JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey y'all, relatively new to firearms, have owned a Ruger P95 for a couple of years and recently purchased a Walther PPK.

Signed up for discussion, learning, ogling gun photos.

Attached is my most recent acquisition.

IMG_20170102_123646_620.jpg

Thanks fellas. It does have some pitting here and there I want to clean up, but I've never dealt with that before so I'm hoping to pick up some knowledge from folks here who have.

A product called Kroil, which is made by Kano Labs works great for rust removal, but any pitting in the metal is there to stay. Best to just keep it lightly oiled and in a dry place.
I really like those PPK's.

A product called Kroil, which is made by Kano Labs works great for rust removal, but any pitting in the metal is there to stay. Best to just keep it lightly oiled and in a dry place.
I really like those PPK's.

These are like little raised bumps in certain spots, like gun acne or something. It's a shame because it appears as if the gun has been fired maybe 10 times. The ramp needs a little polishing but the internals basically look new.

I think a lot of these were stored in leather holsters and the tanning salts or other chemicals leach onto the metal. That's my best guess anyway.

You can buy Kroil products at Tacoma Screw on NE Columbia Blvd and I've also heard that Cabelas sells it.
I would take a small cleaning patch, place it over one of the affected areas, apply some Kroil and let it soak that area overnight inside a ziplock baggie.
I would then lightly rub in a circular motion while using a small bronze or brass brush, all the while flooding the area with WD-40 (Kroil is to expensive to waste) to help lift the iron oxide away from the blued surface, as iron oxide is very abrasive and can scratch the surrounding area.

Here is another process from an "Old Timer.";)
Brake fluid works good as a penetrating oil for loosening rust and corrosion. o_O
After soaking parts overnight, tap the area lightly with a 1 oz ball peen hammer to loosen and break up the rust crystals. :confused:
Then, rub lightly with a brass brush or a stiff tooth brush.;)
This process will help retain the original finish.:)

* I hope it's not painted !

Last Edited:
Cool gun. Now about the welding: What type of welding are you wanting to do? Mig, tig, nuclear subs, shop welding, pipe welding, ship welding?
Thanks! In the welding technology associates degree program I'm in I have tackled FCAW, GMAW, SMAW, and am this week beginning GTAW mild steel and stainless. I'll tackle aluminum and alloy next term... I'm still experiencing the lingering effects of a couple of evenly spaced motorcycle wrecks, so until physical therapy/surgery can have me in a more flexible and less constantly painful state, I'm going to focus on finding a job shop welding and fabrication/machining in TIG stainless steel. Ideally I will get good enough to maybe work towards aerospace contracts with Boeing or NASA welding flight bound alloy structures. Of course I know a term and a half of TIG time is not going to land me the dream job of a DoD funded contract job, but it's a goal!

Cool man. I hope you heal up fully and attain your dreams in the welding field. I'm a 3rd. generation welder and it has treated my family very well. My grandfather used to say, "A good welder will always be able to find a good job". He's been pretty spot on about that too. I do a lot of outside work, mainly in the shipyards. The yard is shut down today because of the weather, thus the reason I'm typing right now. :D

Thanks! In the welding technology associates degree program I'm in I have tackled FCAW, GMAW, SMAW, and am this week beginning GTAW mild steel and stainless. I'll tackle aluminum and alloy next term... I'm still experiencing the lingering effects of a couple of evenly spaced motorcycle wrecks, so until physical therapy/surgery can have me in a more flexible and less constantly painful state, I'm going to focus on finding a job shop welding and fabrication/machining in TIG stainless steel. Ideally I will get good enough to maybe work towards aerospace contracts with Boeing or NASA welding flight bound alloy structures. Of course I know a term and a half of TIG time is not going to land me the dream job of a DoD funded contract job, but it's a goal!

You at Rock Creek PCC? If so, I know some of the staff over there and they are awesome. Good program.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top