JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
KeyFeatures-DE50.jpg

:D

Agree. I've been seeing them for $475-$499 new or $529 with laser at the cheapest. P938 is my everyday carry due to size, reliability, and "shootability".

A couple "btw/fyi" notes while we are talking about this gun, this site has a reduced weight hammer spring for $15 which I found to lighten up the already good single action trigger. Hammer Spring for Sig P938 and P238 Pistols
Also FYI this site has promag brand 10 shot and 6 shot mags for around $17 after the 10% off code. ProMag Sig Sauer P938 9mm Luger 10rd Magazine

Are the Pro Mags any good ? I would like another mag but dam they're spendy. That's a great price.

Are the Pro Mags any good ? I would like another mag but dam they're spendy. That's a great price.

I haven't tried them yet. I would consider them strictly range/practice mags just because for ultimate realiability for carry I like to go with oem. Price and metal construction of the promags is a big plus.

Same with Glocks for me. jag, ets, magpul and maybe even kci? all make great functional mags but for Carry I would only use Glock factory mags.

Sorry not trying to derail this thread onto magazines but hey oem vs 3rd party mags may be relevant to Op's Choice of sub compact gun also I guess.

All good responses. I recommend the Bersa BP9cc because it has such a nice trigger, two 8 rd mags and disappears while carrying. I forget I have it on sometimes. It's been very reliable and so far shoots everything. Also the Walther PPQ is a midsize pistol but in the holster I use it's really not a issue and I get 15+1.

I've seen enough negative field reports on Pro Mag to never bother with them.
Somehow the brand hangs around so people must buy them.
The list of good mags is a short one.

Another vote for PPS-M2 to stay on topic.
I would bet my life on it.

The P226 is very easy to work on. Especially the newer ones. I replaced the trigger shoe, installed SRT, and switched to an 18# hammer spring using only the factory grip remover and a punch.

My model has the SRT trigger and stainless guide rod. So the 18# hammer spring is to reduce the pull . And still plenty reliable ? The stock trigger isn't too bad. Plenty safe anyways. I might try it though , thanks for the heads up.

Back to sub compact recommendations. For a lower cost pistol the Ruger LCP .380 has always worked as long as I was not shooting SWCs. I would think the LC9 would be gtg.

Last Edited:
I get it, this isn't what you were asking for, but after going round and round, my choice was a S&W model 642. Why? I can put it in an Uncle Mike's pocket liner and drop it in my pocket when I head out the door, every time. 5 rounds of .38+P beats the crap out of the auto I left at home. Just couldn't get comfortable with .380, but that's probably just me. For my uses, I think this is just the ticket. It shoot accurately, every time. Mine was sent back to Cylinder & Slide for a tune up, and it's a very special small firearm. I've got several other choices, but for a 'grab and go' I'm quite pleased with this one. FWIW, YMMV, etc....

I get it, this isn't what you were asking for, but after going round and round, my choice was a S&W model 642. Why? I can put it in an Uncle Mike's pocket liner and drop it in my pocket when I head out the door, every time. 5 rounds of .38+P beats the crap out of the auto I left at home. Just couldn't get comfortable with .380, but that's probably just me. For my uses, I think this is just the ticket. It shoot accurately, every time. Mine was sent back to Cylinder & Slide for a tune up, and it's a very special small firearm. I've got several other choices, but for a 'grab and go' I'm quite pleased with this one. FWIW, YMMV, etc....

That's a good choice, too. My 640 stainless gets carried a lot.

Small, not light. I've a compact Smith in .40 that I love but even in an IWB set-up it's just big enough that the standing to sitting transition causes printing and discomfort sometimes. Weight isn't a factor for me, just overall size. Capacity isn't a big issue as a single stack would allow me to toss a couple in my pocket and be adequate enough.

From what I'm reading a sub-compact or small compact in 9mm would give me an easier shooting piece at office building ranges than a .40 would and I'm okay with that. Poly framed, metal, doesn't matter to me. Price point and ergonomics are what really speak to me.
To put it quite bluntly; I'm poor, man. Going to be living paycheque to paycheque while I get back on my feet from a nasty divorce. I don't want to have to gather all the bits for another caliber when I've already got brass and bullets for the ones I shoot currently. Did have a couple nice .357 revolvers but got out of them a couple years ago to reduce my caliber spread.
Transitioning from working on a farm back into an office setting so my current handguns won't fit the bill for comfortable CC. I'm looking for real-world experiences that can recommend a carry piece in 9mm or .40 that isn't a Glock. I'm very set on those calibers as I don't want to have to add another one to reload.

I had a G-27 and only kept it for a couple months as the ergonomics were just not right for me. Been looking at both semi-auto and revolvers. And finally; $500 or less is ideal because I'm gonna be skint for the next couple years.

Edit; I'm about 230, and just under 6' in terms of bulk. I'm expecting to be constantly going from standing position to sitting and want to avoid needing to adjust whatever I'm carrying.
SP101 in 9mm $475ish LCP in 9mm $275ish
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQHXWD76OwOH6a6LZH6INUyXMdu4LvjfdGzPrV8MBJG3W4YDBkI.jpg
Sig 290 $400ish
P290RS_9_DAO%20_VG_2.jpg
CZ 2075 Rami $600ish
62366_2.jpg

To name my picks that aren't Glock.

To put it quite bluntly; I'm poor, man. Going to be living paycheque to paycheque while I get back on my feet from a nasty divorce. I don't want to have to gather all the bits for another caliber when I've already got brass and bullets for the ones I shoot currently. Did have a couple nice .357 revolvers but got out of them a couple years ago to reduce my caliber spread.
You should get the .40 out of your life.. everyone else has.

Gonna have to recommend the SCCY cpx2.
Put a couple hundred Winchester white and a hundred Winchester brown box down the tube today. Worth significantly more than 200 in my opinion. No problems at all, aside from some stiff mag springs. Has a stout recoil. Will be my backup or deep conceal pistol, will likely buy another.

Last Edited:
First and foremost, see if you can manage a G19 sized gun. And in that category the M&P 2.0 compact is getting glowing reviews.

If you absolutely must got with a subcompact, make absolutely sure you rent and try out the final contenders before you buy. Sub compacts are different animals and many people find them very unpleasant to shoot...even in 9mm. In this category, and since you ruled out Glock (which I understand), give the Shield a try.

Last Edited:
Transitioning from working on a farm back into an office setting so my current handguns won't fit the bill for comfortable CC. I'm looking for real-world experiences that can recommend a carry piece in 9mm or .40 that isn't a Glock. I'm very set on those calibers as I don't want to have to add another one to reload.

I had a G-27 and only kept it for a couple months as the ergonomics were just not right for me. Been looking at both semi-auto and revolvers. And finally; $500 or less is ideal because I'm gonna be skint for the next couple years.

Edit; I'm about 230, and just under 6' in terms of bulk. I'm expecting to be constantly going from standing position to sitting and want to avoid needing to adjust whatever I'm carrying.

FYI looks like Walther PPS M2 is around $270ish at sportsman's guide with 10% off code "SG3301"

Walther PPS M2, Semi-Automatic, 9mm, 3.18" Barrel, 7+1 Rounds - 702203, Semi-Automatic at Sportsman's Guide

Ad is here on left bottom of page: Sportsman's Guide - Outdoor and Hunting Gear, Guns, Ammo & More!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top