JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WAKE UP PEOPLE> I see the democrats are hard at work at the capital in SALEM, the oregon gun control advocates have GAINED 12 more cosponsors, [ALL democrats] of a bill that would BAN semi automatic rifles classified as ''assault rifles ''. HOW can it be a ''assault rifle" if it is NOT. A assault rifle has select fire capability both FULL AUTO and SEMI auto fire. Civilian ar's, and ak's are semi auto ONLY.

What ,the [democrats, and present administration] are saying is, its ok to ABORT [ KILL] BABY'S, but, you cannot have a SEMI automatic rifle. And, by not allowing CCW in schools, and shopping malls, making them ''gun free''zones they have also made it ILLEGAL for one to protect yourself and students in a school or shopping mall, when that is THE ONLY effective way of resisting a gunman.

Like they say, oregon and washington are 2 of Kalifornias largest countys . If you are a gun owner/shooter, you should make your voice heard.

So that must mean that the M14's I got qualified in teh service on are not assualt weapons because the ones we had on our submarines were all semi auto. I do not understand how or where the word assualt rifle comes from or means. I consider a semi auto designed for military or based on a military rifle to be an assualt rifle also.

James Ruby

Per the DOD, an assault rifle has select-fire capability, and fires an intermediate cartridge. Therefore, the M14 is not an assault rifle. Nor are shoulder arms without select-fire capability.

I do not understand how or where the word assualt rifle comes from
This (from Wikipedia) seems to be the generally accepted version but there are others.

The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", as in "to storm a position"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler[3] as a new name for the Maschinenpistole 43,[nb 1] subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularise the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

Write your senator and your reps. Federal and State. Tell them what you think. Do it now. Squawking on a forum does very little. While writing them may not do much more, you are at least voicing your opinion to them.

So that must mean that the M14's I got qualified in teh service on are not assualt weapons because the ones we had on our submarines were all semi auto. I do not understand how or where the word assualt rifle comes from or means. I consider a semi auto designed for military or based on a military rifle to be an assualt rifle also.

James Ruby

The M-14 is a battle rifle because it fires a full powered cartridge. In the army mine had a selector switch.

I have never quite figured out why Californian liberals after making their own state unlivable migrate up here and vote to make Oregon just like California. Simple blindness I presume.

Last Edited:
I have never quite figured out why Californian liberals after making their own state unlivable migrate up here and vote to make Oregon just like California. Simple blindness I presume.
No blindness at all just the simple physics of liberalism. They move to Oregon and don't appreciate or see what it has to offer, but only see what they think it needs, which is most of what they left behind in California and work hard to recreate.

Per the DOD, an assault rifle has select-fire capability, and fires an intermediate cartridge. Therefore, the M14 is not an assault rifle. Nor are shoulder arms without select-fire capability.

I think you might be confusing the M1A with the M-14, when i carried a M-14 in 67 it was defiantly a FULL AUTO, select fire weapon.As per JGRUBY"s post about a M-14 on a submarine being semi auto only, i do not know anything about that. But, i can see why. confined quarters, lots of problems with a 20 round mag being expended in close quarters. And, the Press has labeled most or anything that's black and,or, looks like a military issue type weapon as a ''assault rifle''

I'm not confused in the slightest. The G3 is a battle rifle, as is the M-14. Despite their full-auto capability, they still fire a full powered cartridge. An assault rifle fires an intermediate, such as 7.62 x 39, 5.45 x 39, or 5.56 x 45mm. And he mentioned an M14, not an M1A. My last trip into Iraq, some of our designated marksmen had M-14's, and as such, they had range and penetrative advantages way beyond that of our M-4's.

It was stated that they weren't assault weapons on here by Gruntjim.
Cant be both - either one way or the other.

James Ruby

Technically Those Rifles are not assault weapons because they don't use an intermediate cartridge.However...those who what to ban the evil 'black rifle' will lump them into that category anyway.That will probably include any auto loader that accepts a magazine greater than 10 rounds..

I had to explain to a Nam' era veteran yesterday at my local gun store why the rack of AR15s he was looking at weren't assault rifles.This mistake is because of how our media likes catch phrases like "assault rifle, high powered, clips,and armor piercing" to scare the public.

So is this a safe rifle it is not black! This is my wifes she did not like camo!

purpleak.jpg

Most military M-14's where full auto but the selector was pinned for semi only as they were hard to control in full auto with out proper training. They are also classed as a battle rifles because of the "full power 7.62x51 "used.

I consider a semi auto designed for military or based on a military rifle to be an assualt rifle also.

People who know absolutely nothing about guns, and who judge them based only upon their looks and color, agree with you. That's how rifles that are not "assault rifles" get banned by an "assault weapon" ban.

In other words, you agree with the Brady Campaign and Dianne Feinstein. You are known by the company you keep.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top