JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...the sig p938 can be carried in front jeans pocket (it's a bit heavy for that but it works, of course iwb or other carry methods are options).

Sig p938
Weight 16 oz (450 g)
Length 5.9 in (150 mm)
Width 1.1 in (28 mm)
Height 3.9 in (99 mm)

Ruger LC9s
Weight 17.1 oz (487 g)
Length 6.0 in (152 mm)
Width 0.9 in (22 mm)
Height 4.5 in (114 mm)

I carry a Ruger LC9s in my front BDU pocket almost every day with a BlackHawk size 3 nylon pocket holster. Not heavy at all with a good belt to hold your pants up.

I appendix carried my Kahr CM9 for a while but I am much happier pocket carrying my DB9 or LCP at work every day. I am a software engineer and sit at a desk behind locked doors most of the day but average a meeting or two on a daily basis. I found appendix carry to be kind of clunky and required shift when going from sitting to standing and standing to sitting.

My office is cold in the summer and hot in the winter. I will wear a lite jacket during the summer since I sit right under the AC duct. In the winter I have a small fan on my desk to keep me cool. Pocket carrying I don't have to dress around my carry piece like I did when I appendix carried. With pocket carrying every extra ounce counts... if you want to keep your pants up at least... so I usually carry my LCP. Some times I will carry my P32 if I know I have a lot of meetings and will be moving around a lot. In my office environment discretion is a MUST! I can't risk flashing my piece or printing. In my office that would cause quite an uproar. I do not work for a government agency so my employer actually expects me to work... and work efficiently. The more comfortable I am the more efficient I work. On occasion at my desk in the middle of the day I will tap my pocket just to make sure I hadn't forgotten to pack that morning... it is really easy to forget my EDC is there when I am pocket carrying.\

When I go into the "Big City" I almost always carry my XDs 3.3 in an appendix holster as I like the extra punch of a .45acp. It is just too big for everyday in the office though, for me at least.

Oh, a pocket holster is a must if you decide to pocket carry.

6'3" - 230 - 36" pants, 38" with an IWB.

Last Edited:
Is your dislike of Springfield political, mechanical, or ???

Anyone can take apart a Glock down to the last part in less than five minutes with a little practice or a video.
The XDs has some funky springs in the palm safety after the safety recall.

Go ahead and take yours apart then put it back together.
Even after you get it right. It still feels wrong with that crazy little sideways acting spring.

Nothing I wanted to trust my life too.

I see that you're not averse to revolvers, just another caliber.. yet you reload. Which is odd. Yea, you can get some revolvers in 9mm etc. and that might be a good thing, but as you know, a set of Lee dies is what, $25? and the logistics for .38/.357 is just that, as all other components are/can be quite compatible with what you have now.
Everyone should have a .38/.357.. especially reloaders.

I have limited experience with sub-compacts, but I've been quite happy with the 9mm Beretta Nano BU9.
(Although before buying ANY firearm, I recommend trying it out. Rent one at your range, or borrow from a friend, etc.)

8+1, (or 6+1 for the flush magazines, but I like having a place to put my pinky) light-weight, but top-heavy giving a great recoil recovery, lots of accessories available, and can be found well under $400. (Closer to $300 in my quick search just now.)

Lots of videos about it on YouTube. VERY accurate in the right hands.

I'd avoid the very early editions, as some have complaints about FTE.
Mine's a 2013 and it fires anything I've put through it without issue.

Not that you need to do any of these things, but I've upgraded the springs (DPM Systems) for less recoil, I use 100g Hornady Defense loads, changed out the sights to night-sights by Trijicon, and use a Crossbreed AIWB holster (and one from Beretta, a bit cheaper), and added some grip-tape. Recently added a Crimson Trace laser (Amazon has the best price I've found).

I carry it everywhere I go and barely notice it, even while driving. (I'm 6'2" and ~220lbs)
You'll appreciate it's smooth, snag-less sides. Several safety features, including the Glock-like safety trigger.

If you want pink or brown or green, there are grip-frames that can replace the stock black.
I like where Beretta put the serial number so such changes can be made without issue.

SO easy to break down, just a twist of a single point and it all comes apart nicely to clean and maintain.

Oh, and if you're an NRA instructor, be sure to check out the Beretta below-wholesale firearm discounts!

A few pics I've taken over the years... (hammered-bronze paint-job is my doing):

View attachment 506395View attachment 506396
View attachment 506397
View attachment 506398
View attachment 506399
View attachment 506400 View attachment 506401
View attachment 506402

Good luck in your pursuits! Come back and let us know which one you decided to get!

Frank in Hillsboro

I like the Nano.

Last Edited:
Conspicuously absent in this thread is the excellent Walther PPS.
I carry a .40 PPS "Classic" every day, but it has the ambi paddle-type mag release, which some people don't like. There's also a "safety feature" which (theoretically) requires removal of the backstrap to disassemble w/out pulling the trigger... some people don't like that either

The PPS M2 has an American style button release, a better trigger (imo), and no rail. It's also got better ergos than the earlier model and does away w the backstrap falderal.

I think the M2 is a better thought-out piece, but mine still sits while I EDC the Classic.

Also... P99c in .40 or 9mm. Not technically a SUBcompact, but it's still quite a bit smaller than the XDMc 3.8, or HK USP9c... guns I have on hand to compare it to. No Glocks or M&Ps here.

Springfield XD mod 2. I have the .45 and it holds 14 rounds with the extended grip. The 9mm holds 13 rounds in sub compact mode and 16+1 with the extended grip. They have a grip safety and metal hi vis sights.

I wouldn't own a Glock .

Web pics
DSC_5231.jpg Springfield-Armory-XD-Mod-2-Subcompact-2.jpg

From Springfield on the XDs
All the bullets in the world mean nothing if your concealed carry handgun fails when you need it most. The XD-S Mod.2® in 9mm is a less than one-inch wide pinnacle of reliability. 25K rounds without a stoppage and an integral grip safety for total peace of mind when carrying.

Anyone can take apart a Glock down to the last part in less than five minutes with a little practice or a video.
The XDs has some funky springs in the palm safety after the safety recall.

Go ahead and take yours apart then put it back together.
Even after you get it right. It still feels wrong with that crazy little sideways acting spring.

Nothing I wanted to trust my life too.

None of my pistols will need to be taken apart for at least 20000 rounds. You just buy right the first time. Never had to change a part yet to get them to function or fix the the triggers to be able to hit anything.

Springfield XD mod 2. I have the .45 and it holds 14 rounds with the extended grip. The 9mm holds 13 rounds in sub compact mode and 16+1 with the extended grip. They have a grip safety and metal hi vis sights.

I wouldn't own a Glock .

Web pics
View attachment 506441 View attachment 506442

From Springfield on the XDs
All the bullets in the world mean nothing if your concealed carry handgun fails when you need it most. The XD-S Mod.2® in 9mm is a less than one-inch wide pinnacle of reliability. 25K rounds without a stoppage and an integral grip safety for total peace of mind when carrying.

SWEET!!!! He got the "grip zone"!! :s0108:

How small and light r you looking for?

Small, not light. I've a compact Smith in .40 that I love but even in an IWB set-up it's just big enough that the standing to sitting transition causes printing and discomfort sometimes. Weight isn't a factor for me, just overall size. Capacity isn't a big issue as a single stack would allow me to toss a couple in my pocket and be adequate enough.

From what I'm reading a sub-compact or small compact in 9mm would give me an easier shooting piece at office building ranges than a .40 would and I'm okay with that. Poly framed, metal, doesn't matter to me. Price point and ergonomics are what really speak to me.

I see that you're not averse to revolvers, just another caliber.. yet you reload. Which is odd. Yea, you can get some revolvers in 9mm etc. and that might be a good thing, but as you know, a set of Lee dies is what, $25? and the logistics for .38/.357 is just that, as all other components are/can be quite compatible with what you have now.
Everyone should have a .38/.357.. especially reloaders.

To put it quite bluntly; I'm poor, man. Going to be living paycheque to paycheque while I get back on my feet from a nasty divorce. I don't want to have to gather all the bits for another caliber when I've already got brass and bullets for the ones I shoot currently. Did have a couple nice .357 revolvers but got out of them a couple years ago to reduce my caliber spread.

If you shop smart you can get a Sig p938 on your budget . A 16oz subcompact, all metal with great sights, night sights , and with the hogue rubber grips w the extended mag makes for a good grip. Its 7+1 with the extended , 6+1 with the short one. They shoot well for a small pistol. The targets were shot at 50 feet. I carry it more than anything else.

IMG_1161.JPG P1010293.JPG P1010288.JPG

If you shop smart you can get a Sig p938 on your budget . A 16oz subcompact, all metal with great sights, night sights , and with the hogue rubber grips w the extended mag makes for a good grip. Its 7+1 with the extended , 6+1 with the short one. They shoot well for a small pistol. The targets were shot at 50 feet. I carry it more than anything else.

Agree. I've been seeing them for $475-$499 new or $529 with laser at the cheapest. P938 is my everyday carry due to size, reliability, and "shootability".

A couple "btw/fyi" notes while we are talking about this gun, this site has a reduced weight hammer spring for $15 which I found to lighten up the already good single action trigger. Hammer Spring for Sig P938 and P238 Pistols
Also FYI this site has promag brand 10 shot and 6 shot mags for around $17 after the 10% off code. ProMag Sig Sauer P938 9mm Luger 10rd Magazine

I am partial to my Ruger LC9s. I've tried Shields, 43s, PPSs, and even Sig 938 and 238s. But for some reason, I keep coming back to my lowly Ruger. It just fits in my hand, and I seem to shoot it better.
d1125864ce725385f032367474fe7312.jpg

I have parts kits for the 1911s and the ARs. The p226 or 2022 or P09 or the XD well never see enough rounds by me to worry about it.. I like DA/SA with a decocker myself. Way to complicated for today's world.Or cocked and locked. :)

The P226 is very easy to work on. Especially the newer ones. I replaced the trigger shoe, installed SRT, and switched to an 18# hammer spring using only the factory grip remover and a punch.

Another vote for both the Shield and Walter PPS M2.

I own a Shield and it's a great subcompact piece. Lots of after-market support as well. I have a MagGuts kit to give me an extra round in the flat magazine.

The Walter PPS has the best ergonomics and best sized grips in my hands. Capacity is a little more limited and I couldn't justify having another small 9mm in my collection.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top