JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market for a new watch, and I imagine some of you guys are into watches. I'm looking for something tuff, and pretty basic looking, for under $200.

I've looked at a few online and think I'm down to the final three -

Luminox -
I can get one for about $150, but have heard mixed reviews, some, very bad! I like the look of them though.

Traser -
I can get the P6500, which looks a lot like the Luminox, for about $130. It has tritium illumination which is cool. Also heard some mixed reviews

G-Shock -
I had one, it broke, but that may have been my fault. It's digital, which is kinda nice, but kinda childish. Cheap, about $100. I hear good things about them.

Do any of you have, or have had any of these watches? Anything else I should look at in the same price range?

I generally wear Citizen "Eco-Drive" watches. They are self charging by light. Even ambient room lighting. Never need a new battery. My personal experience has been that they are tough, long wearing and extremely accurate. They come in a ton of styles!

I had a Traser and sold it. Luminox and Trasers have the tritium but have smallish dials. In my humblest of opinions they are over priced for what you get. You can get a very good Citizen Eco-drive, Seiko automatic or other style Casios other than G-Shocks which would be just as durable for the price of a Traser or Luminox.

I like my G-Shocks (DW6600, DW5600, G-100(analog). They are easy to operate without manuals, tough as nails and I get about 5-7 years on a battery, don't use the backlight much. However, the watches I wear the most are my Citizen Eco-Drive BM6400($150.00 roughly) and slightly modified automatic Seiko SKX171($200.00 roughly). They glow fine for a long time, especially if your eyes are adjusted for the dark.

As Sgt. Nambu said, the Citizen eco-drives are tough as well. I wear my BM6400 shooting, chainsawing, splitting wood, working around the property and have never had a problem or thought twice about it. For that matter, I have done the same thing with my automatic Seiko.

Best of luck with your quest!
Mike

I think it depends on how you're going to use it.

I will tell you that as "childish" as a G shock might be, it's the only watch I will wear on duty. It can take every bit of torture you throw at it and keep going. I have had 3 in the last 15 years. They last that long. I've had the same cloth band on the last two. The only reason I don't have my original is because I stupidly assumed Fred Myers jewelers could replace the battery correctly. They didn't and it got water damage.

4 years in the Marine Corps, all over the world, salt water, sand, mud, banging it against things you name it, it still kept working. We dropped it off a 15 floor building and it didn't even have a mark on it. A Hummer rolled over it and it didn't flinch.

For the money I don't think you can beat it.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input. IheartSig, what model G Shock did you have that lasted through all that?

I plan to use it for everyday use. Work (railroad), shooting, outdoors...

Thanks for the input. IheartSig, what model G Shock did you have that lasted through all that?

I'm not sure I remember what model it was, I bet I could find it it online though. I'll check for it tomorrow, I bet I can find a picture.

I don't mean to come off as a GShock fan boy Haha I just happen to have a love/love relationship with them I guess.

Mtpockets is right though, they ARE big watches, I think, personally, that's one of the reasons I like them though.

For a "nicer" (150 range) watch I have an Invicta Sea Spider I really like. I don't get to wear it much because I'm tough on my watches and no matter what I always manage to bang it into something or scrape it on something :(.

I'm in the market for a new watch, and I imagine some of you guys are into watches. I'm looking for something tuff, and pretty basic looking, for under $200.

I've looked at a few online and think I'm down to the final three -

Luminox -
I can get one for about $150, but have heard mixed reviews, some, very bad! I like the look of them though.

Traser -
I can get the P6500, which looks a lot like the Luminox, for about $130. It has tritium illumination which is cool. Also heard some mixed reviews

G-Shock -
I had one, it broke, but that may have been my fault. It's digital, which is kinda nice, but kinda childish. Cheap, about $100. I hear good things about them.

Do any of you have, or have had any of these watches? Anything else I should look at in the same price range?

Go to Costco get a citizen eco drive and don't look back.
Never needs batteries and I and my wife have run these for now going on 10 years and under 200.

Here is the new model of the watch I had RedneckRampage, GW2310FB-1

<broken link removed>

That's as close as I could get, it would appear that they no longer make the exact watch and this is the updated version. I will tell you that the only thing I have had to routinely replace was the band. I made the switch to a cloth type Velcro with a clip and have had that band for almost 9 years now.

I seem to manage destroy all daily wear watches regardless if they're high-end or low end. The weak point in ALL of them is the wrist strap pins.

Now I just stick to the $25 Wal-Mart jobbies. I'm wearing an Armitron that looks a lot like a G-Shock with reverse LED display/EL back-lighting, cost me $25 and has lasted every bit as long as the super spendy watches I've had.

I seem to manage destroy all daily wear watches regardless if they're high-end or low end. The weak point in ALL of them is the wrist strap pins.

Now I just stick to the $25 Wal-Mart jobbies. I'm wearing an Armitron that looks a lot like a G-Shock with reverse LED display/EL back-lighting, cost me $25 and has lasted every bit as long as the super spendy watches I've had.

I feel your pain Stomper, I finally had to go to a cloth band because it was the straps and joints that were breaking on my watches. I've had this band for close to 7 years now. I don't know what Ill do if it ever breaks.

20141223_062800.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top