JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I got divorced, I sold my Old Town canoe and got a Blackwater Dagger kayak. After I got tired of falling out every time I took it fishing, I got a pontoon boat at Costco for $350. Best dang platform for fishing lakes and rivers you will ever find. I've got pockets for everything, a cushy swivel seat, rack for my beer cooler, an anchor system, it can have an electric motor mounted, and it can be disassembled and stored in the trunk of a car and be re-assembled and ready for the river in 15 minutes.

2L0wczCdQ7GfCSWZZJ5ATw.jpeg

The lucky person here was your land lord.
He found someone to take a canoe off his hands for free.
Lol got the same canoe sitting in my front yard .
Been there for 2 years never use it to big to take anywhere.

Nice score!

I have spent hundreds of miles and possibly a thousand or more miles in a canoe.

When i was in scouting we had yearly trips of 50+ miles that lasted 7-10 days.
Have fun. Get life jackets. A decent paddle can make all the difference in the world. I suggest a pond for learning on a non windy day. If you choose to use it for overnight trips or multi day floats on rivers get some dry bags. Learn how to load it correctly.

One of my neatest memories from paddling was a mayfly hatch on the Missouri River. I was the only person armed with a fly rod. I caught fish for everyone that evening. So much fun.

Yep, I've already been looking at accessories and such. I'll hit the local Sportsman's Warehouse after the holidays and try on life vests and look at paddles. Before spring, I'll look into the dry bags.:s0155:

I realize it's a long stretch but, can anyone possibly identify the maker just from the pics? Maybe someone has one that looks pretty close to this one?:)

Although it is similar, I don't believe it is a Coleman. Probably a knock off to be sold at sporting goods places like Big 5. No matter, if it floats it's fun!

From the looks of the design I wouldn't expect it to track or turn all that well so don't get discouraged it it doesn't want to go exactly where you want it to. Not being a Negative Ned - just voice of experience.

Canoeing is a lot like shooting - it looks easy as pie on videos but there's a whole lot of skill in actually doing things most efficiently. :)

One detail I forgot to mention is that this is a fiberglass canoe and not plastic. That's why I checked it over pretty thoroughly for any weak spots. Still haven't been able to positively ID it but, I am just thinking I'm going to take care of it and enjoy it for as long as possible.:D

Anyone have a suggestion on how to bring back the paint life of the faded red fiberglass?

The lucky person here was your land lord.
He found someone to take a canoe off his hands for free.
Lol got the same canoe sitting in my front yard .
Been there for 2 years never use it to big to take anywhere.
My wife wants a canoe so that we can spend next summer paddling with the wee one. :s0092: I like using canoes for just plain paddling fun and trips. @HA556, you scored! Wife's step-grandma has a canoe just sitting by the house, but we've not asked her about it since the husband (wife's grandfather) passed away over a year ago :confused:

Wife's step-grandma has a canoe just sitting by the house, but we've not asked her about it since the husband (wife's grandfather) passed away over a year ago
Yeah, you might not want to let it sit out there to long. I've read the UV rays play havoc on canoes exteriors.:s0092:

Read that these should be stored upside down resting on their gunnels so, ran down to the Depot and got a set of horses while they were on sale for $25 and some change for a set of 2. Got the CanDo (that's what I named her) canoe up off the ground for the winter.

614df329-b249-478c-9607-52446d67cdc1.jpg bec25112-b607-4dbf-adcd-03b497d93b82.jpg

You'll need to get a title and register it. Sounds like you don't know who the former owner is, but don't worry, I run a title discovery business. If you send me $250 in cash I will research the former owner, get the title, and provide registration in your name.

A bargain at twice the price!

P

You'll need to get a title and register it. Sounds like you don't know who the former owner is, but don't worry, I run a title discovery business. If you send me $250 in cash I will research the former owner, get the title, and provide registration in your name.

A bargain at twice the price!

P
Well, if I was born yesterday, I sure didn't fall off the truck last night!:s0140:

I think I'm about 98% sure that I've ID my canoe maker. I believe it to be a 16' Frontiersman fiberglass canoe. It looks exactly like these three here:

307b2824350e25e9c2ae9ca3b4340312 (1).jpg 48724077_934.jpg 81854118_934.jpg

When weather turns nice, let me know if you need a hand on a calm body of water. There are a couple around here. I'll roll with as a safety monitor from my Kayak. There are a few around here that can be good for fishing and getting water legs (stability).

Oregon Marine Board requires a waterway access if 10' or longer. PFD, Light and noise maker required.

When I was a kid we hunted ducks / geese on the rivers back in Michigan with an old grumman canoe, The birds would get shot off the flats and they would move to the rivers. We would jump shoot them and it was a lot of fun. We killed a lot of ducks and geese that way. Also a lot of fox squirrels.

I've been down hard since Wed. with the flu but, have spent some time watching more videos. There definitely is more to solo canoeing than meets the eye. Looks like you don't sit on the rear seat and paddle when by your self. Got to be positioned more to the center and a little off to the side for better paddling technique and to get the canoe to track well. Also, it is recommended to be positioned on your knees. Might be a little tough for these legs and bones of mine!:D

From what I've been able to discover about the Frontiersman is that it is a really good canoe for lakes and calm bodies of water. Which is fine by me as I've no desire for river running. Perhaps I'll start me a journal and log my exploits (location, time and time of year) solo and with my son so that he can have something to reflect back on after I'm long gone.

Looks like you don't sit on the rear seat and paddle when by your self. Got to be positioned more to the center and a little off to the side for better paddling technique and to get the canoe to track well. Also, it is recommended to be positioned on your knees. Might be a little tough for these legs and bones of mine!:D
My first canoe was a 17' canoe and about 4' wide and if you sat in the middle seat, you could not get your paddle in the water. Most canoes over 10' are too wide to be able to sit in the middle seat and still paddle. My most recent one was 14' and very wide. Meant it was stable, but no way to row from the middle.

I noticed that yours has a well-defied raised keel, which should make it track very nicely on open water. Neither of mine did, and they were always going off course and a pain to keep tracking straight.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top