JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the market for a new watch, and I imagine some of you guys are into watches. I'm looking for something tuff, and pretty basic looking, for under $200.

I've looked at a few online and think I'm down to the final three -

Luminox -
I can get one for about $150, but have heard mixed reviews, some, very bad! I like the look of them though.

Traser -
I can get the P6500, which looks a lot like the Luminox, for about $130. It has tritium illumination which is cool. Also heard some mixed reviews

G-Shock -
I had one, it broke, but that may have been my fault. It's digital, which is kinda nice, but kinda childish. Cheap, about $100. I hear good things about them.

Do any of you have, or have had any of these watches? Anything else I should look at in the same price range?

I generally wear Citizen "Eco-Drive" watches. They are self charging by light. Even ambient room lighting. Never need a new battery. My personal experience has been that they are tough, long wearing and extremely accurate. They come in a ton of styles!

I had a Traser and sold it. Luminox and Trasers have the tritium but have smallish dials. In my humblest of opinions they are over priced for what you get. You can get a very good Citizen Eco-drive, Seiko automatic or other style Casios other than G-Shocks which would be just as durable for the price of a Traser or Luminox.

I like my G-Shocks (DW6600, DW5600, G-100(analog). They are easy to operate without manuals, tough as nails and I get about 5-7 years on a battery, don't use the backlight much. However, the watches I wear the most are my Citizen Eco-Drive BM6400($150.00 roughly) and slightly modified automatic Seiko SKX171($200.00 roughly). They glow fine for a long time, especially if your eyes are adjusted for the dark.

As Sgt. Nambu said, the Citizen eco-drives are tough as well. I wear my BM6400 shooting, chainsawing, splitting wood, working around the property and have never had a problem or thought twice about it. For that matter, I have done the same thing with my automatic Seiko.

Best of luck with your quest!
Mike

I think it depends on how you're going to use it.

I will tell you that as "childish" as a G shock might be, it's the only watch I will wear on duty. It can take every bit of torture you throw at it and keep going. I have had 3 in the last 15 years. They last that long. I've had the same cloth band on the last two. The only reason I don't have my original is because I stupidly assumed Fred Myers jewelers could replace the battery correctly. They didn't and it got water damage.

4 years in the Marine Corps, all over the world, salt water, sand, mud, banging it against things you name it, it still kept working. We dropped it off a 15 floor building and it didn't even have a mark on it. A Hummer rolled over it and it didn't flinch.

For the money I don't think you can beat it.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input. IheartSig, what model G Shock did you have that lasted through all that?

I plan to use it for everyday use. Work (railroad), shooting, outdoors...

Thanks for the input. IheartSig, what model G Shock did you have that lasted through all that?

I'm not sure I remember what model it was, I bet I could find it it online though. I'll check for it tomorrow, I bet I can find a picture.

I don't mean to come off as a GShock fan boy Haha I just happen to have a love/love relationship with them I guess.

Mtpockets is right though, they ARE big watches, I think, personally, that's one of the reasons I like them though.

For a "nicer" (150 range) watch I have an Invicta Sea Spider I really like. I don't get to wear it much because I'm tough on my watches and no matter what I always manage to bang it into something or scrape it on something :(.

I'm in the market for a new watch, and I imagine some of you guys are into watches. I'm looking for something tuff, and pretty basic looking, for under $200.

I've looked at a few online and think I'm down to the final three -

Luminox -
I can get one for about $150, but have heard mixed reviews, some, very bad! I like the look of them though.

Traser -
I can get the P6500, which looks a lot like the Luminox, for about $130. It has tritium illumination which is cool. Also heard some mixed reviews

G-Shock -
I had one, it broke, but that may have been my fault. It's digital, which is kinda nice, but kinda childish. Cheap, about $100. I hear good things about them.

Do any of you have, or have had any of these watches? Anything else I should look at in the same price range?

Go to Costco get a citizen eco drive and don't look back.
Never needs batteries and I and my wife have run these for now going on 10 years and under 200.

Here is the new model of the watch I had RedneckRampage, GW2310FB-1

<broken link removed>

That's as close as I could get, it would appear that they no longer make the exact watch and this is the updated version. I will tell you that the only thing I have had to routinely replace was the band. I made the switch to a cloth type Velcro with a clip and have had that band for almost 9 years now.

I seem to manage destroy all daily wear watches regardless if they're high-end or low end. The weak point in ALL of them is the wrist strap pins.

Now I just stick to the $25 Wal-Mart jobbies. I'm wearing an Armitron that looks a lot like a G-Shock with reverse LED display/EL back-lighting, cost me $25 and has lasted every bit as long as the super spendy watches I've had.

I seem to manage destroy all daily wear watches regardless if they're high-end or low end. The weak point in ALL of them is the wrist strap pins.

Now I just stick to the $25 Wal-Mart jobbies. I'm wearing an Armitron that looks a lot like a G-Shock with reverse LED display/EL back-lighting, cost me $25 and has lasted every bit as long as the super spendy watches I've had.

I feel your pain Stomper, I finally had to go to a cloth band because it was the straps and joints that were breaking on my watches. I've had this band for close to 7 years now. I don't know what Ill do if it ever breaks.

20141223_062800.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads