JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have the fortunate situation of living within short walking distance of the Santiam River. In a survival scenario where I would possibly need to draw water from the river, what things should be taken into account? (cleanliness issues). I understand that different scenarios would present different problems for drawing water from the river. How would you utilize this resource? In all kinds of circumstances/scenarios?

I'm going for a walk down there today to check it out a little closer.

for small quantities, U/V sterilization works great. In a situation where the grid is down for a very long time, you'd be better off straining it through a cheesecloth, boiling it, then running it through a ceramic filter. There's a book by Wesley Rawles called "How to survive TEOTWAWKI" which covers alot of things - making potable water included. Ceramic filters are relatively cheap, require no electricity, and are easy to clean. (i need to quit running my mouth and get some) let us know how the trip to the river goes.

How far up/down river are you?
Ag runoff is a factor, and below Sweet Home (on the S. fork) or below Stayton on the (N. fork) will be a factor.
Stayton's water Dept. tests regularly and can tell you how often and to what degree they chlorinate.
Sweet Home can probably do the same.
Both probably have issues with water quality out of the respective reservoirs. (You know what swimmers do in that stuff? LOL)
I would use extensive treatment/filtering/boiling below the confluence for sure.

Stayton, I am not native to this area, I grew up in Yamhill. What is the story on the Santiam? As far as the reservoirs and any other interesting information a local should know?

for small quantities, U/V sterilization works great. In a situation where the grid is down for a very long time, you'd be better off straining it through a cheesecloth, boiling it, then running it through a ceramic filter. There's a book by Wesley Rawles called "How to survive TEOTWAWKI" which covers alot of things - making potable water included. Ceramic filters are relatively cheap, require no electricity, and are easy to clean. (i need to quit running my mouth and get some) let us know how the trip to the river goes.

Here is a link to directions for building your own filter out of 5 gallon pails, cheaply: Home Made Berkey Water Filter by Daire.

There are many sources for the filters, but here is one: MTBE filters.

And here is an article showing how to care for the filters: <broken link removed>

Here is a link to directions for building your own filter out of 5 gallon pails, cheaply: Home Made Berkey Water Filter by Daire.

There are many sources for the filters, but here is one: MTBE filters.

And here is an article showing how to care for the filters: <broken link removed>

Thanks for that!! Obviously I'm new to alot of this and appreciate the help from those that know. Would that filter be enough to take care of the water from the river?

Thanks for that!! Obviously I'm new to alot of this and appreciate the help from those that know. Would that filter be enough to take care of the water from the river?

As I understand it, Berkey water filter systems are used by the United Nations (hawk, ptooey) relief agencies in third world nations to provide emergency clean water. This might answer some of your questions: <broken link removed> .

Their systems are expensive (the gummint always go first class because they aren't paying). You can make your own far cheaper.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top