Welding student in PDX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tortoise, Jan 8, 2017.

1. tortoise

tortoise
    PDX

@bsa1917hunter That was my mentality when I decided to go to school. I'm a decent chef, excellent baker, decent bicycle mechanic, but none of that stuff appeals to me as a career or pays livable wages. It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to do, but the constructive and lasting result of fabrication and welding really feel great to me. And I could get a job in any town in America if I needed to. Hoping my medical ailments are fixable, thanks.

Do you work at Vigor? That's where the school site/shop I attend classes at is. Today was supposed to be the first day of the term but PCC says it's too crappy for school.

2. tortoise

tortoise
    PDX

@cpy911 I'm on Swan Island, a much more convenient location considering where I Iive and that I didn't have a working vehicle for the first half of the program. Say what you will about Trimet, but the 72 line picks up a block from my house and if I'm lucky, drops off at the Vigor back gate. I'll never work for them again, though.

3. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

I work at Zidell. I'm also a certified crane operator and supervisor. My best advice is learn as much as you can, get as many certs and credentials. When you work at a shop, you'll be the last one they get rid of when they go to the normal skeleton crews. Machining, fabrication and multiple forms/processes of welding will ensure a good future...

tortoise likes this.
  4. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

I may have also helped train your instructor if his name is Kane...;)

tortoise likes this.
  5. tortoise

tortoise
    PDX

LOL PLEASE give me some Kane dirt so I can give him *edit* crap when I go back in tomorrow!

6. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

Ha ha. I have nothing but good to say about Kane. He's a good man... Ask him about working on the forward rakes with a big indian guy at Zidell....I've posted some of these pics before, but here's a rake him and I worked on:

0505111342.jpg
    0505111342a.jpg
    0505111342c.jpg
    021.jpg
    0106111415.jpg

Learn as much as you can from Kane. He knows his stuff. I miss working with him on these barges. I also wish other guys were as receptive and as willing to learn as he was....

tortoise likes this.
  7. tortoise

tortoise
    PDX

Those are great shots and it's always rad to see actual production work done by someone you know. I'll definitely holler at him about you when I go in tomorrow.

Kane is actually super cool, he's a great instructor, hampered primarily by how popular our program has become and the fact that they just nixed day classes. Sometimes his demos are frustrating, but mainly because he makes what he does look effortless.

bsa1917hunter likes this.
  8. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

You are lucky to have an instructor like Kane. He's just preparing you for the azzes like me you'll have to deal with out in the real world. Kane's a real bad azz when it comes to putting barges together. After you crawl through a rake of a barge and put one together, you'll see why he makes it (class work) look so simple. When Kane was working with me, it was just him, me and another guy. We shaved 1000 man hours off the previous time for getting the rake built. The other guy was a beast, benching 468 pounds, but was afraid to go out on the long lanyard (see picture above) with the safety harness. Didn't bother Kane a bit. I don't think anything slowed that guy down... When you see Kane, tell him Lawrence said hi....

tortoise likes this.
  9. fredball

fredball
    Vancouver, WA

Welcome Aboard:s0101:

tortoise likes this.
  10. HuckleberryFun

HuckleberryFun
    Portland, OR.
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

:s0101:
    Ditto. I enjoyed reading your exchange. Welcome!

tortoise likes this.
  11. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

tortoise seems like a cool dude. I also welcome him aboard. This is a great forum with great members. I think he'll fit right in...

tortoise likes this.
  12. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon

I could have use some professional advise when I tried to teach myself to stick weld.
    My first project was a hitch receiver for my '55 Willys pick up and after watching it break in half after falling off the work bench, I knew right then that I had a lot to learn.

tortoise and bsa1917hunter like this.
  13. tortoise

tortoise
    PDX

Well shucks, y'all are making me blush. I'm just a dude trying to carve my place in life, learning, and doing what I love. I do so appreciate the warm welcome. I look forward to great conversations and tapping all the knowledge everyone has to offer.

I'm no professional yet, but the motto in the shop is "turn up your machine and slow down!" It's not always applicable, but it's almost an in joke at this point when noobies get confused. You can learn a lot from YouTube videos, but nothing beats having someone with experience there to show you how it's done. After that, it's just repetition until you're covered in burns, half blind, and 10 lbs lighter from sweating. Eventually it just clicks.

14. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon

I started welding way before You Tube videos.
    My first mistake was when I didn't read the owners manual that came with my new Lincoln stick welder.
    The first page was about safety and when I read about always wear hearing protection when welding upside down, I tossed the manual onto the bench and laughed thinking that it can't get any louder then right side up welding.
    Boy, did I get the meaning of that message real quick two minutes later while welding under my truck.

etrain16 and tortoise like this.
  15. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

As an apprentice electrician, I was working with a JW and we were welding a bunch of metal gutterways onto metal railings for lighting cables in the Rose Garden (up at the top on the catwalks). At one point, he had to lay down to weld underneath the gutter. My job was to prep/clean/grind the surfaces ahead of him doing the welding. I had all that done and he slid underneath to do his work. Now, I hadn't had my welding classes yet, so I didn't know about the hearing protection rule either - but quickly learned from him, because he didn't put any on. A big piece of slag dropped in his ear, and went in deep - ended up burning a hole in his eardrum! He was in a lot of pain, and there was nothing I could do. He was back to work the next day, and made sure I understood how stupid it was of him to not put anything in his ears to protect them. I've never forgotten that lesson.

bsa1917hunter and tortoise like this.
  16. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

Tortoise, I like your avatar. Target looks great. I guess that extra steadiness you have being a welder helps to shoot those tiny groups...;). We need to start talking rifles man. Do you hunt???

tortoise likes this.
  17. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

That's an excellent piece of advice right there. It's happened to me many times. Glad I had my ear plugs in. It's still an eerie feeling and sound (like sizzling bacon). Another piece of advice: If you have long hair, cut it!!!!!!!! My grandpa always warned me, and one day (back in 1995) when I was in a tight corner of a barge welding overhead I caught my hair on fire. That brings up another good point. DON'T use shampoo with a strong alcohol content. I believe at the time I was using pert plus 2 and poof- the end of my long hair days.... My grandfather was right!!!!!

tortoise and etrain16 like this.
  18. MarkAd

MarkAd
    Port Orchard

You did not have your amps set high enough and your speed was probably to fast to properly fuse the metals. but without seeing it live or video it is hard to say for sure.

tortoise likes this.
  19. MarkAd

MarkAd
    Port Orchard

I do yea one better. Never lay a lite torch across you lap. I was doing gas weld practice laided LIT torch over my lap. I let go to adjust my work piece the touch rolled and flame shot past my face and burned my hair before I could stop it. I never did that again.

20. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon

Most of the time I was using the wrong welding rod or didn't properly prep the metal.
    You name it, I did it wrong.
    I found an older MillerMatic 35 on CL and my neighbor set it all up for me.
    I really like that old workhorse and coupled with a self darkening helmet, I get the job done.