated prices (e.g., more than what you can buy it for at Walmart or Bimart), then don't be surprised if you get called a scalper.

I have some too, but I didn't buy it to sell at higher prices - I bought it to shoot.

There's an idea - go out and shoot!

What a concept! :eek:

Has someone discriminated against you or accused you of something?

It sounds like your taking this unhappiness people legitimately have about the lack of and price of .22lr personally.

Good for you that you had the forethought and finances to buy a bunch when it was cheap. No one has accused you of being a hoarder or gouger, you opened the thread with that stuff...

You can be my friend if you want, I'm easy to get along with. And you don't have to share your 22s if you don't want to.

Cheers,

Joe

Hey Joe, I appreciate that.
There does not seem to be any shortage of ammo to buy, If your willing to pay $.20/round I am sure you can buy all you want. The post simply is my lack of sympathy and understanding for those who are mad at those who have ammo. I understand people are frustrated and irritated but it seems to me that hating a person because they where lucky enough to find or smart enough to stack a bit of .22 is silly. I guess I should not be surprised. Ive seen it time and time again over the years with all kinds of different items that turned hard to get. The intent of the post was to poke a little good humored fun at those angry folks. I have not bought or sold anything so no, no one has discriminated against me. It seems like maybe I found a good thing to do with the stuff anyway. I did go to Armslist to see what was going on there and stumbled across a youth shooting league who needed practice ammo. Seems like as good of thing to do with it as any so I'll be going to meet with them today.

I am sure most of you guys are sick to death of the .22 shortage and rants and raves about it. Its all new for me though as I just simply have not been active in either the forum or shooting community for the last several years.

Last Edited:
You "Don't need the money" or it wouldn't really be enough money to change your world and cant replace it for what you paid for it.(?).....

Simple, KEEP IT.

Welcome to the party as lots of people here are in that same boat.

I really had no intention of selling more than about 25% of what I had. I dug around and have 6250 rds of 40gr lead round nose (the cheapest of the cheap) which is what the youth league wants as practice ammo. It sounds like I can trade it to them for something that might do me some good so its a win win.

I probably should have just kept my mouth shut, I knew from the start this was a pointless complaint and don't know why I felt compelled to poke a hornets next. Anyway I am glade to have the new found ability and time to shoot and so expect I will be spending more time on this forum. Last thing I really need is to start off by alienating or irritating folks which is all this post is really good for so I'll get off my high horse and play nice.

I am not mad at people who have ammo - that would make me mad at myself.

I am not even mad at people who take advantage of the situation - i.e., scalpers - I just think they are anal orifices and fecal craniums for doing that and perpetuating the situation. I also wish they would just stop doing it.

But I am not mad at them - I don't think about them until they post a 500 round brick here for sale for $50 and even then I usually don't post anything in their for sale thread as that would not be good form. If someone posts another thread about the issue, then I will share what I think of them - but I am still not mad at them - it would be a waste of time and effort.

If you have plenty of ammo you bought at reasonable prices and you are not taking advantage of the situation then I think you were wise and possibly an okay person (I don't know you from Adam).

Otherwise, if the shoe fits...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top