JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When you are required by law to use a service (DOL) and they fail in protecting your data, there should be repercussions...

"The personal information of more than a quarter million licensed professionals may have been exposed in a breach of a Washington state Department of Licensing database, agency officials said Friday.
The agency, which licenses around 40 categories of businesses and professionals — everything from auctioneers and private detectives to tattoo artists and real estate agents — said it temporarily shut down its online licensing system, known as POLARIS, early last week after learning of "suspicious activity involving professional and occupational license data," according to a spokesperson and a statement posted Thursday on the agency's website."

It appears that CPL holders and Firearms dealer licenses are included in the "Professional or Occupational Licenses".

Where do you see CPLs on that list?

If you click on "firearms" it says that local law enforcement agencies issue and renew the CPL, which is consistent with my experience. My CPL only includes the name of my local police department, not the DOL.

Sadly voters set up a system they have to live with. If there is some kind of "pay out" over this the people who dropped the ball will be out nothing. None of them will lose their jobs or be in any way put out. Tax payers are. Wife has a PI License and has to take care of the annual license for the business we work for. So her name is all over the info. I told her a couple weeks ago I suspected this is what happened. She was having no luck getting the business license renewed, site kept blocking her. She finally managed to get the business license done the old fashion way by mail. I told her I suspected what was going on was they get nailed by hackers and were not wanting to admit it. I was right.

Where do you see CPLs on that list?

If you click on "firearms" it says that local law enforcement agencies issue and renew the CPL, which is consistent with my experience. My CPL only includes the name of my local police department, not the DOL.
I am no attorney, but my interwebs sleuthing finds the following.....

On DOL's website it shows this:

How is the Department of Licensing involved in firearms sales and transfers?

Law enforcement agencies (LEAs) run background checks and issue concealed pistol licenses. DOL is the record keeper for firearms information. Data is available to LEAs or correctional agencies only.

Under RCW 9.41.070 (Concealed pistol license-Application-Fee-Renewal) it states:

(b) Beginning with concealed pistol licenses that expire on or after August 1, 2018, the department of licensing shall mail a renewal notice approximately ninety days before the license expiration date to the licensee at the address listed on the concealed pistol license application, or to the licensee's new address if the licensee has notified the department of licensing of a change of address. Alternatively, if the licensee provides an email address at the time of license application, the department of licensing may send the renewal notice to the licensee's email address. The notice must contain the date the concealed pistol license will expire, the amount of renewal fee, the penalty for late renewal, and instructions on how to renew the license.

I'm guessing the only way the DOL is going to know where to send the renewal, is if they have that info.

I am no attorney, but my interwebs sleuthing finds the following.....

On DOL's website it shows this:

How is the Department of Licensing involved in firearms sales and transfers?

Law enforcement agencies (LEAs) run background checks and issue concealed pistol licenses. DOL is the record keeper for firearms information. Data is available to LEAs or correctional agencies only.

Under RCW 9.41.070 (Concealed pistol license-Application-Fee-Renewal) it states:

(b) Beginning with concealed pistol licenses that expire on or after August 1, 2018, the department of licensing shall mail a renewal notice approximately ninety days before the license expiration date to the licensee at the address listed on the concealed pistol license application, or to the licensee's new address if the licensee has notified the department of licensing of a change of address. Alternatively, if the licensee provides an email address at the time of license application, the department of licensing may send the renewal notice to the licensee's email address. The notice must contain the date the concealed pistol license will expire, the amount of renewal fee, the penalty for late renewal, and instructions on how to renew the license.

I'm guessing the only way the DOL is going to know where to send the renewal, is if they have that info.
That's around the time the format of the card changed too. And where they previously said "License to Carry Concealed Pistol" at the top front, they now say "Concealed Pistol License".

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top