JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The video below was put out by Joerg Sprave, who some of you may know from his YouTube channel "The Slingshot Channel". He's known around the world for his unique slingshot type creations, as well as his very jovial demeanor. I was a regular on his Slingshot Channel Forum for a couple of years.

Even on the Slingshot forum, the discussion of guns around the world would come up. Joerg addressed the laws in Germany several times on the forum and others from around the world would weigh in on their local laws. It looks like Joerg decided to just put all the answers in one place and so he just posted a video on Germany's gun laws as well as laws on other items such as air guns, tear gas guns, knives and bows.

It's an interesting look at the laws in Germany. @tac has been good about informing us on the laws in the U.K., but it's good to know what other country's laws are as well, if for no other reason than to remind us what it's like when you don't have the protection of a document like the Bill of Rights.

He covers it pretty well, but I don't see that he addressed the issue of using a gun in your home for self defense. I'm guessing that may be a no no. If you don't want to sit through the video, here is a general summary. Guns generally are legal, including rifles, shotguns and pistols, but have the following requirements:

* Permits to carry in public are pretty much impossible to get unless your job requires it
* You must have a license to buy guns - each license allows you to buy up to 8 guns - but you can get multiple licenses. There doesn't appear to be a limit on how many you can own.
* You must be able to give a 'reason' to buy a gun - such as hunting or sport such as competition. I am guessing that 'self defense' is not an acceptable reason.
* You are required to be a member of a hunting club or shooting range
* You have to have some kind of training, possibly testing, though he didn't elaborate well on that
* You can't shoot anywhere but at a designated range, or hunting area - no shooting on private property or public lands (save for hunting)
* You are required to securely store your guns at home - looks like a safe is mandatory
* High energy air guns (anything above 7 joules) are regulated the same as firearms
* No mention is made about reloading, though I would expect competition shooters and hunters probably do reload at home.

Here is the full video - he addresses guns first, so you can just watch the first part if interested:

This just serves to remind me how thankful I am to live in the United States and to have the still relatively free access to guns as well as the protection of the 2nd amendment. In the video, Joerg states that he thinks that the restrictive laws in Germany are reasonable in his mind. I'm guessing if that's all you've known and been taught, you'd probably feel the same way. But from the perspective of an American, I see the laws in Germany as far too restrictive. I guess it's good I don't live there ;)

The video below was put out by Joerg Sprave, who some of you may know from his YouTube channel "The Slingshot Channel". He's known around the world for his unique slingshot type creations, as well as his very jovial demeanor. I was a regular on his Slingshot Channel Forum for a couple of years.

Even on the Slingshot forum, the discussion of guns around the world would come up. Joerg addressed the laws in Germany several times on the forum and others from around the world would weigh in on their local laws. It looks like Joerg decided to just put all the answers in one place and so he just posted a video on Germany's gun laws as well as laws on other items such as air guns, tear gas guns, knives and bows.

It's an interesting look at the laws in Germany. @tac has been good about informing us on the laws in the U.K., but it's good to know what other country's laws are as well, if for no other reason than to remind us what it's like when you don't have the protection of a document like the Bill of Rights.

He covers it pretty well, but I don't see that he addressed the issue of using a gun in your home for self defense. I'm guessing that may be a no no. If you don't want to sit through the video, here is a general summary. Guns generally are legal, including rifles, shotguns and pistols, but have the following requirements:

* Permits to carry in public are pretty much impossible to get unless your job requires it
* You must have a license to buy guns - each license allows you to buy up to 8 guns - but you can get multiple licenses. There doesn't appear to be a limit on how many you can own.
* You must be able to give a 'reason' to buy a gun - such as hunting or sport such as competition. I am guessing that 'self defense' is not an acceptable reason.
* You are required to be a member of a hunting club or shooting range
* You have to have some kind of training, possibly testing, though he didn't elaborate well on that
* You can't shoot anywhere but at a designated range, or hunting area - no shooting on private property or public lands (save for hunting)
* You are required to securely store your guns at home - looks like a safe is mandatory
* High energy air guns (anything above 7 joules) are regulated the same as firearms
* No mention is made about reloading, though I would expect competition shooters and hunters probably do reload at home.

Here is the full video - he addresses guns first, so you can just watch the first part if interested:

This just serves to remind me how thankful I am to live in the United States and to have the still relatively free access to guns as well as the protection of the 2nd amendment. In the video, Joerg states that he thinks that the restrictive laws in Germany are reasonable in his mind. I'm guessing if that's all you've known and been taught, you'd probably feel the same way. But from the perspective of an American, I see the laws in Germany as far too restrictive. I guess it's good I don't live there ;)

Ha!

Just watched that a day or two ago:D.

That guy is very entertaining to me and has a great dr evil type laugh lol.

Was very enlightening to hear about the countries firearm laws.

Ha!

Just watched that a day or two ago:D.

That guy is very entertaining to me and has a great dr evil type laugh lol.

Was very enlightening to hear about the countries firearm laws.

Yes, Joerg is a very entertaining character. He actually moderates his own forum too, and weighs in on the discussions pretty regularly. I love his 'evil' laugh.

Just another note about German gun laws... they are not allowed to own ANY firearm that is in use by an official military force somewhere in the world.

I remember back in the 80's a German guy crying the blues that he couldn't get a Mini-14 because some PO-dunk African nation had adopted the Mini-14, so it was on the restricted list... as we were shooting our privately owned AR's, Berettas, and 1911's because we were under the Status of Forces agreement. As long as I had my U.S. Army issued plastic "firearms card" I could (and did) traipse all over the place in Germany (not open carrying of course!) with my private weapons.... LOL!

Just another note about German gun laws... they are not allowed to own ANY firearm that is in use by an official military force somewhere in the world.

I remember back in the 80's a German guy crying the blues that he couldn't get a Mini-14 because some PO-dunk African nation had adopted the Mini-14, so it was on the restricted list... as we were shooting our privately owned AR's, Berettas, and 1911's because we were under the Status of Forces agreement. As long as I had my U.S. Army issued plastic "firearms card" I could (and did) traipse all over the place in Germany (not open carrying of course!) with my private weapons.... LOL!

So what about the HK MP5 he pulls out at the beginning of the video? I thought that gun was still in use by police and military?

I believe "general issue" weapons to ANY official military were restricted, so no AR's, AK's, HK's (G-types), FAL's, etc.

In Germany, that's true. But in yUK, only prohibitated in 1988 after the Hungerford Massacre. I had TWO semi-auto AKs, A FAL [actually the military-issue License-built SLR], an M1 and an M1A and a H&K PSG-1.........................sigh.........................

tac

Turned in, cut up, melted down, and most likely turned into sporks.... :(

I was lucky - all of mine went to the more liberal and less-knee-jerking countries on mainland Yoorup. I use the term liberal here, not in the same sense as you understand it in the USA, but as we understand it in Yoorup. Here, 'liberal' means free-thinking, not 'whacko'.

tac

PS - I'm told that many were also turned into knoons. And FWIW - the princely sum of £150.00 was paid to each owner for each firearm. I thought about handing in my £6250.00 PSG-1 - for about 0.00000000000000001 of a second.

MMMM PSG-1 - had to hurt to let that one go.

IIRC for hunting in Germany you go with a game warden who tells you which animal you can take and you have zero say in the matter.

Thanks for the link on this, I'd forgotten about the Slingshot channel. Great stuff.

Somewhat related to this post, a German family gets Federal swat team at door for a holiday/party type "gun" that was used to try and get "refugees" to back off after a fight with her son.

Point being, this is what happens when you compromise with tyrants who want to disarm you. The gun grabbers here in the USA/Northwest absolutely want to do this here.

Sounds pretty common for most countries that "like totally have guns and stuff." The privilege is limited under government regulation, and exercise is only permitted in government sanctioned locations for government sanctioned activities.

so if I read this correctly they can own defensive guns but not for self defense purposes....?

that doesnt make sense to me... he states the laws are reasonable but I see many flaws.... er, shall I say "loopholes" in that system.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top