JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yikes! Glad it wasn't worse, my whole arm was scarred with powder burns, they are just now finally fading to the point where they are hardly noticeable.

Man that's a crazy story. Its scary how things so simple can distort your expectations and catch you off guard. That's a serious pile of ash! At least you can make plenty of lye.

This is why we see forest fires from slash burning; no logging co. can afford to keep someone onsite 24/7 for months, along with a water truck.

The fire can go down into roots and pop up well away from the slash pile - neighbor had that happen to him, months after he burned a pile. Wind can also come along and turn smoldering twigs into a huge fire.

It is best to burn just before the rains come, or at their beginning. Even snow doesn't necessarily put out the burning fuel when it is protected by ash on top of it, but it can keep it from spreading.

Burning down homeless shelters again, even has his 20' clown pole. My hero! ❤️‍🔥:s0073:
That's a burn pit in Afghanistan. I was leaving that FOB after 6 months there and was reassigned to another one further out in Indian Country. The guy who ran the FOB's solid waste disposal and burn pits, Micheal, had become a very good friend of mine. He was kind enough to let me light the burn pile on my last day there. It's a ceremonial honor not granted to just anyone, as Michael was very protective of his domain... Michael is a big NY Jets fan, if you couldn't tell by his helmet...

Burn pit_02.jpg Burn pit_03.jpg Burn pit_13.jpg

Speaking of helmets, this guy, Josh, was Michael's assistant.
He was a real hella fun, kick-in-the-pants, guy, too.
These guys remain some of my better friends, 10 years later...

Burn pit_17.jpg Burn pit_18.jpg

Some of you have heard me mention Curtis, my bestest friend from AFG.
He was up to Maison Sobo for porterhouses last summer.
The four of us made one helluva team over there.
Here he is in the wild, caught in the headlights, as it were, in our shipping container of an office...

Curtis_Project Lead in Headlights look.jpg

Good times... Good times...

Last Edited:
The slash piles were timber trash left from a clear cut I had done about 6 years ago. The piles were as big as a house.

The next spring (late March) we started the fires on a foggy day while the area was still muddy from rains.

View attachment 1269377

We worked for three days tending the fires, I was watching them 24 hours a day. I slept in my truck in the clear cut for the first couple of days to make sure the fires did not spread. By the third day they were trying to spread, so I called a halt to the burning even though only half the piles were burned.

It took days until the fires burned down to the ground, but the fires didn't completely go out for months - they burned down into the ground. August & September there was still smoke occasionally, until the rains finally came.

For that full summer, until August, every morning I would get up at 5 AM and go pour water on any sign of smoke before I went to work, and then do the same after I came home from work.

One evening in late April, I was pouring some water on an ash pile that was smoking and a little bit burning around the edges, and stepped in a pile of ash that was deeper than I suspected - several feet deep - and I tripped and fell into the ash and was burned on the left side of my body, especially my arm which stupidly was bare. I still have faint scars from that - I expected them to be worse.

View attachment 1269389
So... you literally fell into a burnin' ring o fire?

So... you literally fell into a burnin' ring o fire?
I once literally fell into a burnin' ring o' fire...

Story Time... :)

When I was 18, I went on 4-day 50-mile solo backpack trip along the top of a mountain ridge in northern Virginia. First day and night, it was awesome. Beautiful, crisp, fall day followed by a still, cool, starry night. Enjoyed a small fire at my campsite that first evening... The next three days it rained cats and dogs all day, every day. My boots were soaked. My sleeping bag was drenched. I froze at night. It was phuq'n miserable. When I finally limped back home on the 4th day (why I didn't turn around after the first night, I'll never know - did I mention I was 18?), I had blisters the size of quarters all over my feet - bottoms, tops, and around the outside of my feet, too! So painful, I couldn't even walk. I laid on the couch consuming mass quantities of beer to try and dull the pain. Could barely hobble to the terlet to relieve myself of all the beer I was putting down...

Not too many hours after I had ensconced myself on the couch, my buddy calls to say he's got tickets to a big bluegrass festival over in Maryland. He implores me, "C'mon, let's go! You ain't hurtin' that bad that you pass up free tickets to a major music festival..." I was really into bluegrass music at that time, so I mustered the strength to get up and pack a few things, and off we went. After supplying ourselves with enough liquid victuals for the long weekend, we got there, pitched our tents, and set out to hunt up some fun for the evening. I found a group of folks about my age or a little older, gathered around a nice fire. I was sitting around the fire with them that evening, and I put down the better 3/4 of a bottle of Wild Irish Rose... Gawd, is that stuff ever horrible. First and last time for that shiit for me...
:s0170:

At some point during the evening, I know not when, I passed out face-first into that campfire. I was sitting cross-legged in front of the fire and pretty close to it, and I... just... tipped.... over... into it... Thank God at least one person wasn't as phuq'd up as I was, noticed what happened, grabbed me by the collar, and yanked me out of that fire. I didn't even know what had happened, even after they got me to come around. I had some pretty long hair at the time, and I lost a fair portion of it on the right side of my head. Got a pretty good scald mark from a hot rock of the fire pit that I bashed my head into, too. Being 18, the hair grew back pretty quickly (couple of years or so), but it took decades for that patch of skin on the side of my head to look normal again. I still have a hard time getting my hair to grow there, 4+ decades later. The things we do when we're young... and stupid... :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I once literally fell into a burnin' ring o' fire...

Story Time... :)

When I was 18, I went on 4-day 50-mile solo backpack trip along the top of a mountain ridge in northern Virginia. First day and night, it was awesome. Beautiful, crisp, fall day followed by a still, cool, starry night. Enjoyed a small fire at my campsite that first evening... The next three days it rained cats and dogs every day, all day. My boots were soaked. My sleeping bag was drenched. I froze at night. It was phuq'n miserable. When I finally limped back home on the 4th day (why I didn't turn around after the first night, I'll never know - did I mention I was 18?), I had blisters the size of quarters all over my feet - bottoms, tops, and around the outside of my feet, too! So painful, I couldn't even walk. I laid on the couch drinking mass quantities of beer to try and dull the pain. Could barely hobble to the terlet to relieve myself of all the beer I was putting down...

Not too many hours after I had ensconced myself on the couch, my buddy calls to say he's got tickets to a big bluegrass festival over in Maryland. He implores me, "C'mon, let's go! You ain't hurtin' that bad that you pass up free tickets to a major music festival..." I was really into bluegrass music at that time, so I mustered the strength to get up and pack a few things, and off we went. After supplying ourselves with enough liquid victuals for the long weekend, we got there, pitched our tents, and set out to hunt up some fun for the evening. I found a group of folks about my age or a little older, gathered around a nice fire. I was sitting around the fire with them that evening, and I put down the better 3/4 of a bottle of Wild Irish Rose... Gawd, if that stuff ever horrible. First and last time for that shiit for me...

At some point during the evening, I know not when, I passed out face-first into that campfire. I was sitting cross-legged in front of the fire and pretty close to it, and I just... tipped.... over... Thank God at least one person wasn't as phuq'd up as I was, noticed what happened, grabbed me by the collar, and yanked me out of that fire. I didn't even know what had happened, even after they got me to come around. I had some pretty long hair at the time, and I lost a fair portion of it on the right side of my head. Got a pretty good scald mark from a hot rock of the fire pit that I bashed my head into, too. Being 18, the hair grew back pretty quickly (couple of years or so), but it took years for that patch of skin to look normal again. I still have a hard time getting my hair to grow there, 4+ decades later. The things we do when we're young... and stupid... :rolleyes:
Life of the party!

Last Edited:
Unfortunately many stupid tricks with guns kill someone other than the perpetrator. My mother, when she and dad lived in Virginia, heard some hunters talking about "sound shots" and "sight shots". Turned out what these "hunters" meant by "sound shot" was when you hear something in the brush or woods and blast away at it without identifying it visually. !!!!!!!!

I,m sorry but BULLSHT! To me something like this should be treated just like you shot some guy walking down the street. Some guy walking looks like a Bear? Unless the "hunter" forgot his glasses at home and is near blind the person did NOT look like a damn Bear. He shot "at" noise".

I had a real life incident last night that was just strange as hell. I thought for sure there was a really good chance I was going to have to step up and dirt nap a bunch of people. Thankfully (I hope) they were just incredibly stupid.
so first off its 11:30ish pm last night, I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood, usually not much traffic at all that late at night. I'm laying in bed and just hear older v8 style engines blowing through the 4 way stop time after time and a lot more traffic than usual. So I start wondering what's up and if some crims are casing properties or what so I start keeping an eye out. Never did see much, but then I hear voices talking outside my window so I'm like alright, time to throw on the pants and get my gear on again its 11:30.
so I throw my pants on and grab my pistol and hand held flashlight, head downstairs and take a peak out the blinds all around, I have a pretty unobstructed view of the entire yard, everywhere except the garage. I don't see anything, so I check the tweaker peeker before opening the front door cause there's a little alcove someone could hide. All clear, so I head outside slowly and quietly creeping all clear so far. I'm out there about maybe 30 seconds to where I hear a car coming so I kinda crouch down behind a car to not be seen, two cars stop at the stop sign right under a street light, immediately at least three people come running across lawns (this was a few houses down from me) but they run right at me. They are all roughly Senior highschool aged kids, two were chasing one kid who I guess was hiding from them (probably the voice(s) I heard)
about 15-20' from me they stop and turn another direction to evade the captures and run back in the direction of the two cars. Seemingly a "tussle" breaks out I wouldn't call it a fight, just a struggle the whole thing seems really odd no one is really yelling for help or anything. There's about a total of six people in both cars out involved in the commotion I quickly take some photos and start video recording at this point. I can clearly hear them talking very loudly about "grab him, grab him" "put him in the trunk" I'm like "OH bubblegum!" this just went from weird to crap I can't let this happen.. So I quickly come up closer to them about 30' away and blast em with my monster custom ordered BLF Q8 flashlight on bright and I'm like "what the Phuq is going here? When really my dumb bubblegum should have said "stop show me your hands!" They all seemed to stop pretty quickly and told me there were playing some game called manhunt or fugitive one of those two, it looked like some had some Raspberry's on their faces at first but upon a closer look it was some face paint or something. The car in front took off pretty shortly after I confronted them. I'm telling these kids I'm calling the cops and the show me their phone which to me doesn't mean crap, I didn't really look at it all to hard. They claimed it was some group and they do this every year and the coos knew about it, they said the cops are right down the street and pointed. I was telling them "you don't see what this looks like? Its 11:30pm and its looks like your out here kidnapping people, Being extremely loud etc." "This is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.." They all pretty peacefully got back in the remaining car and left, I never once did hear anyone call out for help.

the entire time I was just thinking OK keep calm, safety off, and just squeeze if need be. Honestly we were all really to close for comfort but with all the homes surrounding I kinda wanted to right about where I was. Phuqin kids these days man...
i did call the police right after and quickly stated what was going on, in the middle of taking my name and addy I told her, if there's any charges or filings or whatever I don't want my info on the report. She didn't utter another single solitary thing and the dispatcher just immediately hung up. I was like "Oh ok. That's how it is." I kinda get it, but still. What a worthless system of civil protection we have. And honestly the "system" is way too effin stupid to be trusted fully. Don't watch tour back for one second or not second guess them and they gladly throw you and info under the bus and put a target square on your back.

anyway. That was my little saga last night. Glad I wasn't on the news. Although with the video footage and all I don't think it would have been much a trial at all, But who knows. Glad I didn't have to find out! Glad they didn't have to find out either. Glad I had a full mag of "high capacity" 16 rounds if need be.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top