JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had been working on drafting letters to politicians earlier in the week, but succumbed to a nasty flu like bug and was incapacitated for nearly 48hrs Thursday through Friday. Woke up Saturday morning feeling a bit like Rip Van Winkle and found this delightful piece of news...

Sheriff's Office News -In the Aftermath of Two Shootings

Dear Citizens,
The recent shootings in Clackamas and Connecticut are on everyone's mind. We normally receive 12 applications for new concealed handgun licenses per day; on Monday we received 45, plus stacks of renewals for permits that have been inactive for months.

The Sheriff continues with talk about safe storage and how that's all of our responsibility, but I think that's something most of us already know.

Though the reason I post this in legal and political is that I went to share this with my Oregon state House rep, Ben Unger, and discovered that he has had no contact from any pro-gun rights group, none! He even made it sound as if I were among the first, if not the first, to contact him from our side of the issue. Meanwhile he's been in contact with Ceasefire Oregon and "concerned moms."

This was a startling revelation to me, because the article about the CHL applications in Washington county shows we have the head count here in Oregon to matter. The retail sales across the country show we have serious money at our disposal. We also have capital and resources in the form of good formal shooting ranges like those at Tri-County Gun Club, Yamhill County Sportsmen's Association, and others. But if our reps aren't hearing from us or the powers that be at places like these ranges, then we are clearly not utilizing our abilities, and we will loose.

Well what to do? If you're a nobody like me with no land and no sway at any club, contact your rep, and at a minimum spend at least as much time writing as you did searching online retailers for magazines. If you're a somebody and you can arrange to shut down the range for a period to have some hands on time with our reps in order to educate them in a friendly and fun setting, there will be no cheaper or more guaranteed way of getting their support and killing any anti-gun bill dead in its tracks.

We have the numbers, we have the money, we have the resources, all we lack is the doing. So what are we waiting for!

I've already sent a letter to my state senator Bruce Starr. Unfortunately my GOP rep lost to a Dem so there's no point in writing to him. I will be writing to my new rep once he takes office. I also wrote a nasty gram to Dingbat Burdick but she's hopeless.

Bill, Lindsay lost the last election? Starr is pretty pro-2a, so good news there.

I think I am going to send a letter to Lindsay and Starr offering to give them firearms instruction if they so choose. I was a DoD certified instructor for my last year in the Marine Corps and I think teaching them some basic shooting techniques will show them how an afternoon at the range can be enjoyable and teach them guns are not so scary, that is if they aren't already in to it. Maybe they'll invite some of their colleagues.

Bill, Lindsay lost the last election? Starr is pretty pro-2a, so good news there.

I think I am going to send a letter to Lindsay and Starr offering to give them firearms instruction if they so choose. I was a DoD certified instructor for my last year in the Marine Corps and I think teaching them some basic shooting techniques will show them how an afternoon at the range can be enjoyable and teach them guns are not so scary, that is if they aren't already in to it. Maybe they'll invite some of their colleagues.

Yeah Lindsay lost to Gallegos. I have no idea how an incumbent can lose in this day & age of gerrymandering but both he and Katie Eyre managed to lose to Dems. Must've been a Barry O coattails thing.

Yeah Lindsay lost to Gallegos. I have no idea how an incumbent can lose in this day & age of gerrymandering but both he and Katie Eyre managed to lose to Dems. Must've been a Barry O coattails thing.

Actually it's that the Dems ran on the platform of economic illiteracy, blaming Intel and Nike for Oregon's revenue problems and the people just ate it up. But that's off topic and beside the point.....

I've already sent a letter to my state senator Bruce Starr. Unfortunately my GOP rep lost to a Dem so there's no point in writing to him. I will be writing to my new rep once he takes office. I also wrote a nasty gram to Dingbat Burdick but she's hopeless.

Ben Unger beat Katie Eyre, I don't know who was in the next district over into Hillsboro, but you need to contact them anyways. They haven't official taken office yet but the wheels of their perverse form of justice are already turning, so it's important to inform them that the 2nd amendment and all rights aren't a partisan issue.

According to some Ted talks I've seen, they're supposed to respond well to principles of harm and fairness, so I've been spending time talking about how gun control is collective punishment of the innocent all the meanwhile still allowing the criminals to cause their harm.

With the exception of Ginny Burdick (honestly, there's nothing there to work with... on ANYTHING) I have sent a (IMHO) decently worded letter (OK, an email) to every single Oregon Legislator concerning banning CHL's from carrying in public schools, and have already received replies back from a few of them (including my State Rep.), ranging from total agreement to the generic non-commital response. It'll be interesting to see the final tally of who actually responds back regardless if they agree, or not, or with vaugeness.

In any event, I'm keeping score on all of them and have no qualms posting their actions or inactions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top